Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone in to Wild Camping

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yeah I think the weather is not going to be so great for our trip. Luckily skin is waterproof! :)

Last time I walked Great Glen Way in August I got soaked every single day.

It was a decade ago.

Last time I walked Great Glen Way in August I got soaked every single day.

It was a decade ago.

Took us eight days - not too bad as we a) enjoyed the walk so took our time and b) apparently covered around 95 miles (according to my Apple Watch),as there were a couple of times we had to make detours for supplies, an unexpected night in a hostel etc, and c) haven't been hiking since August 2019...

Really enjoyable route though. A lot of camaraderie when meeting fellow walkers and hikers and some of the scenery looked like something from the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. And the eco cafe was probably the surreal thing I'll ever experience. Thanks for the suggestion. And we're already looking at our next trip - maybe a trek and wild camp around Glencoe.

I'm also quite keen on Cape Wrath (or at least some of it) over Easter, as long as we can keep up the hiking momentum over the next few months).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Took us eight days - not too bad as we a) enjoyed the walk so took our time and b) apparently covered around 95 miles (according to my Apple Watch),as there were a couple of times we had to make detours for supplies, an unexpected night in a hostel etc, and c) haven't been hiking since August 2019...

Really enjoyable route though. A lot of camaraderie when meeting fellow walkers and hikers and some of the scenery looked like something from the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. And the eco cafe was probably the surreal thing I'll ever experience. Thanks for the suggestion. And we're already looking at our next trip - maybe a trek and wild camp around Glencoe.

I'm also quite keen on Cape Wrath (or at least some of it) over Easter, as long as we can keep up the hiking momentum over the next few months).

The Cape Wrath trail is still in its infancy but Fort William to Cape Wrath is well over 200 miles.
Most of it is inhospitable with poor resources.
If you look at walkhighland.co.uk it breaks the walk down into sections.
Ullapool to Cape Wrath would be spectacular but public transport is limited to say the least!
Plus as Cape Wrath is still an active MOD range and can be closed.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I cracked a real last minute cuff job last week with my lass and we ended up in South Dartmoor for the weekend. Only a short yomp up to Red pool from Bittaford (6 miles) but we went over the top of the hills, not the easy disused train track.
We only decided to do it on the Thursday so it was a rush getting the various bits an pieces together. Anyway we were carrying about 35lbs each (including 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of Disaronno).

It was brilliant, brought back a lot of memories of my times on Dartmoor and the weather gods were very kind, mild cloud and not to hot during the yomp, and we got a stunning sunset and clear starry night in the evening, even saw a bit of the milky way! So quiet, and peacefull and just perfect.

I was really pleased to find that I am still fine with a bit of weight, I'll add a bit more weight next time, I have just purchased an Osprey Atmos 65 bergan which is the most comfortable thing I have ever worn. And I was also really chuffed that my partner was able to crack out the miles at a good pace with about 30lbs.

Cooking by the lake was brilliant, we have great 4 season bags that also zip together so in average conditions they make a great double bag.....

We are looking at Wales next weekend, with a view to cracking the Fan at some stage. followed by the 30 mile route split over 2 days. It has changed since I did it so I want to do my original route.

Top times ahead.

0837 on Saturday morning, we stood at the start of the 30 Miler near Okehampton. I had 44lbs in my bergan, she had 35lbs. We were planning on completing the route over 2 days with a wild camp halfway through.

We set off at a fair pace and got to the 1st checkpoint (6 miles) only about 50mins over what the correct time should be. But then again the last time I did this was 28 years ago and I was a tad fitter.
Yet again we had amazing weather for Dartmoor, light cloud, good breeze.

By the time we got to 16miles, we were both being reminded that we are 46 years old and that we should stop being idiots. Also the water that we carried was running out so we decided to stop at the 18 mile point off the proper route down by a quiet stream and camp the night. We had a stunning location and sorted ourselves out with scran and wine. The proper boil in the bag food from the shops is about £5 a bag so earlier in the week I bought a sous vida vacuum pack set and made my own chilli and bacon and beans which tastes way better and is not full of preservatives.

Next day we set off, but decided to take it more leisurely and not bothering with the rest of the route. So we hiked instead of yomping and it was a hell of a lot more enjoyable. We found some stunning parts of Dartmoor that I have never seen before.
We finished up at the Plume n Doom at about 1600hrs on Sunday and then got a taxi back to Okehampton to pick up my truck and drive home after cracking out 27.67 miles. Brilliant weekend.
CA175F3C-F269-4F24-8C0C-969FA3550EAE.jpeg

AE6ACEB7-8EC4-4D15-9FC2-EDCEFCEDB354.jpeg

Last edited:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Went out one night in the Kruger park with daughter (Zoologist).
Plan, dart Hyena's and take blood/hair samples e.t.c.
Vet darts beast and daughter gets to work.
A group of visiting american students plus others are standing in a semi circle watching events.
Vet injects antidote and gets it wrong. Hyena comes round too soon and staggers a few yards into the bush where it was promptly dispatched by a Lion nobody had seen.
I spent the rest of the night with a spotlight watching what was going on behind us!!!

The other goodie was daughter and colleague taking an injured Hyena to rehabilitation centre.
Vet knocks it out and gives daughter a loaded syringe, just in case.
Hyena lobbed into back of pick up and off they go with me and missus in cab as well.
Daughter looks up into mirror after some time on the road to see a groggy Hyena standing up admiring the view. The two girls and misssus jump out to deal with the beast.
I stayed put. Logic was if it kills them somebody needs to survive to tell the tale and that would be me.
My cowardice did not go unnoticed!!!

Clip from the rehab centre, got a guided tour from Brian and got to see Stoffle.

Excellent.

I have always wondered how Brian gets Stoffle back. Is it tranqualised? Is it friendly (to Brian at least.) I did notice on that clip that he has a huge scratch on his face.

0837 on Saturday morning, we stood at the start of the 30 Miler near Okehampton. I had 44lbs in my bergan, she had 35lbs. We were planning on completing the route over 2 days with a wild camp halfway through.

We set off at a fair pace and got to the 1st checkpoint (6 miles) only about 50mins over what the correct time should be. But then again the last time I did this was 28 years ago and I was a tad fitter.
Yet again we had amazing weather for Dartmoor, light cloud, good breeze.

By the time we got to 16miles, we were both being reminded that we are 46 years old and that we should stop being idiots. Also the water that we carried was running out so we decided to stop at the 18 mile point off the proper route down by a quiet stream and camp the night. We had a stunning location and sorted ourselves out with scran and wine. The proper boil in the bag food from the shops is about £5 a bag so earlier in the week I bought a sous vida vacuum pack set and made my own chilli and bacon and beans which tastes way better and is not full of preservatives.

Next day we set off, but decided to take it more leisurely and not bothering with the rest of the route. So we hiked instead of yomping and it was a hell of a lot more enjoyable. We found some stunning parts of Dartmoor that I have never seen before.
We finished up at the Plume n Doom at about 1600hrs on Sunday and then got a taxi back to Okehampton to pick up my truck and drive home after cracking out 27.67 miles. Brilliant weekend.
View attachment 507897
View attachment 507898

I did similar. Hadn’t done any kind of hiking for a year and then did the Great Glenn way. Also still believed I Tab at same pace/distance as when I was in the army 15 years ago. Did the walk (plus an extra 15 miles according to my Apple Watch) in 8 days - but one week later my toe nail fell off my big toe and the toe nail on the other foot is still getting blacker each day.

Nice photos btw!

ericferret

War Hero
Excellent.

I have always wondered how Brian gets Stoffle back. Is it tranqualised? Is it friendly (to Brian at least.) I did notice on that clip that he has a huge scratch on his face.

It certainly wasn't friendly towards him when we were there.
We approached it's pen with Brian staying out of sight.
It showed some interest in us but generally just carried on with whatever it was doing.
The Brian stuck his head up.
The change was immediate, it ran at the wall with clear intent.
Brian ducked down and the beast was on a mound in the middle of it's pen looking for him.
Not best mates!!!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Not long got back from six days around Kielder, due to the abuse by people that wouldn't normally go wild camping earlier in the year, camping on the English side of the border is currently forbidden...

Our 'tea stump' for a couple of days, tarp was more to keep the wind out than the weather
IMG_20201005_172833.jpg

More tea... and a tired pup
IMG_20201006_140248.jpg

One of our water sources - needed filtering and steri-tabs, otherwise fine.
IMG_20201006_115010.jpg

Final brew before moving off
IMG_20201007_124519.jpg

Tents & tarp set up with due diligence to ground conditions and overhead hazards... One of the pups is indignantly waiting to be let into the tent!.
IMG_20201005_161138.jpg

Mates just sent me a link to a Faceache link for the Wild Campers of Bowland Forrest, useless to me as I am in Aus but I guess as I was 'chatting to him' about his nice wild camp set up pictures and where was it and he sent the link do I joined.

Seems a friendly group if anyone is interested I can send you a link.

Not for me, I prefer to have a place to myself when I can.

Little bit different over here but I have been getting into 'wild camping' in the 4x4 by following unmarked tracks in the national park forests and hills, it starts getting a bit hot now for camping but I have seen a decent li-po powered fan that looks great for camping.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Mates just sent me a link to a Faceache link for the Wild Campers of Bowland Forrest, useless to me as I am in Aus but I guess as I was 'chatting to him' about his nice wild camp set up pictures and where was it and he sent the link do I joined.

Seems a friendly group if anyone is interested I can send you a link.

Not for me, I prefer to have a place to myself when I can.

Little bit different over here but I have been getting into 'wild camping' in the 4x4 by following unmarked tracks in the national park forests and hills, it starts getting a bit hot now for camping but I have seen a decent li-po powered fan that looks great for camping.
I too prefer to be on my own (with the dogs, obvs.) or with only one or two others, apart from losing out on the 'quiet moments of solitude', trying to find somewhere with enough space for a larger group can be a challenge and inevitably there's always someone not happy with their spot.

I've done a fair bit of 'vehicle borne expedition' type stuff across Africa, Europe, Far East etc. You can afford to be more generous with choice of kit than when on the hoof and of course can travel further each day.
We were both carrying about 22kg at the start of the recent trip, the dogs were carrying 4.3kg each. It sounds a lot but we had to cover a lot of eventualities as there was no pre-defined route or overnight locations.

1602316399454.jpeg

I too prefer to be on my own (with the dogs, obvs.) or with only one or two others, apart from losing out on the 'quiet moments of solitude', trying to find somewhere with enough space for a larger group can be a challenge and inevitably there's always someone not happy with their spot.

I've done a fair bit of 'vehicle borne expedition' type stuff across Africa, Europe, Far East etc. You can afford to be more generous with choice of kit than when on the hoof and of course can travel further each day.
We were both carrying about 22kg at the start of the recent trip, the dogs were carrying 4.3kg each. It sounds a lot but we had to cover a lot of eventualities as there was no pre-defined route or overnight locations.

View attachment 511030
Do the dogs cope ok with that weight?
How far would they be expected to carry it?

Hardest thing with wild camping in Aus especially in summer is the water, I would like to live in Tasmania which has lots of rivers and mountains and wild and lonely places, but not much in my line of work, I suppose though the advances in portable filtering devices would make more water accessible. With the Ute I can carry a large fresh water supply.

I still use a very lightweight tent and a tarp and the river is only quiet in Winter and midweek, or else its the same as the Lake District!!

IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 5

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice setup! I have a couple of carp chairs which are very comfy, they look similar to yours. I've a couple of awnings for the roofrack and attach an Oztent RV4 (or two) to them to give a large covered area, I can add side curtains to either or both if needed. I've also removed the middle seat in the back and fitted an Engel Fridge in it's place, which will hold 58 bottles of San Miguel - apparently...

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Do the dogs cope ok with that weight?
How far would they be expected to carry it?
They're big dogs and have used trail packs before - to be honest, other than having no spacial awareness of the packs, they don't behave any differently, occasionally they'll climb rather than jump over an obstacle. The packs we use are Hurtta ones - I would advise against some of the Chinese tat on Amazon & fleabay as it looks badly designed with material at places where it would rub.
The recommendation for dogs is no more than 20% of bodyweight in the packs, our two are 41kg & 32kg so they were well within that and of course, as they were carrying their own food etc. the weight was dropping every day. Although they've used the packs before, I was getting them acclimatised on their weekend walks for six weeks before, gradually building up the weight.
We were covering between 4 - 15km a day over varying terrain, when we stopped, they got the packs dismounted from the harnesses. They did tire over the six days but they're not young dogs, that said, I took them out this morning for their usual Saturday charge around the woods and there was no lack of enthusiasm!
I know of some people that used dog packs to carry their things (not the dogs!) on days out, which I feel is a little unfair, a daysack with drinks, clothing etc. - even for a couple of people is no hardship for an adult and the dogs want to have fun too!

They're big dogs and have used trail packs before - to be honest, other than having no spacial awareness of the packs, they don't behave any differently, occasionally they'll climb rather than jump over an obstacle. The packs we use are Hurtta ones - I would advise against some of the Chinese tat on Amazon & fleabay as it looks badly designed with material at places where it would rub.
The recommendation for dogs is no more than 20% of bodyweight in the packs, our two are 41kg & 32kg so they were well within that and of course, as they were carrying their own food etc. the weight was dropping every day. Although they've used the packs before, I was getting them acclimatised on their weekend walks for six weeks before, gradually building up the weight.
We were covering between 4 - 15km a day over varying terrain, when we stopped, they got the packs dismounted from the harnesses. They did tire over the six days but they're not young dogs, that said, I took them out this morning for their usual Saturday charge around the woods and there was no lack of enthusiasm!
I know of some people that used dog packs to carry their things (not the dogs!) on days out, which I feel is a little unfair, a daysack with drinks, clothing etc. - even for a couple of people is no hardship for an adult and the dogs want to have fun too!
Excellent, good info there!

wheel

LE
i carry more stuff for my hound than for myself. He is a short haired lurcher- whippet collie cross 19.5kgs . He will run walk forever but has no body fat so need coat for him if it gets cold/wet, loads of water if its hot. He eats lots of food when we are on the hills to replace energy. On the plus side lots of fresh meat -rabbits and he has also takes Pheasants so have to be wary of game keepers .

Edit : I,ve just decided to have a wander up Kinder Scout its very wet and windy so should be peaceful up there.

Last edited:

Latest Threads