Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone in to Wild Camping

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Currently sat on a pretty amazing beach in Durness.

I’ll chuck up a full NC500 thread once I’m home (like I did for the WHW a few years back) but it’s going well so far.

Using the roof tent and the OEX jackal III. Alternating between the two.

Midges are brutal. Only bother we’ve had from locals so far has been some **** on a bike sarcastically shouting “good morning, have a nice holiday” and waking us up at 4.30am.

View attachment 497477View attachment 497478View attachment 497479View attachment 497480View attachment 497481View attachment 497482

I understand @Ravers will be heading down the west coast the morn.

Just for fun.

Screenshot_20200817-191300_Samsung Internet.jpg

wheel

LE
Not wild camping but very relevant with regards to people with no experience of camping and cheap disposable gear.
Borrowdale's Stonethwaite Campsite shuts after 'Covid campers' litter

The owners of a scenic Lake District campsite are shutting it due to people flouting rules and leaving litter.

Kayley Kennedy at the Stonethwaite Campsite in Borrowdale said it had been inundated with "Covid campers" who treated it like a "mini festival".

She said they were so fed up they were closing for "three or four weeks" from Thursday.

Elsewhere, two men were pictured sleeping on a car amid a weekend of complaints.

Ms Kennedy, who runs the site with her partner Nick Gill, said Stonethwaite had room for about 60 tents but because it was part of a farm and not manned full-time, many more had been crowding in, ignoring signs saying the site was full.

Some campers had arrived in groups that were too large, set up their tents too close to each other, ignored the 23:00 sound cut off and left mounds of rubbish including tents, gazebos, airbeds and chairs, she said.

"Because the equipment is quite cheap to buy they seem to treat it as disposable," Ms Kennedy said.

"It has been disappointing. We have regulars, some of whom have been coming for more than 50 years, who treat the place with great respect.

"But this year we have had what one person called 'Covid campers' who are not just respecting the site or other campers.

"We did expect it to be busy but it's just been like a bank holiday every weekend and, because there are no festivals this summer, somebody said it seemed like these people are having their own mini-festivals here."

oldbaldy

LE
The idea has certainly crossed my mind a few times but there are a lot of reasons why I haven’t bothered.

1) Massively busy with a farm, hotel, 2 pubs and an actual full time job.

2) The bureaucratic hoops to jump through in changing farmland or commercial woodland into a campsite are fairly big and numerous.

3) As above, nearly all our land is either farmed or used for commercial forestry. We also have shooting and fishing here. Any other venture would have to be carefully managed around what we’re currently doing on this land.

4) All the best camping spots would require a fair amount of groundworks. I know people want the wilderness, but having to machete your way through 100m of chest high stinging nettles to get to your pitch is taking the piss a little. At the very least I’d need to lay some paths and build a bridge across a river.

5) I’d have to put in some proper parking, the ground is sodden for 3/4 of the year and I don’t really fancy towing people out every day. I’d also have to fence it off to stop cows and goats wrecking cars.

6) We have the lakes, Pennines and Yorkshire Dales on our doorstep. There are better places to wild camp nearby that are free. I don’t think the uptake would be that great.

7) Commercially it’s not really viable. I doubt people would pay more than 20 odd quid a night to pitch a small tent in the middle of nowhere. The general management of a camping business, website, insurance, booking system etc. groundworks and loss of income from not using that space for farming, would outweigh any benefits.

8) Finally and quite selfishly, I really like having this spot to myself. My kids play here. I don’t mind the odd mate or arrser coming up to stay every now and then, but having strangers here all the time isn’t something I want to do. We’ve already opened the big family home to the public as a hotel, it’s nice to keep our little bit of paradise to ourselves.
View attachment 496316View attachment 496317View attachment 496318View attachment 496319View attachment 496320View attachment 496321View attachment 496322View attachment 496323

Ravers, if you were interested I could work around a few of those problems. The charity I work for has an exemption certificate meaning that we can dedicate campsites (for members only) with landowner agreement, without need for planning permission or local authority Licencing. I’m working on a trial of expanding this at the moment, which if it comes off we can do the booking and payment online, but also have full traceability and I’d of anyone who stays (as they need to be members first anyway). Not even any need for new parking as they are all cyclists (the cnuts). Might come to nothing but if you’re interested I could try and work you into the trials.

They are out with a vengence this year:
I didn’t think they were particularly bad this year. I think it depends on the kind of spring we get.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The weather has been fine today.

Currently sat on a beach just up from Inverasdale.

Sprogs loved the WW2 Arctic convoy base.

Cheers for the tip.

View attachment 497678View attachment 497679View attachment 497680View attachment 497681View attachment 497682View attachment 497683View attachment 497684View attachment 497685View attachment 497686

Speaking of Arctic convoys and naval bases. Did you spot the ships' names on the hillside above Loch Eriboll?

HMS Hood and Amethyst being probably the most famous.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I didn’t think they were particularly bad this year. I think it depends on the kind of spring we get.

It’s been a bit of a mixed bag for us midge wise so far.

Only really had one night at Dunnet Head where they’ve been really bad. We were about half a mile from a small freshwater Loch which I’m sure didn’t help matters.

None at Durness at all.

Some where I am now, but only enough to be mildly annoying as opposed to unbearable. There is a slight breeze so I’m sure that’s keeping them at bay.

3 years back we cut short a camping trip at Loch Lomond because we were being eaten alive. The sky was black with the *******.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Speaking of Arctic convoys and naval bases. Did you spot the ships' names on the hillside above Loch Eriboll?

HMS Hood and Amethyst being probably the most famous.

Didn’t spot them unfortunately.

It’s been a bit of a mixed bag for us midge wise so far.

Only really had one night at Dunnet Head where they’ve been really bad. We were about half a mile from a small freshwater Loch which I’m sure didn’t help matters.

None at Durness at all.

Some where I am now, but only enough to be mildly annoying as opposed to unbearable. There is a slight breeze so I’m sure that’s keeping them at bay.

3 years back we cut short a camping trip at Loch Lomond because we were being eaten alive. The sky was black with the *******.
Yep, fresh water and trees is the sweet spot, but then you probably knew that.

Has any one used the smidge midge forecast?
Apparently above the highland divide its "mirther most fowl" but below its not bad

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Has any one used the smidge midge forecast?
Apparently above the highland divide its "mirther most fowl" but below its not bad

Usually fairly accurate for around here

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Since Haggisland was opened up I went for a visit: (I had to shrink the piccies a bit to upload them but they should still show the large version if you click/tap on them).

hilltop1.jpg

hilltop2.jpg

hilltop3.jpg

hilltop4.jpg

I would have taken a picture of the view from my tent but I forgot (due to being absolutely ******* knackered) so here's one from later on:
tent.jpg

Leo93

Swinger

Latest Threads