Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone in to Wild Camping

A honourable mention of the southern upland way which is a cheeky sod with lolling plains hills and the land that the reavers roamed

To really appreciate the great Scottish outdoors a dram helps daily

Ps
Although not strictly wild the forestry commission designated campsites have facilities for those car camping
Small online fee bears using a lay-by plus a purpose built barbecue

Last edited:
Run a " military experience " camp site ?

Day 1- welcome from camp staff, issue and erect your 12' x 12' tent.

Day 2 - 14 - get tent back in bag, goodbye from camp staff.

Somehow I doubt many festival goers will get the message though.
We could always arrange for special education teams to show them the errors of their ways.

1597207063816.png

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was going to suggest a re-education camp in Cumbernauld, but I think your solution is more humane.
Do you remember the old ad, "What's it called?"

There was quite a list, as I recall, very little of which was found in the OED.

Picked this up to go bikepacking. Another of the OEX range, I thought a bargain at £50 allegedly reduced from £100:

298244EF-BA48-4F4A-B96B-47226236FE56.jpeg

I’ve just had the flattened area done. My last attempts at garden camping ended up with me in a foetal ball at the bottom of the tent as the lawn on a steep hill.

I’ve used artificial grass as this area partly under a tree & I’ve not managed to get a decent greensward to grow in the seven years I’ve owned the house. I’m rewilding the rest now there’s no MasterPlume to kick footballs with or play cricket. Also put in pond, various insect habitats, & hedgehog holes in fences.

Kipped out last night. Great looking at stars, & even the thunderstorm was fun under canvas :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Currently sat on a pretty amazing beach in Durness.

I’ll chuck up a full NC500 thread once I’m home (like I did for the WHW a few years back) but it’s going well so far.

Using the roof tent and the OEX jackal III. Alternating between the two.

Midges are brutal. Only bother we’ve had from locals so far has been some **** on a bike sarcastically shouting “good morning, have a nice holiday” and waking us up at 4.30am.

8BA4C712-1068-4388-96BB-2DF3917E2920.jpeg
DB3703A1-59D5-4D05-A669-61CD95EFA2FF.jpeg
56F619DE-0A69-4E9A-A565-0534F5D243FF.jpeg
946BAE0B-22DA-40DB-8A3A-F5B00ABCF772.jpeg
4279A83F-4574-4CB0-A76E-7E9ABE70DD2C.jpeg
E830E1B3-3FA0-4F12-8D10-745564F1D73F.jpeg

Currently sat on a pretty amazing beach in Durness.

I’ll chuck up a full NC500 thread once I’m home (like I did for the WHW a few years back) but it’s going well so far.

Using the roof tent and the OEX jackal III. Alternating between the two.

Midges are brutal. Only bother we’ve had from locals so far has been some **** on a bike sarcastically shouting “good morning, have a nice holiday” and waking us up at 4.30am.

View attachment 497477View attachment 497478View attachment 497479View attachment 497480View attachment 497481View attachment 497482

Nice! We're setting off on our trip next week for the Great Glen Way (after @Fang_Farrier 's suggestion). Maps and walking guidebook have been delivered, currently wearing my new Merrells around the house to break them in. Now just waiting for my backpacking tent that I left with a friend in Belgium to arrive in the post. Will probably set-off next Saturday for the full week.

Oh hopefully the idiot on the bike gets tired!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nice! We're setting off on our trip next week for the Great Glen Way (after @Fang_Farrier 's suggestion). Maps and walking guidebook have been delivered, currently wearing my new Merrells around the house to break them in. Now just waiting for my backpacking tent that I left with a friend in Belgium to arrive in the post. Will probably set-off next Saturday for the full week.

Oh hopefully the idiot on the bike gets tired!

There has been a huge increase in cyclists up here recently for some reason.

lert

LE
Retailers now do “festival packs” that are basically designed to be disposable. For as low as 20 quid I’ve seen a pack that contains a tent, 2 doss bags and 2 roll mats.

At that price it’s hardly worth lugging the stuff home.
I think there's an argument though that access to really cheap kit is all that enables some people to get into the outdoors, and not everyone that uses it abuses the countryside once they've done so.

I was in the Lakes this week. At a rough guess I was toting a grand or so's worth of kit around with me. Granted that's a grand I've spent over a lot of years and I'm happy to do so but there are plenty that see relatively expensive kit as a barrier to entry.

A part of the problem, I think, with abandoned kit and litter is cultural and a part is educational. I arrived at Styhead Tarn at 6pm on Thursday and there were already 5 tents there. I pitched about 100m above and had a perfect night. They were all still there when at left at 8.30 the next morning. In my book that's not arriving late or leaving early. But it may be that people just don't know any better and don't know what's expected.

For the record, I'm really not saying that ditching bags of gash or surface laying turds is ok and everyone should know better. But it's also up to those of us that enjoy wild spaces to educate those that may learn to love them in time.

The view from my pit on Friday morning....
20200816_192259.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think there's an argument though that access to really cheap kit is all that enables some people to get into the outdoors, and not everyone that uses it abuses the countryside once they've done so.

Agreed but this bargain basement stuff is so shite in quality it breaks the first time it’s used.

So come morning, the happy camper is faced with lugging a pissed wet broken tent down a mountain and then having to find a bin to ditch it.

Or they could just leave it in situ. Doesn’t matter, some other **** will clear up my shit after me.

Education definitely plays a part, but I’m also of the opinion that a very big majority of humans are just cnuts who don’t give a ****.

Cheap gear just enables them to be cnuts without spending as much money.

You’re certainly less likely to leave a 100 quid tent up a mountain than one that cost you a tenner.

ericferret

War Hero
For our honeymoon we did an epic tour of Namibia, Botswana, SA and Malawi.

The missus was working for a very high end travel firm and managed to pull in freebies and favours from every corner.

I think we paid around 12 grand for a holiday that would’ve normally cost 30. Flying everywhere in private Cessnas and helicopters, luxury safari camps, the works.

Anyway one morning we go on a foot safari.

The guide is packing a hefty 375 rifle which I’m assured is for emergencies only.

About an hour in, we’re walking through 6ft high reeds and plants and can only see about 10ft in each direction. I start to shit myself big time, we’d literally seen lions on the road while driving over here.

Every rustle or noise in the reeds could be a big cat or some other monster that wants to eat us. There is no ******* way matey boy is getting his bang stick off his shoulder and made ready, in the time it takes for a big cat to pounce.

Eventually we get to a clearing and there is a mother white rhino with a calf not 20ft from where we are standing.

It’s only at this point that the guide gets a little edgy and quietly says “we need to get out of here, very quickly and very quietly.”

Missus was completely oblivious to the danger and thought it was mega.

View attachment 496112

Went out one night in the Kruger park with daughter (Zoologist).
Plan, dart Hyena's and take blood/hair samples e.t.c.
Vet darts beast and daughter gets to work.
A group of visiting american students plus others are standing in a semi circle watching events.
Vet injects antidote and gets it wrong. Hyena comes round too soon and staggers a few yards into the bush where it was promptly dispatched by a Lion nobody had seen.
I spent the rest of the night with a spotlight watching what was going on behind us!!!

The other goodie was daughter and colleague taking an injured Hyena to rehabilitation centre.
Vet knocks it out and gives daughter a loaded syringe, just in case.
Hyena lobbed into back of pick up and off they go with me and missus in cab as well.
Daughter looks up into mirror after some time on the road to see a groggy Hyena standing up admiring the view. The two girls and misssus jump out to deal with the beast.
I stayed put. Logic was if it kills them somebody needs to survive to tell the tale and that would be me.
My cowardice did not go unnoticed!!!

Clip from the rehab centre, got a guided tour from Brian and got to see Stoffle.

Went out one night in the Kruger park with daughter (Zoologist).
Plan, dart Hyena's and take blood/hair samples e.t.c.
Vet darts beast and daughter gets to work.
A group of visiting american students plus others are standing in a semi circle watching events.
Vet injects antidote and gets it wrong. Hyena comes round too soon and staggers a few yards into the bush where it was promptly dispatched by a Lion nobody had seen.
I spent the rest of the night with a spotlight watching what was going on behind us!!!

The other goodie was daughter and colleague taking an injured Hyena to rehabilitation centre.
Vet knocks it out and gives daughter a loaded syringe, just in case.
Hyena lobbed into back of pick up and off they go with me and missus in cab as well.
Daughter looks up into mirror after some time on the road to see a groggy Hyena standing up admiring the view. The two girls and misssus jump out to deal with the beast.
I stayed put. Logic was if it kills them somebody needs to survive to tell the tale and that would be me.
My cowardice did not go unnoticed!!!

Clip from the rehab centre, got a guided tour from Brian and got to see Stoffle.

Hyenas.... Feck.

Years ago went with a client on safari in the Okavango. They went to the proper camp, I stayed in the staff camp.

Every morning at half 5, genny would get switched on, a pot of tea would get delivered to the hut and I'd get ready to jump in the wagon with the driver to go pick up the client for their morning game drive. Rinse repeat for a few days.

Over a beer with one of the camp staff, the incident when "the generator didn't get turned on" came up. Several months back the bloke who was supposed to turn on the genny every morning just disappeared.
All they found was half a trainer.

Best guess was that he had been ambushed by hyenas.

I wouldn't blame you for staying in the cab. I got to hand feed one in Ethiopia. Longest minute of my life...

Nick Dipples

War Hero
Camped out up above the lake overnight. Our tent is the dot just above the lake in the foreground. We took up winter sleeping gear but it was not all that cold overnight even at 2900m.

I hear good things about Luxe Outdoor tents who basically make copies of high end tents for 1/3 of the price. Probably not quite as good but they make a pretty good copy of my tent for not many £

DSC_0325_1.JPG

DSC_0328_1.JPG

Latest Threads