Anyone in to Wild Camping

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Found these ones from camping in mana pools.

Been a while and my mate was really bad at ID ing animals. One site he was on about there was a 20 foot long python “just over there”.

Had a quick scope and no it was some elephant shite and a lizard.

Anyway few days later, bought our rations, cane alcohol , castle beer ets. put up the tent and drink a few . Mana pools is One of the only parks you can walk without a guide, or it was in 92. No more than 100 m from the river inland.

So we go for a walk, he’s here after scoping and saying there are two rhino over there.

View attachment 496098

I look and say, twat it’s a couple of rocks.

Cane and beer courage we walk closer and closer.

View attachment 496096

Walking backwards at fast as we could.

Going to a local hotel for a resup of food. Paid two locals about 50 p each to carry the canoe as we could not be bothered to break it down and pack it as we were Going back on the river After a Few beers.

Walking along, the two guys say.

”Hay boss, there are lion and elephant around.“

Can you walk in front so we have a chance to run.?

Err OK.

View attachment 496100
For our honeymoon we did an epic tour of Namibia, Botswana, SA and Malawi.

The missus was working for a very high end travel firm and managed to pull in freebies and favours from every corner.

I think we paid around 12 grand for a holiday that would’ve normally cost 30. Flying everywhere in private Cessnas and helicopters, luxury safari camps, the works.

Anyway one morning we go on a foot safari.

The guide is packing a hefty 375 rifle which I’m assured is for emergencies only.

About an hour in, we’re walking through 6ft high reeds and plants and can only see about 10ft in each direction. I start to shit myself big time, we’d literally seen lions on the road while driving over here.

Every rustle or noise in the reeds could be a big cat or some other monster that wants to eat us. There is no ******* way matey boy is getting his bang stick off his shoulder and made ready, in the time it takes for a big cat to pounce.

Eventually we get to a clearing and there is a mother white rhino with a calf not 20ft from where we are standing.

It’s only at this point that the guide gets a little edgy and quietly says “we need to get out of here, very quickly and very quietly.”

Missus was completely oblivious to the danger and thought it was mega.

B2C1B904-823F-4144-A53C-DB3BFE9A744D.jpeg

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
‘My Mrs got really pissed , upset with me as I had “invested” in a new video camera just for the trip.

Sony Digital 8. Handycam, zoom was 25 optical and 700 digital. Also had night IR capability so also bought secondary IR lamp to fit on top. I also had /have a 2 small second gen NVG scope , good as well. It is is also IR capable.

Beer, gin infused sleep, roused by growling or howling , first thing I would do was unzip the tent flap and start videoing whatever was walking around.

She was well pissed with me.
Is that because you were using her as the bait? ;)

A mate of mine makes 'offroad trailers' from old Sankey trailers
IIRC this one was £9k inc the Howling Moon roof tent & awning
View attachment 495845

Some other examples of his sideline...
I used to do “Rover Group” in 22 Sigs, from 83 until 85. Great job on Exercises in BAOR as we were free runners. We had a Landrover FFR , Either a young Officer or SSGT as top cover, a driver lineman ED, to drive and fix lines. In the back two R.Sigs technicians. 1 for the terminal equipment the other for radio. As we were on a 5 min to move we had no duties. No guard or pan bash.

The Driver got the REME to bolt together our 9x9 Tent frame for the roof which fitted perfectly on the top of the landrover. We “got “ some 12 volt lighting and a kerosene heater, 2 US army camp cots. In the back of the rover we “got” some six foot GS tables. Cut off the legs and they fitted into the back , couple of the old green plastic mattresses and on the drives we just slept.

Could park up in any location , drop the tent roof , stick on the legs, reverse the landy onto the big flap, bit like the Photo shown. Always having to drive to “fix” any reported problems. We got fresh rations at most locations. Bugger was it was always a huge pack of bacon, bread, eggs as well as Compo.

That meant every time we would have a huge Fry up as nowhere to store the bacon or eggs, 1/2 an hour on the top of the Kero Heater toast, bacon and egg banjos all round.

Had a challenge once who could stay in their scratcher the longest. the ED won at over 20 hours until his bladder gave out.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve been carefully monitoring the Facebook pages.

After a fortnight of Facebook prowling, my conclusion is that it all seems to be massively blown out of proportion by some NIMBY locals. Yes there are a few scumbags leaving rubbish and shitting al fresco but if the Facebook pages are to be believed then every spare inch of grass in Scotland currently has a campervan squeezed on it.

By all accounts armies of campers are heading north to shit in people’s gardens, eat their kids and set fire to their houses.

They’re even reusing photos from previous years. Even some pics of other destinations like Wales and the Lakes have appeared as so called evidence.

Some of the stuff on the groups is bordering on racism. Of course it’s only the English visitors who are causing trouble. People are posting photos of cars and googling the number plates to see if they’re English.

Some bloke put some really nice phots of him and his lad wild camping on one of the groups. He got torn to shreds by 2 or 3 loud mouth locals because he’d dared to put his tent within site of some old pile of rocks that apparently constituted an important historical monument. The bloke and his kid had even done a litter pick and removed some bags of trash, but the locals still destroyed him on Facebook.

Someone else being called a **** and told to go home because they dared to drive their Landy a few metres off road on what appeared to be a track.

Bunch of cnuts if you ask me. Happy to take the money tourism brings in, but moan about it every chance they get, thinking they are somehow unique as a place that gets busy in the summer.

Frankly nothing I’ve seen as evidence of the wanton destruction of the Scottish Highlands, is any worse than a particularly busy day in the Lake District. A few scumbags leaving a bit of litter and shitting on the beach is basically the gist of it. A bit of increased traffic on the roads.

Unfortunately that’s something that every rural tourist destination has to put up with.

People just taking the few examples of bad behaviour on the route and blowing it massively out of proportion, with a healthy dose of “I hate the fuckin English” thrown in for good measure.

Conversely the page where visitors talk about their own recent NC500 experiences, is full of stunning phots and talk about what a great time they’re having. I’m yet to see a single post by a visitor saying “it’s terrible, you can’t move because it’s so busy and everywhere has piles of shit by the roads.”

We leave on Thursday. I’ll report back as we go.

I believe our very own @verticalgyro is already up there in some massive palace on wheels. Might try and catch up with him en route and let his tyres down.

The thing about the NC500 is that it is a private company profiteering off a road route that has always been there.
It was set up at a time when Highland Council were actually drawing down the facilities and infrastructure in teh area due to austerity.

Not everybody uo here lives off tourism, however we are al impacted by it, mainly due to the increased traffic. This is especially acute in the more remote rural areas.

My own experience is mixed, I have seen the campervans parked up in laybys and car parks, have started to avoid certain beaches and other areas as to be honest, it's not safe to take Tiny Miss F or the dog due to the amount of human waste that is being left, also the ruminants of campfires and broken glass.

I think the outpouring in social media are not just the product of this year but the accumulation of several years grief caused by this route, which was then abated by lockdown when everybody got used to how it used to be up here.

Alamo

LE
The Driver got the REME to bolt together our 9x9 Tent frame for the roof which fitted perfectly on the top of the landrover. We “got “ some 12 volt lighting and a kerosene heater, 2 US army camp cots. In the back of the rover we “got” some six foot GS tables. Cut off the legs and they fitted into the back , couple of the old green plastic mattresses and on the drives we just slept.
You had a LR with a roof that fitted a 9x9 and all that kit? And took how many folding flats in the back?
Riiiight

The thing about the NC500 is that it is a private company profiteering off a road route that has always been there.
It was set up at a time when Highland Council were actually drawing down the facilities and infrastructure in teh area due to austerity.

Not everybody uo here lives off tourism, however we are al impacted by it, mainly due to the increased traffic. This is especially acute in the more remote rural areas.

My own experience is mixed, I have seen the campervans parked up in laybys and car parks, have started to avoid certain beaches and other areas as to be honest, it's not safe to take Tiny Miss F or the dog due to the amount of human waste that is being left, also the ruminants of campfires and broken glass.

I think the outpouring in social media are not just the product of this year but the accumulation of several years grief caused by this route, which was then abated by lockdown when everybody got used to how it used to be up here.
I was in the Highlands at the weekend on a cycle tour - staying in hotels, I should add, because that's the way I roll.
There really are issues with campers stopping at the side of the road, setting up a tent, starting a fire and leaving a pile of gash. The road along the South side of Loch Tummel was an absolute nightmare for this, and I can understand why the locals are getting a bit hot under the collar.

It's not my understanding of wild camping. I don't think anyone really has a problem with proper wild camping, where folks head into the boondocks and camp, leaving no trace behind. Pulling your car off to the side of the road and building a fire that wouldn't look out of place in East Belfast on the 12th isn't that.

I've seen campsites where they left everything behind, tents, air mattress, duvets, BBQ, clothing, lights, the receipt says they just bought the lot from Argos used it for two nights pissed off and left it there.

I've read an article this morning, basically saying that the authorities are going to clamp down on wild camping.
Apparently there was loads going on during the lockdown and the messy buggers have left a right mess. I'd assume it was civvies, as I reckon most ex-mil would take their crap away.
It was often kids - not really 'wild camping' - but camping out with their mates with beers/drugs/those gas canister things.

Then they'd just fvck off and not even take their tents with them.

It was often kids - not really 'wild camping' - but camping out with their mates with beers/drugs/those gas canister things.

Then they'd just fvck off and not even take their tents with them.
The ones I saw along Loch Tummel weren't kids - they were mostly standard Benidorm and Salou fodder, often with their own kids.

Seems to be many definitions of "wild camping" ....

Mine is - Walking / surviving on what I'm carrying on my back ......stopping when either I want to investigate an area more or it's dusk ...., carrying food, water etc and avoiding other humans or human habitation ........ anything else is camping .

For some camper van but more likely motorhome owners "wild camping" is a gateway or anything not a designated site with electric hook up. ....

Ravers should look at finding somewhere on his vast estate to set up a small exclusive camp site where pitches are not within line of site of each other , facilities are limited to composting toilet and water tap and the overriding ethos is silence ....... I reckon he could charge a premium and it would still have a wait list as this is what most claiming to wild camp desire.....

By all accounts armies of campers are heading north to shit in people’s gardens, eat their kids and set fire to their houses.
Just say uou're a doctor, teacher, scientist or engineer & Wee Nippy will be welcoming you in :)

I've seen campsites where they left everything behind, tents, air mattress, duvets, BBQ, clothing, lights, the receipt says they just bought the lot from Argos used it for two nights pissed off and left it there.
Had the same kind of thing in the Maldives. First days were very nice, quiet , food of an acceptable standard , drinks too.

Then the family from London , Mum , Dad three snotty teenagers arrived.

After lunch they just walked up to someone’s sun loungers , threw their stuff off and took over.

Eating all you could hear was the kids complaining. “This isn’t curry, this fish stinks, the ice steam is to melted , this sausage isn’t like Tescos. Etc.”

Best thing was they had a load of plastic inflatables , huge donuts , half Water mellons, even an inflatable palm tree.

After 3 days and left all their trash, clothes, swimming costumes and all the inflatables On the floor outside their patio.

Due to all of the restrictions, we're probably going to do one of the Scottish hiking routes this year (we had planned more trekking in Belgium; then planned camp-site camping in France; now going to stick with UK). Most likely West Highland Way.

We'll be using a 3 man Forclaz Ultralite for two people - 2.3kg and it's one of the standard trekking tents from Decathlon. Here's a picture of it in 2018, stealth camping along the GR16 in Belgium.

Not a bad tent - think only paid around 200 for it, rolls up small and used it quite a bit with no problems. The back also has a star gazing patch (not pictured as open) that has been removed on the newer version I think, but quite nice when wild camping in the middle of nowhere.

1597168062633.png

Although a bit big for true stealth camping!

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 18.53.54.png

If things are back to normal next Easter, we are thinking of doing the GR16 again, but in a single trip - and thinking of getting a hammock tent as I hear they are a bit better for stealth camping.

Last edited:

I used to live in Fort Augustus and saw how just minimal the impact (as in benefit to the community) of organised tourists on the NC500 route was. Coaches would turn up, offload busloads of trippers for an hour or so to go and look for Nessie, all of whom had a packed/issued lunch from the company. The shop in Fort Augustus might sell a few cans of coke or some postcards, that's about it. The pubs never really benefitted due to the lack of time that the tourists were spending there and the fact that their trips were "all inclusive". The car park would then be left with the dropped rubbish rolling around the tarmac.

Due to all of the restrictions, we're probably going to do one of the Scottish hiking routes this year (we had planned more trekking in Belgium; then planned camp-site camping in France; now going to stick with UK). Most likely West Highland Way.

We'll be using a 3 man Forclaz Ultralite for two people - 2.3kg and it's one of the standard trekking tents from Decathlon. Here's a picture of it in 2018, stealth camping along the GR16 in Belgium.

Not a bad tent - think only paid around 200 for it, rolls up small and used it quite a bit with no problems. The back also has a star gazing patch (not pictured) that has been removed on the newer version I think, but quite nice when camping alone in the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 496275

Although a bit big for true stealth camping!

View attachment 496277

If things are back to normal next Easter, we are thinking of doing the GR16 again, but in a single trip - and thinking of getting a hammock tent as I hear they are a bit better for stealth camping.
I think your tent may be haunted.

Hard cheese - never take a soft cheese - yes your cheddar may go a bit rubbery - but thats infinitely better than discovering youre Roquefort has leaked cow juice all over your bergan and all within. As Al discovered.
Bananas are also bastards for turning to liquid in a heatwave.

Latest Threads