Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone in to Wild Camping

A mate of mine makes 'offroad trailers' from old Sankey trailers
IIRC this one was £9k inc the Howling Moon roof tent & awning
View attachment 495831
looks like it's going to take off into the sea!
Somehow the Aussie make trailer camping almost look fun.
I suppose the lethal wildlife/sunny weather trade off helps

Personally not a fan of roof tents, from personal experience :-
C of G raised massively
PITA having to pack away if / when you want to use the vehicle
Night time bladder relief....
Absolutely shite in bad weather - high winds / sandstorms / coastal squalls etc.
That said, good to get out & about, even moreso with Family in tow, hopefully willingly... :thumleft:

ETA - Mora knives are excellent value, i've got a couple that are many years old and still good tools, easily sharpen as well.
Perfect for a hebridean “breeze”

I still do, I go on overnight fishing trips on the Tamar near my home (in good weather). Dartmoor is close by and wild camping is allowed there.View attachment 492809
I was lucky enough , or in reality crying over a lost love and doing something else to get over her. Got a mate , ex Army to give up his job to do it, I was in Donnington and not working too much . Asked the OC if I had no leave for the year , 1991, And took leave in 92 in April could I have two months off . He said OK. So bought a Klepper canoe, trained for a few months and we canoed down the Zambezi. Great times.
2222B342-C093-44B9-A83F-0EF67D26721B.jpeg

Al fresco shower.

59B272AB-02D1-49C8-968A-3B4BB032DD32.jpeg

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
looks like it's going to take off into the sea!
Somehow the Aussie make trailer camping almost look fun.
I suppose the lethal wildlife/sunny weather trade off helps
That looks like a Oztent Foxwing awning on the trailer, (another) mate of mine had one on his 110, you can attach four or five Oztent RV4's to it and create quite a happy communal drinking and eating area, without the expense of a trailer.

That looks like a Oztent Foxwing awning on the trailer, (another) mate of mine had one on his 110, you can attach four or five Oztent RV4's to it and create quite a happy communal drinking and eating area, without the expense of a trailer.
Those look great - but the b*ggers have suspended ordering...

lert

LE
I made a point somewhere upthread about the hardest part of wild camping being finding somewhere where some other bugger isn't it...

The missus and I set off late Saturday afternoon for a few miles paddle on the river nearby. We were above the navigation so no boats about and a few nice twisty whizzy bits to keep it interesting.

The water levels were pretty low and we scraped the bottom a few times but with the current pushing us down there was no need to get out and push.

5 or so miles down stream there's a island, the first we passed where I knew we could stop for the night. We got there around 7, still a couple of hours of light, time enough to find firewood and put a tarp up before dark. After that it's food, fire and rum.

Except, there's someone on my island! They can't have beat us to it by more than half an hour. But they were there and they were stopping.

There's nothing but an unshootable weir a half mile downstream so there was nothing for it but back the way we came. I checked another couple of islands but nowhere to land. The woods on the river banks are full of pretty expensive fishing pegs so I have no confidence they're not patrolled. The shallow bits we scraped on the way down are impassable on the way back so theirs nothing to do but get out and tow back into deep water. The last time was a very shallow, very whizzy bit in full dark and the missus is getting more than a little twitchy by now.

In the end, we made it back to the car around 2300, and home 20 minutes later. We saved the night with rum and fire in the garden.

Wild camping? Screw that.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Those look great - but the b*ggers have suspended ordering...

Try below - I used to buy spares from them because the importers are an absolute pain to deal with

For those considering the NC 500 have a wee read of where to stay phone ahead and crucially appreciate the anti tourist feeling amongst the locals

The papers and news have highlighted the flooding northwards of those camper vans and tent errectors who cannot take their litter with them or perform a discrete shovel recce
@Fang_Farrier can inform locally where to stay and avoid

ericferret

War Hero
By coincidence just posted this elsewhere, missus in Spain on her way to Morrocco.

On one German airfield she was told CAMPING IS VERBOTEN!!!!!
Waited till dusk, lobbed her tent over the fence into some scrub. I suggested she take a cam net with her next time.

On another occasion in the Ardenne hearing some snuffling noises she exited her tent to find it surrounded by wild boar.

GAVUH 2002 Matilla de los Canos.jpg
y

Last edited:

philc

LE
For those considering the NC 500 have a wee read of where to stay phone ahead and crucially appreciate the anti tourist feeling amongst the locals

The papers and news have highlighted the flooding northwards of those camper vans and tent errectors who cannot take their litter with them or perform a discrete shovel recce

Mentioned also where, we were in Durness, a one horse town till the NC500. Now the campsite is 365, big club house non stop. The only Supermarket is a Spar, they had two French lads working plus all available locals on shift. What they French lads were doing or how they ended up in Durness is any ones guess. One had T Shirt “welcome to Durness where the Sun never shines” which was sodding true for the week I was there.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I’ve been carefully monitoring the Facebook pages.

After a fortnight of Facebook prowling, my conclusion is that it all seems to be massively blown out of proportion by some NIMBY locals. Yes there are a few scumbags leaving rubbish and shitting al fresco but if the Facebook pages are to be believed then every spare inch of grass in Scotland currently has a campervan squeezed on it.

By all accounts armies of campers are heading north to shit in people’s gardens, eat their kids and set fire to their houses.

They’re even reusing photos from previous years. Even some pics of other destinations like Wales and the Lakes have appeared as so called evidence.

Some of the stuff on the groups is bordering on racism. Of course it’s only the English visitors who are causing trouble. People are posting photos of cars and googling the number plates to see if they’re English.

Some bloke put some really nice phots of him and his lad wild camping on one of the groups. He got torn to shreds by 2 or 3 loud mouth locals because he’d dared to put his tent within site of some old pile of rocks that apparently constituted an important historical monument. The bloke and his kid had even done a litter pick and removed some bags of trash, but the locals still destroyed him on Facebook.

Someone else being called a **** and told to go home because they dared to drive their Landy a few metres off road on what appeared to be a track.

Bunch of cnuts if you ask me. Happy to take the money tourism brings in, but moan about it every chance they get, thinking they are somehow unique as a place that gets busy in the summer.

Frankly nothing I’ve seen as evidence of the wanton destruction of the Scottish Highlands, is any worse than a particularly busy day in the Lake District. A few scumbags leaving a bit of litter and shitting on the beach is basically the gist of it. A bit of increased traffic on the roads.

Unfortunately that’s something that every rural tourist destination has to put up with.

People just taking the few examples of bad behaviour on the route and blowing it massively out of proportion, with a healthy dose of “I hate the fuckin English” thrown in for good measure.

Conversely the page where visitors talk about their own recent NC500 experiences, is full of stunning phots and talk about what a great time they’re having. I’m yet to see a single post by a visitor saying “it’s terrible, you can’t move because it’s so busy and everywhere has piles of shit by the roads.”

We leave on Thursday. I’ll report back as we go.

I believe our very own @verticalgyro is already up there in some massive palace on wheels. Might try and catch up with him en route and let his tyres down.

philc

LE
I’ve been carefully monitoring the Facebook pages.

After a fortnight of Facebook prowling, my conclusion is that it all seems to be massively blown out of proportion by some NIMBY locals. Yes there are a few scumbags leaving rubbish and shitting al fresco but if the Facebook pages are to be believed then every spare inch of grass in Scotland currently has a campervan squeezed on it.

By all accounts armies of campers are heading north to shit in people’s gardens, eat their kids and set fire to their houses.

They’re even reusing photos from previous years. Even some pics of other destinations like Wales and the Lakes have appeared as so called evidence.

Some of the stuff on the groups is bordering on racism. Of course it’s only the English visitors who are causing trouble. People are posting photos of cars and googling the number plates to see if they’re English.

Some bloke put some really nice phots of him and his lad wild camping on one of the groups. He got torn to shreds by 2 or 3 loud mouth locals because he’d dared to put his tent within site of some old pile of rocks that apparently constituted an important historical monument. The bloke and his kid had even done a litter pick and removed some bags of trash, but the locals still destroyed him on Facebook.

Someone else being called a **** and told to go home because they dared to drive their Landy a few metres off road on what appeared to be a track.

Bunch of cnuts if you ask me. Happy to take the money tourism brings in, but moan about it every chance they get, thinking they are somehow unique as a place that gets busy in the summer.

Frankly nothing I’ve seen as evidence of the wanton destruction of the Scottish Highlands, is any worse than a particularly busy day in the Lake District. A few scumbags leaving a bit of litter and shitting on the beach is basically the gist of it. A bit of increased traffic on the roads.

Unfortunately that’s something that every rural tourist destination has to put up with.

People just taking the few examples of bad behaviour on the route and blowing it massively out of proportion, with a healthy dose of “I hate the fuckin English” thrown in for good measure.

Conversely the page where visitors talk about their own recent NC500 experiences, is full of stunning phots and talk about what a great time they’re having. I’m yet to see a single post by a visitor saying “it’s terrible, you can’t move because it’s so busy and everywhere has piles of shit by the roads.”

We leave on Thursday. I’ll report back as we go.

I believe our very own @verticalgyro is already up there in some massive palace on wheels. Might try and catch up with him en route and let his tyres down.

Shitting on the beach is mandatory in Scarborough.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I made a point somewhere upthread about the hardest part of wild camping being finding somewhere where some other bugger isn't it...

The missus and I set off late Saturday afternoon for a few miles paddle on the river nearby. We were above the navigation so no boats about and a few nice twisty whizzy bits to keep it interesting.

The water levels were pretty low and we scraped the bottom a few times but with the current pushing us down there was no need to get out and push.

5 or so miles down stream there's a island, the first we passed where I knew we could stop for the night. We got there around 7, still a couple of hours of light, time enough to find firewood and put a tarp up before dark. After that it's food, fire and rum.

Except, there's someone on my island! They can't have beat us to it by more than half an hour. But they were there and they were stopping.

There's nothing but an unshootable weir a half mile downstream so there was nothing for it but back the way we came. I checked another couple of islands but nowhere to land. The woods on the river banks are full of pretty expensive fishing pegs so I have no confidence they're not patrolled. The shallow bits we scraped on the way down are impassable on the way back so theirs nothing to do but get out and tow back into deep water. The last time was a very shallow, very whizzy bit in full dark and the missus is getting more than a little twitchy by now.

In the end, we made it back to the car around 2300, and home 20 minutes later. We saved the night with rum and fire in the garden.

Wild camping? Screw that.

A few years back I went wild camping with some mates and some random Hispanic girls, in a rural part of California, up in the giant sequoia forests.

Similar situation. it took us about 5 hours to drive up from LA to this particular spot. Then a further 1 or 2 hour hike. The plan was to stay there for a week.

Proper American wilderness, massive eagles flying overhead etc.

We plot up next to this river, it’s absolutely stunning. One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been.

We’d been there about an hour and just cracked open the first beers when a family of 5 with some young kids appear out of the middle of nowhere.

They’d had the same idea and also driven a very long distance to this particular spot. The dad explained that he’d been coming to that one spot for over 20 years, as if it added some weight to his claim to it and we should **** off. One of our group explained he’d been coming for 25.

Felt mildly bad for them, but there were plenty of other spots along the river. Finders keepers etc.

Turns out even in a place as massive as the states, the best wild camping spots are still in high demand.

Anyway, had an utterly brilliant time and the girls couldn’t do enough to make a young Englishman feel welcome in their country.
FA1DFCBB-0FA4-4DFF-BC31-E93F0AF7E5F3.jpeg
B151AF58-72F1-4D9C-8C81-2FA68184C5CE.jpeg
B692CA92-F3D7-4DC1-97F9-E54671266BC5.jpeg
C002A4CF-5B12-4D7A-8A2B-F543C388CB9E.jpeg
C663FBFA-E04B-492C-95DE-5934B554FBB2.jpeg
FD0F219C-F920-48E3-85AE-FC805F2F8760.jpeg
665EA7E1-114F-438B-8F3B-FE32384E8C7D.jpeg

I'm afraid that I'm of an age now where wandering off into the ulu on a shovel recce no longer holds any attraction for me.

What a poof, eh?

They’d had the same idea and also driven a very long distance to this particular spot. The dad explained that he’d been coming to that one spot for over 20 years, as if it added some weight to his claim to it and we should **** off. One of our group explained he’d been coming for 25.

Had the same with a group of 20's lads, half-pikeys armed with 22LR 'off-ticket' long weapons and the compulsory jet ski. And a Dawg. or Dag. On the dead posh River Hamble, at night. After Evinrude the Brave invited me to leave, I invited him to consider I'd never actually missed with my axe, at which point Sir Geraint stepped in from their side to diplomatically invite his mate to leave it, leave it, he's not worth it. We four grandads retained our little bit of beach, but slept with with outdoor cutlery to hand. Once they'd all passed out on the next inhospitable landing place nearby, we released the BFO fireworks saved from last year.

Found these ones from camping in mana pools.

Been a while and my mate was really bad at ID ing animals. One site he was on about there was a 20 foot long python “just over there”.

Had a quick scope and no it was some elephant shite and a lizard.

Anyway few days later, bought our rations, cane alcohol , castle beer ets. put up the tent and drink a few . Mana pools is One of the only parks you can walk without a guide, or it was in 92. No more than 100 m from the river inland.

So we go for a walk, he’s here after scoping and saying there are two rhino over there.

F9BC8917-647C-4EAE-9EFC-CF1E1567E3C3.jpeg

I look and say, twat it’s a couple of rocks.

Cane and beer courage we walk closer and closer.

0257678B-53AD-454D-ACAF-ECC779F5A15A.jpeg

Walking backwards at fast as we could.

Going to a local hotel for a resup of food. Paid two locals about 50 p each to carry the canoe as we could not be bothered to break it down and pack it as we were Going back on the river After a Few beers.

Walking along, the two guys say.

”Hay boss, there are lion and elephant around.“

Can you walk in front so we have a chance to run.?

Err OK.

2D02A3D4-CC15-4669-B96C-6DCD6371A63D.jpeg

Last edited:

‘Had these in Botswana. Roof tents.

unzip ,open and its there.

Back was Fridge/cooler, pots , chairs , table , everything needed For camping . Just buy food and beer.

Salt pan going towards Kubu island, strange as it’s in the middle of the dried up salt lake.
933F0B83-66AC-4DAA-871F-343F8A94FECD.jpeg

Tsodilo Hills
679A881E-F918-4F5B-93F5-50CFF7436C41.jpeg

Only difficult thing was giving the Mrs one during the night . We were luck as our tent was on the back . Our friends was on the side , so any jiggy , jiggy from them started the bakky rocking from side to side.

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Roof tents are definitely the way to go in dark Africa, although I did devise a method of pulling up the ladder with a couple of bungee cords after something big cat-ish* tried climbing up after a me-sized snack one night in Kitulo

* Fortunately the sound of claws on aluminium was enough to rouse me from a gin-induced sleep, enough to find and activate the compressed air horn I kept as a first line of defence....

Roof tents are definitely the way to go in dark Africa, although I did devise a method of pulling up the ladder with a couple of bungee cords after something big cat-ish* tried climbing up after a me-sized snack one night in Kitulo

* Fortunately the sound of claws on aluminium was enough to rouse me from a gin-induced sleep, enough to find and activate the compressed air horn I kept as a first line of defence....

‘My Mrs got really pissed , upset with me as I had “invested” in a new video camera just for the trip.

Sony Digital 8. Handycam, zoom was 25 optical and 700 digital. Also had night IR capability so also bought secondary IR lamp to fit on top. I also had /have a 2 small second gen NVG scope , good as well. It is is also IR capable.

Beer, gin infused sleep, roused by growling or howling , first thing I would do was unzip the tent flap and start videoing whatever was walking around.

She was well pissed with me.

Last edited:

Latest Threads