Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone in to Wild Camping

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally, me and the Mrs think it's cracking entertainment. There is no voice over, just the contestants and the occasional text on the screen. The ones you think will walk it almost invariably don't and they get binned if they lose too much body weight, especially towards the end. You also get to see what the winners do with the money they win. It's one of our favourite kick back TV shows and well worth the investment. It's surprising how many of them bang out with gut issues as they have to boil all their water.
Ohhhhh... I'm going to get serious blood presure issues watching this! six minutes in, some yehaw is trying to light a fire under his tarp, on a groundsheet, sparks from his firestick going everywhere! - and then he starts to use the cutting edge of a small axe on the firestick. -you can see the cutting edge burnt and glowing red.....
This is going to cost me a fortune in Gin and / or TV repairs!

Thanks for the heads-up :thumleft:

On the subject of wild camping / bushcrafty shite to watch, check out Scrambled O on YouTube.

Mad American bloke cooking up good scran and making dens in the woods.

The voiceovers crack me up.
This bloke is also worth a watch - Steve Wallis .

Canadian chap who does a lot of camping outdoors (it might have been this site that I found out about him), there's something relaxing about his voice. Also amusing how much he worries about getting caught stealth camping in the middle of nowhere.

lert

LE
Going back to PLCE bergen’s, I had a Berghaus Crusader for years, in fact I still have it now in the bottom of a cupboard.

The MOD copy of the crusader/Vulcan that was the PLCE bergen was a poor copy, and never as comfy or nice to wear imho.

With reference to your KIMM comment, my two favourite packs are my OMM villain and OMM Jirishanca. Had them for years, still going strong and as good as new :)
Cyclips Roc was the bergen of choice when I was a wee 'un. I wish I knew what happened to mine.

Is it me or did the good bits of Karrimor get chopped out to become OMM?

Ohhhhh... I'm going to get serious blood presure issues watching this! six minutes in, some yehaw is trying to light a fire under his tarp, on a groundsheet, sparks from his firestick going everywhere! - and then he starts to use the cutting edge of a small axe on the firestick. -you can see the cutting edge burnt and glowing red.....
This is going to cost me a fortune in Gin and / or TV repairs!

Thanks for the heads-up :thumleft:
'Fire stick'
Keep that term in your noggin. I didn't know what a fire stick was until I'd seen it in action.

Is it me or did the good bits of Karrimor get chopped out to become OMM?
Karrimor SF are still making decent kit, no idea how they were split from Karrimor when that was acquired by Sports Direct.

Slime

LE
Karrimor SF are still making decent kit, no idea how they were split from Karrimor when that was acquired by Sports Direct.

For me, Karrimor SF means proper gear made in the U.K., Karrimor means cheapo stuff made in China or Vietnam.

This bloke is also worth a watch - Steve Wallis .

Canadian chap who does a lot of camping outdoors (it might have been this site that I found out about him), there's something relaxing about his voice. Also amusing how much he worries about getting caught stealth camping in the middle of nowhere.

I think it was even posted on this thread. Good stuff - a shame he's not posted over the past week, hope nothing bad has happened.

I think it was even posted on this thread. Good stuff - a shame he's not posted over the past week, hope nothing bad has happened.
Now I think about it I might have seen him on one of the camper van threads, I'm pretty sure it was a 'stealth camping in a van' video I saw him in first.

lert

LE
Yeah I knew that, but I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that the design shop quit en masse or something and went off to found OMM.

Now I think about it I might have seen him on one of the camper van threads, I'm pretty sure it was a 'stealth camping in a van' video I saw him in first.

The first one I saw - linked through the site - was stealth camping at a day centre (which I think is just a park). Since then I've watched his videos pretty much every week and also watched a lot of his old stuff. The boondocking one is particularly good.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I suppose when I got the Jetboil it was very much the in thing. This was before you could get Chinese clones and various other types of stove. The choices were Jetboil, hexy telly or Trangia.

It was also before Go Outdoors and Amazon. The only places to buy stuff like this was Cotswold Outdoors and Blacks.

The Jetboil works, it’s stood the test of time and I like it.

I realise I mentioned weight but I don’t really have this massive obsession with saving grams like a lot of hill walkers / campers. Obviously I don’t wanna be carrying around a few bricks unnecessarily but as long as my kit isn’t ridiculous then it’s all good.

I think the only time I’ve ever bought something and specifically been arsed about the weight is when I was looking for a doss bag to replace the issue bouncing bomb. Even then I was more interested in how much space it would take up.

I put a review of my tent on a Facebook group this morning and some bloke started saying it was a shame it’s over 3kg otherwise it’d be perfect. I enquired what his tent was and it’s the Vango that I saw in Go Outdoors which I decided wasn’t as good as mine. It’s double the price but weighs about 500g less. It’s also not as nicely made IMHO. This bloke was prepared to spend 90 quid extra and sacrifice a bit of quality for the sake of 500g.

I totally get it and understand why people want to keep their weight down, but I’m 6’2” and nearly 15 stone. A few extra grams here and there on my gear is nothing compared to a few hundred gimpy rounds or some batteries for the bowman which I’m sure we’ve all had the pleasure of lugging around at some point.

Without putting too fine a point on it, I’m a big lump and I can carry a lot of weight.

I choose robustness, quality and price over a few grams any day of the week.

Edit:

Also I bought the Jetboil specifically with military use in mind. For rocking up in a harbour area when you’re shattered and have a rifle to clean and admin to sort, there really is nothing better than whipping that thing out and chucking your rat pack in it.

Actually scratch that, there is something better. It’s putting it away afterwards with no washing up to do, when your oppos are trying to scrub black shit off the bottoms of their mess tins.

from pretty much day one I used to carry a german army water bottle/cup kit (pre crusader cups as we only got one issue water bottle) packing an epigas scorpion stove in my kidney pouch which was super light and super stable so if I ran out of gas it didn't matter, I made a mini hexy stove out of a ration tin that worked much better than the issue thing giving me a nice blue flame rather than a huge dirty yellow one.

cycling I like to have a choice so I pack a lightweight primus gas stove and a small pop can stove or a varga titanium meths burner so I can use whatever is available or cook with two pans or just take a stanley adventure cookset and a trangia style burner with a big bottle of meths as its cheaper than gas.

mind you I've refilled the jetboil type of canisters with those cheapo butane cans a few times now, quite handy.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Gen question, would boiling or a puritab get rid of diesel?

diesel floats so you would need to take water from the bottom like a sip well or skim it off.

you can get funnels designed to separate water contaminated diesel.

'tainted' water you can sometimes clean up with a charcoal and sand filter then boil with a lump of charcoal in to soak up any chemicals.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
For me, Karrimor SF means proper gear made in the U.K., Karrimor means cheapo stuff made in China or Vietnam.
Karrimor SF has been made abroad since at least 2007, the design is / was Brit and they had / have pretty good QA, the brand is sold in UK by PRI International (although the 'i' is superfluous, like the 'T' in PAT testing). I used to sell their kit as a sideline and still have various bits and pieces that I use regularly

Slime

LE
Karrimor SF has been made abroad since at least 2007, the design is / was Brit and they had / have pretty good QA, the brand is sold in UK by PRI International (although the 'i' is superfluous, like the 'T' in PAT testing). I used to sell their kit as a sideline and still have various bits and pieces that I use regularly

That goes to show how out of date I am with Army kit :)
I’ve just had a quick think, and can only remember buying Australian FRED tin openers since around 2007 :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Something a bit different last night.

Our holiday to Gran Canaria next week has now bitten the dust due to Covid. Despite protestations from the locals, we’ve decided to give the NC500 a go, doing a combination of wild camping and plotting up in campsites that have space. We don’t want to book anywhere so as to remain flexible with the itinerary.

We’re looking at a few options for tentage.

1) OEX Jackal III as mentioned earlier in this thread. Upside, can stick it up anywhere, on beaches, in woods, away from roads. Downsides, takes a few minutes to put up / take down. Not as comfy as the roof tent.

2) My mate’s roof tent slapped on our Merc GLC. Upside, quick to erect, a bit more of a permanent base. Better in shite weather. Downsides, massively reduced fuel economy, can’t take a roof box so less space for stuff. Limited on where we can put it up, needs to be somewhere accessible by car.

3) A combination of the above. Allows the flexibility to camp on beaches and the like, but also do the roof tent if the weather is honking. Downsides, means carrying more kit.

We tested the OEX out last weekend to rave reviews from all concerned. We decided to try out the roof tent last night.

I’ve put a proper review of this tent in the reviews section, it’s just waiting for MOD approval.

It was fun but as you’ll see from my review, it’s not without its downsides.

Nice to be out anyway. Cheeky bit of steak cooked with Peppadews and peppercorn sauce on a cheapo little gas stove I bought on Amazon. Some home smoked cheese and Jetboil hot chocolate too.

Check out the little salt and pepper grinders. A couple of quid from Yorkshire Trading Company and cracking pieces of kit for the campfire kitchen. You can operate them one handed, just press the plunger with your thumb.

Also got a new Mora Companion knife. **** me it’s sharp. Only 12 quid on Amazon. I don’t think you can get a better blade for the money.
64FB4E2B-5DE6-4829-995E-BDC68BE561AC.jpeg
0A8228CB-B557-4428-9BA7-A0AF032E7042.jpeg
F57FB78C-31E3-4A96-81C2-FB1161907701.jpeg
46259894-CE4A-4704-9965-80D1BE4882AD.jpeg
3983185A-8027-49D4-98B0-68BBBA838B8D.jpeg
E318414A-927E-4F21-BB1E-0DE733F3E77A.jpeg
C6BA5F31-B354-44B9-ADEC-DCCC49DE2064.jpeg
4B78C7A0-B836-4E4A-8532-4D5C6422199A.jpeg
7C7D6E7C-2600-451C-96E2-4F12CE5EF36B.jpeg
4971FBFC-A595-4D44-B93B-684955F15B82.jpeg
C0435369-BB44-4567-A858-984105EADD66.jpeg

Slime

LE
Something a bit different last night.

Our holiday to Gran Canaria next week has now bitten the dust due to Covid. Despite protestations from the locals, we’ve decided to give the NC500 a go, doing a combination of wild camping and plotting up in campsites that have space. We don’t want to book anywhere so as to remain flexible with the itinerary.

We’re looking at a few options for tentage.

1) OEX Jackal III as mentioned earlier in this thread. Upside, can stick it up anywhere, on beaches, in woods, away from roads. Downsides, takes a few minutes to put up / take down. Not as comfy as the roof tent.

2) My mate’s roof tent slapped on our Merc GLC. Upside, quick to erect, a bit more of a permanent base. Better in shite weather. Downsides, massively reduced fuel economy, can’t take a roof box so less space for stuff. Limited on where we can put it up, needs to be somewhere accessible by car.

3) A combination of the above. Allows the flexibility to camp on beaches and the like, but also do the roof tent if the weather is honking. Downsides, means carrying more kit.

We tested the OEX out last weekend to rave reviews from all concerned. We decided to try out the roof tent last night.

I’ve put a proper review of this tent in the reviews section, it’s just waiting for MOD approval.

It was fun but as you’ll see from my review, it’s not without its downsides.

Nice to be out anyway. Cheeky bit of steak cooked with Peppadews and peppercorn sauce on a cheapo little gas stove I bought on Amazon. Some home smoked cheese and Jetboil hot chocolate too.

Check out the little salt and pepper grinders. A couple of quid from Yorkshire Trading Company and cracking pieces of kit for the campfire kitchen. You can operate them one handed, just press the plunger with your thumb.

Also got a new Mora Companion knife. **** me it’s sharp. Only 12 quid on Amazon. I don’t think you can get a better blade for the money.
View attachment 495447View attachment 495448View attachment 495449View attachment 495450View attachment 495451View attachment 495452View attachment 495453View attachment 495454View attachment 495455View attachment 495456View attachment 495457
With regards to having a roof tent on a normal car, have you checked out the load capacity of the roof of roof rails?
Many normal cars have a max safe load of around 75kg.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With regards to having a roof tent on a normal car, have you checked out the load capacity of the roof of roof rails?
Many normal cars have a max safe load of around 75kg.

Yeah I’ve checked. All good.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally not a fan of roof tents, from personal experience :-
C of G raised massively
PITA having to pack away if / when you want to use the vehicle
Night time bladder relief....
Absolutely shite in bad weather - high winds / sandstorms / coastal squalls etc.
That said, good to get out & about, even moreso with Family in tow, hopefully willingly... :thumleft:

ETA - Mora knives are excellent value, i've got a couple that are many years old and still good tools, easily sharpen as well.

If anyone has @£30k kicking about, those rather nifty Aussie trailers have made it to Europe.
Mind you, that's the 2nd hand price bracket....

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
If anyone has @£30k kicking about, those rather nifty Aussie trailers have made it to Europe.
Mind you, that's the 2nd hand price bracket....

A mate of mine makes 'offroad trailers' from old Sankey trailers
IIRC this one was £9k inc the Howling Moon roof tent & awning
1597007376596.png

Some other examples of his sideline...
1597006886794.png

1597006964041.png

1597007010070.png
1597007138591.png

Attachments

• 1597007138478.png
    1597007138478.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 14