Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone in to Wild Camping

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Sawyer would beg to differ.

Rated to 0.1 micron absolute filtration, it removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, leptospirosis, cholera and E.coli, , removes 99.9999% of all protozoa (such as giardia and cryptosporidium), and it also removes 100% of microplastics.
I'm sure it does, the molecular size of Diesel is 0.000154 Micron though, just one of the contaminants you could come across. True, it's not a bacteria, virus or protozoa but it'll still give you the squits.

lert

LE
I'm sure it does, the molecular size of Diesel is 0.000154 Micron though, just one of the contaminants you could come across. True, it's not a bacteria, virus or protozoa but it'll still give you the squits.
Gen question, would boiling or a puritab get rid of diesel?

I assume antifreeze, glycol, would also get through and that would get your bowel movements going too.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Boiling would probably cause some of it to be carried off wrapped in 'steam', large amounts would be visible as they coagulate on the surface. A puritab wouldn't do anything I think.
ETA - I don't know enough of the chemistry as to whether some contaminants would be caught by Carbon elements in a filter, regardless of molecular size

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I assume antifreeze, glycol, would also get through and that would get your bowel movements going too.
yep, but as that tends to be dilutable by water you'd be unlucky to get a high enough concentration, Diesel tends to 'clump' on top of the water, although could be drawn from further down from a bubbling stream

Slime

LE
As the saying goes, you can have cheap, robust or light. Pick one.

An interesting comment?
I’m not sure what you are referring to though :)

Plus, With many hikers not parachuting with their gear, or throwing it into the floor from a 4 tonner there isn’t the same need to be robust. :)

I'm too old and ugly to do camping these days and the arthritis would be murder in the cold and damp.
However, if you adventurous lot want a peek at some proper roughing it, 'the TV series, 'Alone', is a good watch. I've mentioned it in the TV prog thread I think. Some of the episodes are hilarious, given they almost all claim to be 'survival experts' of one form or another, but it's clear that you wouldn't trust some of them to boil a kettle.
The basic premise is Joe bloggs is dropped off in the middle of nowhere with a limited number of items and the idea is that they have to beat the other 10 people dropped off in similar circumstances. The one that lasts the longest wins $500k and you can leave any time you want. Some tear jerkers along the way and some PMSL situations. It's on series 7 at the moment and we've watched the lot. Oh, they can't take any food in, so everything they eat, they have to source themselves. There is no camera team with them, so most of them suffer from the isolation.
10/10 from the Biffster.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm too old and ugly to do camping these days and the arthritis would be murder in the cold and damp.
However, if you adventurous lot want a peek at some proper roughing it, 'the TV series, 'Alone', is a good watch. I've mentioned it in the TV prog thread I think. Some of the episodes are hilarious, given they almost all claim to be 'survival experts' of one form or another, but it's clear that you wouldn't trust some of them to boil a kettle.
The basic premise is Joe bloggs is dropped off in the middle of nowhere with a limited number of items and the idea is that they have to beat the other 10 people dropped off in similar circumstances. The one that lasts the longest wins $500k and you can leave any time you want. Some tear jerkers along the way and some PMSL situations. It's on series 7 at the moment and we've watched the lot. Oh, they can't take any food in, so everything they eat, they have to source themselves. There is no camera team with them, so most of them suffer from the isolation.
10/10 from the Biffster.
Cheers mate, i'll have a look for it - sounds just the thing to get me shouting at the TV again now we don't put the 'news' on anymore!

Cheers mate, i'll have a look for it - sounds just the thing to get me shouting at the TV again now we don't put the 'news' on anymore!
Personally, me and the Mrs think it's cracking entertainment. There is no voice over, just the contestants and the occasional text on the screen. The ones you think will walk it almost invariably don't and they get binned if they lose too much body weight, especially towards the end. You also get to see what the winners do with the money they win. It's one of our favourite kick back TV shows and well worth the investment. It's surprising how many of them bang out with gut issues as they have to boil all their water.

lert

LE
An interesting comment?
I’m not sure what you are referring to though :)

Plus, With many hikers not parachuting with their gear, or throwing it into the floor from a 4 tonner there isn’t the same need to be robust. :)
At the risk of being deliberately obtuse, I was referring to your comment about the weight of an empty PLCE Bergen.

Now I'd be the first to admit that I don't treat the kit I buy myself the same way I did that the QM gave me :)

No, by robust I mean something that is going to last years and that I don't have to worry about blowing a zip or a strap or buckle breaking when I'm out so I need to nurse for a couple of days or more. I've got a Lowe Alpine rucksack and a Karrimor (before Sports Direct bought them) daysack that are both 25 years old and both as serviceable as when they were new. My North Face Expedition grip has been used and abused for 17 years and while scuffed doesn't have so much as a blown stitch. All of those things were effing expensive when I bought them mind, but they've lasted.

Similarly I've had in the past some ultra-lightweight KIMM type kit that also wasn't cheap. But I would never had dreamed of using it the same way or in the same conditions. I wouldn't have dreamed of wearing a 140g odd shell jacket for day after day in Greenland for example.

lert

LE
Personally, me and the Mrs think it's cracking entertainment. There is no voice over, just the contestants and the occasional text on the screen. The ones you think will walk it almost invariably don't and they get binned if they lose too much body weight, especially towards the end. You also get to see what the winners do with the money they win. It's one of our favourite kick back TV shows and well worth the investment. It's surprising how many of them bang out with gut issues as they have to boil all their water.
Not seen it, but I think programmes like this are one of the reasons wild camping has become confused with survival skills under the general umbrella of 'bushcraft'.

For me at least, it's about finding somewhere away from it all and being comfy doing it. If I'm drinking my own piss and eating shit flies* then I've got it very wrong. Nope, I want to be bivvied up and beered up. Not fed up.

The beeb did a series relatively recently that sums it up for me.

Roaming in the Wild, Series 1: 1. Over the Moor: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008n9j via @bbciplayer

Two mates having wee adventures and enjoying it at the same time.

*Sorry mate, that's not a honey fly. That's a shit fly!

wheel

LE
Its American so scripted shite. A bit like the term Kick Back WTF does that mean. I,m off to pack my camping kit for the weekend. Check list VW T5 on the drive .............

Ray Mears, Bear Grylls, Kirkz...... bloody amateurs.

If you want to know how to survive in style, read The Swiss Family Robinson..... loved every minute of it.

Even Brotherton Lad would gulp in disbelief at the level of bullshit.......

Its American so scripted shite. A bit like the term Kick Back WTF does that mean. I,m off to pack my camping kit for the weekend. Check list VW T5 on the drive .............
That's the funny part although I don't think any of it is scripted. Certainly some of the contestants have an agenda but it's well edited.
How can I offend you further?
We also like to chill out and get down wiv d kids, innit.

Not seen it, but I think programmes like this are one of the reasons wild camping has become confused with survival skills under the general umbrella of 'bushcraft'.

For me at least, it's about finding somewhere away from it all and being comfy doing it. If I'm drinking my own piss and eating shit flies* then I've got it very wrong. Nope, I want to be bivvied up and beered up. Not fed up.

The beeb did a series relatively recently that sums it up for me.

Roaming in the Wild, Series 1: 1. Over the Moor: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008n9j via @bbciplayer

Two mates having wee adventures and enjoying it at the same time.

*Sorry mate, that's not a honey fly. That's a shit fly!
No mate.
Wild camping this isn't. It is 100% survival. How any of them haven't been mauled by a bear yet is a surprise.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On the subject of wild camping / bushcrafty shite to watch, check out Scrambled O on YouTube.

Mad American bloke cooking up good scran and making dens in the woods.

The voiceovers crack me up.

Slime

LE
At the risk of being deliberately obtuse, I was referring to your comment about the weight of an empty PLCE Bergen.

Now I'd be the first to admit that I don't treat the kit I buy myself the same way I did that the QM gave me :)

No, by robust I mean something that is going to last years and that I don't have to worry about blowing a zip or a strap or buckle breaking when I'm out so I need to nurse for a couple of days or more. I've got a Lowe Alpine rucksack and a Karrimor (before Sports Direct bought them) daysack that are both 25 years old and both as serviceable as when they were new. My North Face Expedition grip has been used and abused for 17 years and while scuffed doesn't have so much as a blown stitch. All of those things were effing expensive when I bought them mind, but they've lasted.

Similarly I've had in the past some ultra-lightweight KIMM type kit that also wasn't cheap. But I would never had dreamed of using it the same way or in the same conditions. I wouldn't have dreamed of wearing a 140g odd shell jacket for day after day in Greenland for example.

Going back to PLCE bergen’s, I had a Berghaus Crusader for years, in fact I still have it now in the bottom of a cupboard.

The MOD copy of the crusader/Vulcan that was the PLCE bergen was a poor copy, and never as comfy or nice to wear imho.

With reference to your KIMM comment, my two favourite packs are my OMM villain and OMM Jirishanca. Had them for years, still going strong and as good as new :)

Slime

LE
Ray Mears, Bear Grylls, Kirkz...... bloody amateurs.

If you want to know how to survive in style, read The Swiss Family Robinson..... loved every minute of it.

Even Brotherton Lad would gulp in disbelief at the level of bullshit.......

Ray Mears is a top chap, nobody gets that fat if they aren’t good at finding food.

lert

LE
Ray Mears is a top chap, nobody gets that fat if they aren’t good at finding food.
Indeed. And Ray's ability to find a family bucket of fried chicken is clearly unparalleled!

Latest Threads