Anyone in to Wild Camping

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Tried one of these last year and got pretty sick for about 48 hours - vomiting etc. Was using one of those things and not sure it does a good a job as they claim? Unless just coincidence maybe.
Did you flush it through with a litre or two first? possibly a viral infection as these type of filters do not do well against sub 0.1 μm viri, only Halogens or heating >56deg. C. will sort them out.

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
Tried one of these last year and got pretty sick for about 48 hours - vomiting etc. Was using one of those things and not sure it does a good a job as they claim? Unless just coincidence maybe.
It's a filter, not a purifier. Filters will take out particulates and SE bacteria but the water may still need to be treated. Boiling, UV or a purification tab should always be used if you don't trust the water source. Even then, it won't remove dissolved metals and other contaminants from farms, industrial sites, etc.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don’t think I’ve ever been far enough from civilisation where I’ve had to purify water.

The longest I’ve ever wild camped for was 3 days and I was never more than a few hours walk from a pub.

I always have the car strategically filled up with bottles of water and food in case I need to go and stock up.

We’ve all heard the stories of drinking out of a nice clear stream, only to find a rotting sheep carcass in it a hundred metres up the hill.

I’ve just found this thread. There’s a couple of pics in the NAAFI bar phots thread of my Hennessy Hammock. It is the dogs. I’ve used it from NZ to UK to the Amazon. Never let me down. Only weighs about 1kg with my adaptations. (Extra bungy, tree straps, carabinas and climbing slings.)
Water filter is a Katadyn Vario. When not in use they are kept in my bug out/earthquake emergency rucksack. As an annual check, the day after my birthday (So that I don’t forget!) everything gets taken out, cleaned, and practiced with. I also change batteries where I need to and change around my stock of cash. Last year I showed my daughter how to use the stuff and this year, if the lockdown in Peru is over we are off out for a couple of days in the mountains. If not, the roof of my place is flat, we’ll camp out there!

I use much of the kit during the year when I’m working, but with the virus I’ve not seen most of it for a while.
82B2F7C6-11FB-4E8E-B01D-CF1C3E46325C.jpeg
15E072FF-1AA8-4120-803B-23B80E2B0536.jpeg

Lots of wild camping here, but for most of the year it's a doddle. Biggest issue is ensuring availability of food, other than fish. Water's not a problem where we are, there's plenty of it.

Was just looking at water filters. Which one?
a. Katadyn, with a 0.6l bottle
b. Sawyer squeeze
c. MSR Trail shot.
Thoughts, comments, experiences or other alternatives. Boiling water after filtration is a given.

Everyone at some point in their adult lives gets the dreaded schitts (V&D)! Almost guaranteed with desert OPs. Though the place where I intend to camp is not the desert. The water is probably quite clean and could quite realistically be taken straight from a moving stream and drunk, without any ill effects. I'm still haunted and to a certain extent scarred, by the worst case of V&D I've ever contracted. While staying at my In-laws cabin and after some very heavy rains, I took some water from the tap. Unfiltered, straight from the water basin storage a little further up the hill. Done so for yonks, without any ill effects. Within 30 minutes of drinking the water, I'm struck down with V&D. 12 hours of trauma as every ounce of fluid tries to leave my body any which ways it can. To be honest I was terrified at how extreme it all was. I shudder at the thought of going down with something like that so far from a friendly port!
So a filter it is, but which one?

SK

Was just looking at water filters. Which one?
a. Katadyn, with a 0.6l bottle
b. Sawyer squeeze
c. MSR Trail shot.
Thoughts, comments, experiences or other alternatives. Boiling water after filtration is a given.

Everyone at some point in their adult lives gets the dreaded schitts (V&D)! Almost guaranteed with desert OPs. Though the place where I intend to camp is not the desert. The water is probably quite clean and could quite realistically be taken straight from a moving stream and drunk, without any ill effects. I'm still haunted and to a certain extent scarred, by the worst case of V&D I've ever contracted. While staying at my In-laws cabin and after some very heavy rains, I took some water from the tap. Unfiltered, straight from the water basin storage a little further up the hill. Done so for yonks, without any ill effects. Within 30 minutes of drinking the water, I'm struck down with V&D. 12 hours of trauma as every ounce of fluid tries to leave my body any which ways it can. To be honest I was terrified at how extreme it all was. I shudder at the thought of going down with something like that so far from a friendly port!
So a filter it is, but which one?

SK
Any of the above should be fine if you include boiling it afterwards as well. Good idea to run it though a piece of material before filtering to take any large bits out (I use an old t shirt).

My personal choice is the Sawyer but that's because it's the one I have used the most TBH.

Evening guys, in an effort to lighten up my camping gear I have bought one of these DD Tarp 3x3 - MC | DD Hammocks a 3x3 lightweight tarp that weighs less than 800g and can be used to build a shelter along with my walking poles but I am after ideas for shelter designs if anyone has any?

Any websites that have easy to follow diagrams?

It comes with pegs and guy ropes and as I said I have walking poles but do I need any other kit? I also have the tarp part of an old IPK to put on the ground.
The tarp showed up Today so providing I can get a decent dry day I will head to the woods (they are within 5 miles so relax, no rules being broken ;-) and try out some pitching ideas and see what I can come up with :)

I don’t think I’ve ever been far enough from civilisation where I’ve had to purify water.

The longest I’ve ever wild camped for was 3 days and I was never more than a few hours walk from a pub.

I always have the car strategically filled up with bottles of water and food in case I need to go and stock up.

We’ve all heard the stories of drinking out of a nice clear stream, only to find a rotting sheep carcass in it a hundred metres up the hill.
I seem to remember being taught on my AACSIC that it took a lot less than 100m for the old ‘dead sheep’ problem to work its way out.

‘They’ could be wrong, or more likely, what you don’t see won’t hurt you.

That was in the last century though, when things were a lot less strict and the original ‘Dinger’ was the instructor...

Spent the last hour or so looking at tarp setups and also went on the DD Hammocks site and bought a few extra bits and pieces :)

Aiming to try a few designs this weekend.

A Few links you guys might find handy:

I took my wee lad upto the Spinkwee river in the Mourne Mountains last night to see if he liked it.

Back up again for a few nights in the near future, weather permitting, he enjoyed it that much.

My pics from my camera phone won't upload, it's saying images too large.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

flavour that is.

just cos you lundun types like your water to taste of other peoples kidneys.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Sweet water has always been my limitation on how long to stay out. A mountain brook and purifiers, maybe, but all the rivers down south are covered in May Bloom, an 'orrible algae. How do people treat fresh water?
dig a hole next to the funny water source, line with grass and let it fill, the water will be filtered by the ground inbetween sucking out the big nasties, flukes cysts, bacteria and green shit. chuck out the first cup full to get rid of loose sediment, then most of the time it will be safe to drink but boil if you want to be sure.

when stuck and on boggy ground we used make a stamp well,

the funniest filter I saw was a pair of walking trousers - pull one leg inside the other then tie into a knot for an ersatz millbank bag.

a nifty way to boil purify water and not contaminate your main vessel is in a discarded pop bottle. fill bottle, make sure ALL air is out then put on fire to heat up. leave to cool and it's sterilised. its a bit like boiling it in a paper bag suspended over a fire which kids also think is 'cool' I tend to carry a few crushed 2l bottles cycle touring so I can pick up water for the evening when I can. filtered clean water can be sterilised by leaving the bottles in string sunlight as well.

vitamin C tablets are good for removing the tang of puritabs. do not over purify your water it will have negative effects upon the operation of your colon.

the cleanest source of free water cyclists use is churches and cemeteries

one place that's pretty good to camp is canalside. CRT don't seem to mind if its for one night with room for tents on the towpath or trees for hammocking and you move when ready on so its ideal for short stop overs, you can buy service keys for the loos, showers and taps too for a fiver.

if I knew I was off somewhere in advance then I used to stash bottles of water around the area during the recce.

BopBopBop

War Hero
I took my wee lad upto the Spinkwee river in the Mourne Mountains last night to see if he liked it.

Back up again for a few nights in the near future, weather permitting, he enjoyed it that much.

My pics from my camera phone won't upload, it's saying images too large.
You need to compress the image.

I use Lit Photo (free app) on android.

1. Select compress photos.
2. Select the images from your gallery (just press on them) then click OK.
3. Click start compressing.

You should be able to find the new compressed pictures in a new Lit Photo folder in your gallery for uploading.

You can also resize the picture.

Too old to be arsed with proper wild camping and I trust Australia as there is a lack of water and abundance of evil beasts, however, there are miles (sorry KM's) of forrestry, national parks, state forests, beaches, bush and tracks which can be explored in my 4x4 and my son and I have been doing a bit of wild camping out of the back of the 4x4.

Nothing too elaborate, tarp to keep off the rain and a couple of small tents. Nice to be able to carry the water, a cooler full of beer and a non-stick pan!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"Wild camping" at Clashnessie

FB_IMG_1595323631875.jpg

Latest Threads