Anyone in to Wild Camping

Gents,
As the title suggests are any of you in to wild camping? And if so; have you got any recommendations on good places to camp. Perhaps you even take your kids camping with you?
Or are you on of them blokes who miss the days of kipping out in the open since leaving the mob (like me), and want to get back in to it?
I was thinking of maybe doing a week or so, next march, whilst walking the South Downs Way.
Anyone up for a discussion on this topic?

Edited to add: Maybe the use of the words 'wild camping' in the title of this thread is making me sound like a bit of a bell end or something. The point being I'm interested to see whether anyone on here regularly 'camps out' (for want of better terminology).

Last edited:
Kill yourself.
Again.
Fella.

Practise makes perfect.
Fair comment. But I thought that it's a reasonable post to make, since there's a few blokes on here that served in the Forces old son. However, I shall take you off of the list.
Fair enough?

Used to go quite a bit in the UK, look on YouTube there are heaps of them, some odd Stealth Campers who do it in urban places (like 10 minutes walk from their house). Creepy cnuts, stick to the hills and coast in wild places.

Used to go quite a bit in the UK, look on YouTube there are heaps of them, some odd Stealth Campers who do it in urban places (like 10 minutes walk from their house). Creepy cnuts, stick to the hills and coast in wild places.
That's the idea bud.

Brother in law used to do it using a kayak. Paddle all day then find a suitable spot to kip at night.
Kit carried by the kayak including beers.

Fair comment. But I thought that it's a reasonable post to make, since there's a few blokes on here that served in the Forces old son. However, I shall take you off of the list.
Fair enough?
I don't mind roughing it during the day when on holiday but prefer civilised overnight surroundings. Any fool can be cold and uncomfortable.

Arkanstigger

War Hero
Not done it for a while, but enjoy bivvying up miles from anyone.

The issue with 'wild camping' is once a good spot is publicised on social media, (the same goes for bothies, caves etc), word spreads and within 6 months the place is trashed and full of burnt out disposable BBQs, turds and broken bottles.

I don't mind roughing it during the day when on holiday but prefer civilised overnight surroundings. Any fool can be cold and uncomfortable.
Agreed. Nothing beats room service in a five star hotel, with brasses and sniff on speed dial, but that's not what this thread is about.

Personally I don't understand the concept of 'good spots' for wild camping. If I'm off bimbling I'll have marked up flat spots near water before I set off. As it gets towards the end of the afternoon I'll pick whichever one is closest and park a tent there.

Brother in law used to do it using a kayak. Paddle all day then find a suitable spot to kip at night.
Kit carried by the kayak including beers.
A mate of mine does it whilst mountain biking. He's into all that ultra light weight kit, and spends a fecking fortune on his 'hobby'.
Mind you, he works in the City, and is a child free, fifty something, fitness fanatic.

You could cheat and use a Bothy, think of it as wild camping without the tent

This wasn't the sort of 'wild camping' I was expecting, to be honest.
Booties donning their favorite Little Black Dress don't count

Latest Threads