Anyone in the know?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by franco, Mar 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all.
    I'll keep this brief
    I'm ex Royal Marines but i've been out for 15 years. I'm seriously interested in some CP/Convoy protection work but i've been told by Aegis that they wont look at me because i've been out for more than 4 years. I explained I was in the process of booking myself on a reputable course (which they recognised) but they insisted they would not be interested. I was just wandering if this was going to be the standard response? I have the listings for all the firms operating out of Iraq/Afghanistan and wandered if it would be worth ringing round and getting a consensus before I shell out the best part of £5000? I didn't really want to be pestering people as this may get peoples backs up and I want to try and be discrete. I'm now 37, single, educated to degree level, I still maintain a high level of physical fitness and I am well aware of what this work involves.
    Any advice by people in the know would be really appreciated.
  2. Could you not go RMR for a few months?

I don't know if it would help.
  3. Too old!
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Really I thought all the reserve age limits went up!
  5. From a friend of mine who has recently returned/ finished.
    If you are 37 can you not join the TA? If you can get into the inf you could be in Iraqistan quite soon, speak to people while you are there. What these companies will look for is recent experience- bear in mind that you will be competing for work against guys in their 20's with several recent tours behind them. If you spend 6 months there with the Army you may 'get it out of your system' and save yourself several grand in the process. The money is not what it was 3 or 4 yrs ago.
  6. Just spoken to RMR and TA and their age limit is now 43! This has changed since I last applied so there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnell. I've just spoken with them and I have an interview next wednesday which is good. Thanks for your advice, I wouldn't have thought of this otherwise.
  7. Just a rumour so take it for what it's worth, but an RMR friend of mine who shares a drill hall with TA infantry reckons they (the TA) get mobilised much easier than the RMR guys.

I think all RMR need to go FTRS to do a tour.
  8. Are you sure about the RMR age limit; the last time I looked at the official site, it was 30 for civvies, 35 for ex-Military :?

Good luck anyway, mate. :)
  9. You are correct about RMR age limits but the Army is now 43 so I guess I wont be having a trip to Lympstone after all. Shame, as I used to really enjoy the Tarzan assault course and I was really looking forward to doing the 30 miler at the age of 37!
  10. You probably could have cracked it, mate - one journo completed it at the age of 55! 8O 8)
  11. You wouldn't have had to do it again anyway, just your recruits training, did you try giving them a ring, they do sometimes make exceptions on the age limit (well the TA used to).

Also, if it's naked roll matt fighting you're after, have you thought about 131 commando RE.
  12. I rang RMR but they insistesd I was too old. It's a shame but rules are rules and I don't think that one could be 'bent' anymore. They make allowances up to the age of 35. I never actually participated in naked roll-mat fighting....we used to enjoy naked volleyball!
    Thanks for the advice thogh.
  13. Well, since the TA age limit is now 43, you could always turn to the Dark Side...4 PARA! :twisted:
  14. I'm not too fussed about the colour of the 'lid' I get, it's hopefully going to be a means to an end....nothing more. Thanks for the advice though.