Anyone identify what type of tank this is?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by RogerOut2, Jan 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry only picture i have of this tank, can anyone help identify what it is and in service dates?

Attached Files:

2. it's definatley an army tank
    • Like Like x 8
  3. M4 Sherman 1942-45. Looks like a late war model.
  4. Someone should kick that fergin chair away
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Judging by the slope on the side it might be an M4 Sherman

(he beat me to it)
  6. Thanks guys, the person who wanted the information is delighted with that thanks
  7. is that before or after you bother to type "ww11 tanks" into an image search engine?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mate i wouldnt know where to start
  9. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

definitely looks like a Sherman but bit too much flare on picture to get detail
  10. Judging by the British-style stowage on the back decks, I'd say it is more than likely an M4A2 Sherman (Sherman III in UK nomenclature). This is also evidenced by the angle of the hull rear plate. UK/Commonwealth forces were supplied mostly with the M4A2 & M4A4 Sherman by the USA - this was because the US Army disliked both types, the M4A2 because it was diesel-powered (the US Army wanted to standardise on gasoline power) & the M4A4 because it was powered by a Chrysler multibank engine (5 gasoline truck engines grouped round a common crankshaft, very complex & difficult to maintain), so they reserved the 2 types for Lend-Lease stock. Other recipients of the M4A2 were the US Marine Corps & Soviet Red Army.
    I'd also say the photo was taken in either North Africa (most likely Tunisia) or Italy, judging from the scenery & the camouflage painting of the tank.