Anyone identify what type of tank this is?

Sorry only picture i have of this tank, can anyone help identify what it is and in service dates?

Attachments

it's definatley an army tank

Judging by the slope on the side it might be an M4 Sherman

(he beat me to it)

Thanks guys, the person who wanted the information is delighted with that thanks

Someone should kick that fergin chair away
is that before or after you bother to type "ww11 tanks" into an image search engine?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
definitely looks like a Sherman but bit too much flare on picture to get detail

Judging by the British-style stowage on the back decks, I'd say it is more than likely an M4A2 Sherman (Sherman III in UK nomenclature). This is also evidenced by the angle of the hull rear plate. UK/Commonwealth forces were supplied mostly with the M4A2 & M4A4 Sherman by the USA - this was because the US Army disliked both types, the M4A2 because it was diesel-powered (the US Army wanted to standardise on gasoline power) & the M4A4 because it was powered by a Chrysler multibank engine (5 gasoline truck engines grouped round a common crankshaft, very complex & difficult to maintain), so they reserved the 2 types for Lend-Lease stock. Other recipients of the M4A2 were the US Marine Corps & Soviet Red Army.
I'd also say the photo was taken in either North Africa (most likely Tunisia) or Italy, judging from the scenery & the camouflage painting of the tank.

M4A4 Sherman, with a 75mm gun, the welded slab sided and lengthened hull gives it away. It could also be the M4A6 but it looks like a slab glacis plate not a cast (rounded) one.

Judging by the British-style stowage on the back decks, I'd say it is more than likely an M4A2 Sherman (Sherman III in UK nomenclature). This is also evidenced by the angle of the hull rear plate. UK/Commonwealth forces were supplied mostly with the M4A2 & M4A4 Sherman by the USA - this was because the US Army disliked both types, the M4A2 because it was diesel-powered (the US Army wanted to standardise on gasoline power) & the M4A4 because it was powered by a Chrysler multibank engine (5 gasoline truck engines grouped round a common crankshaft, very complex & difficult to maintain), so they reserved the 2 types for Lend-Lease stock. Other recipients of the M4A2 were the US Marine Corps & Soviet Red Army.
I'd also say the photo was taken in either North Africa (most likely Tunisia) or Italy, judging from the scenery & the camouflage painting of the tank.
I should think the Brits were chuffed to bits to be using the Diesel variant - assuming it to be less flammable than the gasoline edition !!

As an aside - I had a Civil Servant colleague once, who once quoted to me the total annual production of Shermans in the USA in WW2, and told me that they stopped making them in (IIRC) 1943 "When they figured they had enough to see them through the war". He hadn't got the book with him, so I never got the chance to check his recall of the facts.

Any Sherman-Spotters out there in the know?

The fuel had nothing to do with the Shermans flammability, it was 100% the fault of the ammunition storage arrangements.
All above the track line with most of it in the side sponsons.

As an aside - I had a Civil Servant colleague once, who once quoted to me the total annual production of Shermans in the USA in WW2, and told me that they stopped making them in (IIRC) 1943 "When they figured they had enough to see them through the war". He hadn't got the book with him, so I never got the chance to check his recall of the facts.

Any Sherman-Spotters out there in the know?
According to the book by Peter Chamberlain & Chris Ellis, total production of all marks was 31,727.
The most produced model was the M4A2 (8053) followed closely be the M4A4 (7499)
The least produced was the M4A5 (nil)

And M4A6 were being produced up till Feb 1944

Only a few diesel Shermans wee used by the British Army and, I think, all in Italy. The Russkies used most of them 'cos they like diesel engines in tanks.