Anyone identify this?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by the_wolf, Jun 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For some reason I had never noticed this before and I'm quite intrigued as to what it actually is. It's on the wall of an old armoury so I thought maybe a retro vibration detector but it doesn't seem to have any wires coming from it.

One photo is with the cover on and the other is a close up of the internals.

Sent from my electronic brick

Attached Files:

2. It may be a Public Address Loudspeaker.

can you tell us which town or base this is on? Was it RN or Army?
  3. It's some sort of pressure release valve, with what could be a built in alarm system.
  4. Looks like an electric bell.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It's a civvy armoury now, but I believe it used to be army. I doubt very much it would be a loudspeaker, its in a small rather confined room.

PA - at the bottom of the internals there is a small bent piece of metal which rests very lightly on a wire, that's why I thought maybe an old style vibration detector. Doesn't look like a pressure release thingymabob but then I don't know much about that kind of thing.

6. A long shot...

Could it be some type of trembler switch?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I think it is a home made modification.
  8. Trust me. It's a pressure release valve, with a built in alarm. The springs keep the valve shut. In case of explosion the silver round plate in the middle gets blown open releasing the pressure to atmosphere, the traingular flat metal bit in the middle gets pulled out with it setting the alarm.

If you were to push the middle flat metal bit with your finger you'd see it open.

At 6 o'clock in the first photo you can see where they'd attach an air line to pressure the device for calibration.
  9. Ah good man, cheers for that :)

10. Don't worry about what it is now, just get on with nicking it and find out later.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. is it a dead otter detector?
    • Like Like x 1