Anyone identify this tank found rusting on Lesvos?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by Flaggie, Jul 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just come back from a glorious week on Lesvos. Sand, sea and ouzo.

But also a tank, obviously set up as a fixed gun, on the outskirts of Sigri, a village at the western tip of the island.

It's in a sort of pit, surrounded by wriggly tin, with a stone wall on two sides, leaving a clear field of fire over about 90 degrees, and it was obviously put there to make life unpleasant for anyone approaching the harbour.

Clearly been there a fair while. Engine and everything else removable long since removed.

Anyone any ideas what it could be?

01 Sigri tank overview.jpg
    04 Sigri tank from right.jpg
    02 Sigri tank numbers.jpg
    03 Sigri tank turret.jpg

Apologies for picture quality - pics taken on phone.
  2. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

M24 Chaffee
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I think it's an M24 Chaffee
  4. Yup, and somebody installed the gun mantlet upside-down, too.

Only kidding, it was cast vertically, I'm told. Built by Cadillac and Massey-Harris, it is a cute little tank that got slaughtered by the NORKs in the Korean War. Thereafter it was relegated to use as static artillery.

5. Isn't that the gun mantle rather than the turret ?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Greece had a number of surplus Chaffees and were still using them in front line service in the early 90s. Looking at the state of the paint this one hasn't been lying around for too long.
  7. Yes, you are 100% right. The word is mantlet, BTW. Deduct 10% for mis-spelling.

8. I've just found it on Google Earth.......I know a man who might want to 'relocate' it........

9. Im in the signals, you'r lucky I remembered that nugget of information.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Well, it's about 50 m from a harbour that would certainly take a ship that could carry the thing. Your man would just have to explore the maze of Greek bureaucracy to find out who can authorize the sale.

I wish him luck with that ;-)
  11. M-24 Chaffee Light Tank
    1X75mm M6 (same ammo as Sherman series) [Same gun used in the B-25G/H Mitchell Bombers]
    2X .30 M1919A4 Browning
    1X.50 M2HB Browning
    4X .45 M3 SMG, or 1X.SMG, 3X M1 Carbine

Light Tank M24 Chaffee

This one looks to have the silly 2" smoke mortar fitting replaced post war with an antenna mount for the AN/VRC-3
  12. Wonder if the Greeks are selling them off then? I know a few people who'd be interested.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Or write to the IMF/ECB/EU with a cheque.
  14. The opposite coast of Lesvos is only 10 km from Turkey, so this was probably meant to repel Johnny Turk rather than Jerry. The tank is sited next to the coastguard building and the remains of a Turkish-built fortress (from the days when the Turks ruled Lesbos). While we were there, a very naval-looking coastguard vessel docked, with some kind of armament under tarpaulins. Could imagine the Greeks are still smarting from the walkover that was the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.
  15. He could actually buy the Greek bureaucracy, so I guess that won't be too much of a problem. Looks like it's been dumped there - hardly a cherished war memorial, is it?

He might not even be that interested, but we'll see.

He got a few bits and pieces out of Libya a few years back. Formerly owned by Mr Rommel and the boys, y'know.