Anyone ID this parade ground?

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by ZRX61, Aug 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My mother thought it was Malta, 1919. Other have said it's not Malta...

Grandfather is in this photo somewhere.. along with 3 of his brothers as they were all in the same Regt.

Essex Regt, Pompadours, if that helps at all?

We know he was at Gallipoli, Palestine, Malta, India, Egypt. Probably other places as he was abroad with the Regt for 17 years.
  2. Stone Town (Zanzibar)?
  3. I have no idea, but it looks interesting. I wish I’d been there!
  4. Looks hot wherever it was.
  5. Do you have a bigger or more accurate scan?

To be honest, from the look of the temperate-issue uniforms, trees and buildings on the left - it looks like somewhere in UK.
  6. Portsmouth or North Camp?
  7. Though maybe Tiruchirapalli India but no palm trees, UK, somewhere at Warley? or Ireland?
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Deciduous trees, so unlikely to be Malta. High Victorian military architecture, presumably post Cardwell reforms. I'd plump for somewhere in the British Isles.

It's vaguely reminiscent of the lie of the land looking up at the old military hospital in Aldershot from the south side.

Look here in 25000:

Map of Aldershot, Hampshire[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf
  9. I know what you mean - it is very similar to the CMH and the bank it sits on. The detail is different, so it isn't the CMH. It does resemble places like Mons and Sandhurst, although the jumble of crappy buildings around the drill square make it look like the square is cleared land of some sort - a railway yard? - that just happens to be next to an imposing building, rather than part of it.

p.s. where was the Essex Regiment depot? That'd be the No1 candidate.
  10. Brotherton Lad

Assuming the reported date is right, 1919, then the older and tidier barracks would have seen all sorts of sheds etc put up during the Great War.

Essex depot at Warley Bks, Brentwood. Don't think it's this one, either.

11. Brotherton Lad

Attached Files:

12. Carter Bks, Bulford?
  13. Brotherton Lad

Carter was wooden huts.
  14. The old Louisberg Bks, Bordon?