Anyone ID this parade ground?

My mother thought it was Malta, 1919. Other have said it's not Malta...

Grandfather is in this photo somewhere.. along with 3 of his brothers as they were all in the same Regt.

Essex Regt, Pompadours, if that helps at all?

We know he was at Gallipoli, Palestine, Malta, India, Egypt. Probably other places as he was abroad with the Regt for 17 years.

I have no idea, but it looks interesting. I wish I’d been there!

Do you have a bigger or more accurate scan?

To be honest, from the look of the temperate-issue uniforms, trees and buildings on the left - it looks like somewhere in UK.

Portsmouth or North Camp?

Deciduous trees, so unlikely to be Malta. High Victorian military architecture, presumably post Cardwell reforms. I'd plump for somewhere in the British Isles.

It's vaguely reminiscent of the lie of the land looking up at the old military hospital in Aldershot from the south side.

Look here in 25000:

Map of Aldershot, Hampshire[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Deciduous trees, so unlikely to be Malta. High Victorian military architecture, presumably post Cardwell reforms. I'd plump for somewhere in the British Isles.

It's vaguely reminiscent of the lie of the land looking up at the old military hospital in Aldershot from the south side.

Look here in 25000:

Map of Aldershot, Hampshire[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf
I know what you mean - it is very similar to the CMH and the bank it sits on. The detail is different, so it isn't the CMH. It does resemble places like Mons and Sandhurst, although the jumble of crappy buildings around the drill square make it look like the square is cleared land of some sort - a railway yard? - that just happens to be next to an imposing building, rather than part of it.

p.s. where was the Essex Regiment depot? That'd be the No1 candidate.

Assuming the reported date is right, 1919, then the older and tidier barracks would have seen all sorts of sheds etc put up during the Great War.

Essex depot at Warley Bks, Brentwood. Don't think it's this one, either.

warley%20barracks.jpg

Carter Bks, Bulford?

Stripy stone, similar but not identical to New College.
The buildings do look too grand to be a conventional barracks, given the architectural detailing, and that they have three stories and almost full-height windows. They do look more like an academy or a hospital.

In the centre of the photo, just to the right of the crease, is that object a crane (on a railcar?) or a large artillery piece?

Chetwynd Bks in Nottingham? Again, its the slope that makes me think that. I appreciate that none of the buildings in the picture are there now, but 20th C rebuilding, air raids etc may have changed that.

The buildings do look too grand to be a conventional barracks, given the architectural detailing, and that they have three stories and almost full-height windows. They do look more like an academy or a hospital.

In the centre of the photo, just to the right of the crease, is that object a crane (on a railcar?) or a large artillery piece?
The big three storey building looks like the old RAC Centre accommodation at Bovington, although that's not where it is.

It looks like a crane with a curved roof, no sign of any railway, so either static or on a big flat-bed. There's possibly a second one at the right hand end and behind the troops.

I've taken a copy of the photo and blown it up to study. Being a bit of a biff, I haven't sussed how to post the blown up slices.

Above the crane in the distance the horizontal smudge is an equally large building.

And, just to throw another spanner in the works, the white building on the left appears to have about 4 cupolas on it in the Greek or Cypriot Orthodox style.

Is that light coloured part a river in the background?