Anyone ID this button?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Dukie94, Apr 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This button was found on the edge of Salisbury Plain (Heytesbury) and the finder is trying to ID it.

The only information is that it was made by Firmin & Sons at 47 Warwick Street, London sometime between 1879 and 1904.

Is it a button for a particular cap badge/unit?

If so, which one?

I know it is a long shot but was hoping someone could help.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Looks like a Prussian Eagle without the usual accoutrements and a Royal Navy badge with mailed fist and trident.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Please don't name the unit, guys.
    DIO will just tear their Regimental Museum a new one for littering the training estate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. They look like Royal Naval Division badges but the three relevant ones (Howe, Anson and I think Hood) never served in the same brigade.

See if your local library has got, or can get, a copy of Kipling and King.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Looks like a livery or hunt button to me.
    That gets some poor obsolete regiment off the hook for littering the area. The MOD archiologists still havn't dug my slit trenches yet, thank heavens!

6. Thanks for the very speedy replies.

All the information is very much appreciated.

It was assumed to be a military button owing to the location having been connected to extensive military activity for some considerable time.

7. The village of Heytesbury is a very ancient one. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Hestrebe.

8. That looks like a "Ducal Coronet", as opposed to a Crown. I'd go with the Hunt or Livery button.

It may be worth checking to see if there is a maker's name on the reverse and see if the company has any modern descendants and check their records?

9. Looks like a descendant company might be:
    [h=3]Contact Firmin & Sons Ltd[/h]
    Address:
    Firmin & Sons Limited
    Firmin House
    82-86 New Town Row
    Birmingham
    B6 4HU

10. I leaned towards that route and perhaps a family with a naval connection and came across the following- which may of course have nothing whatever to do with it !!

It refers to Capt Broke of HMS Shannon

A COMPLETE GUIDE TO HERALDRY by ARTHUR CHARLES FOX-DAVIES

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Broke's family seem to have been related to the Veres, who's crest is an eagle as on the left of the button, so you might be on to something.

13. I had a look at the Broke of HMS Shannon fame, and his equally impressive family. The arm holding the trident which Tawahi 50so diligently spotted sadly doesn't fit. The arm is outstretched on the coat of arms, unlike on the button where it is bent at the elbow.
    I think we are certainly onto it, well done chaps.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I must admit to being gobsmacked with how much interesting information you fellas have managed to come up with.

Kudos and thanks!