Anyone ID the ship in the video?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by AubreyGerrard, Feb 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was watching the History Channel program entitled Battleships. In it, they show a video I have seen many times, but I've never caught the name of the ship.

It's from WW2, great quality B&W footage, showing a burning warship capsizing. You can clearly see men climbing atop the hull of the doomed, overturned ship. She settles briefly, then is consumed in a huge explosion.

The History Channel flashed a quick caption, but all I was able to catch was that it was HMS ???, which had been torpedoed by a U-boat.

I've always wondered what ship she was, and how many souls were lost.

Any clues?
  2. Nevermind, mates. I found it amazingly fast. The internet is incredible.

Good bless 'em.

3. That's how the Barham went down. We used to have a civvi clerk who was Chief Yeoman on the Barham and had applied for a transfer. It was refused so he went on a run ashore, got pissed and missed her sailing. All his branch died when she went down, and he got a relatively light punishment because of it.
  4. It can be a bit annoying when such as the History Channel use that footage for other incidents, though. I've seen it used for the sinking of Hood and Prince of Wales/Repulse, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets dug out for others, too. I suppose it is a unique piece of film, though. Other instances of this sort of 'borrowing' of film to portray particular actions aren't unknown, and excusable in view of the lack of good footage. I think the only film I've ever seen of Howe (the WW2 KGV battleship) is a 5 or 10-second clip showing her in the Suez Canal.
  5. The Explosion of HMS Barham is a dramatic one.
  6. History/Discovery Channels are just careless and sloppy when they choose their film footage: at least one documentary talking about the Bismarck, illustrates it with footage of the Hood and QE1 battleships; theres another documentary about Stalingrad which seems to show British tommies invading Russia, etc, etc.
  7. Any suggetions as to why it suddenly expolded after slowly rolling on it's side. Magazine or boilers are the only reasons I can think of, it's the time delay that's bothering me.
    I saw a program on the Hood and it was suggested that a 'Thermic Flash' traveled from some expolsive in the open area inside a turret though the ship to the main magazine.
  8. The explosion was caused by seawater russing down her funnels into the fireboxes that heated the boilers. Hood was sunk by a direct hit on her magazine, by a plunging shell, the deck armour being almost non existant compared to the belt armour.
  9. The Barham footage is certainly dramatic and unique, yet as previous posters have stated, it's uniqueness has been devalued and has been used in many other unrelated war documentaries, particularly by the History Channel.
    I have complained to HC in the past regarding the misuse of footage, which to a spotter like me is really annoying. I watched a programme on Arnhem 3 years ago which showed (with a voice over: "Dakotas dropped troops into withering fire from German ground troops") a grainy, sepia tinted Hercules dropping troops. Probably taken at the 50th Anniversary drop in '94 but dressed up to be "actual" footage.
    Also - Jap Zero fighters being shot down in the Marianas but billed as Battle of Britain scenes, as well as The Taranto Raid being documented with footage of the Tall Boy Raid against the Tirpitz.
    Yes, I need to get a life!
    Mentioned all this to the Imperial War Museum, but their reply was "we have no editorial function on programmes which use our footage".
    Ahh, take money, run. So that's alright then.

Edited/Red Inked for clarity or something
  10. Yes a boiler explosion sound most likely. Having started my time in a Loco factory I understand how dangerous superheated steam can be.
    A National Geographic prog on the Bismark- Hood showed how the Hood had been torn into three large pieces and 'scattered' these massive sections on the sea bed. To the best of my memory and I stand to be corrected, the Hood split
    Bow to a Forward Magazine.
    A main centre section from aft of Fwd Magazines/Turrets to a Rear Magazines/Turrets area.
    An aft section from area of rear Magazines/Turrets to stern.
    There was a sugestion by an 'Expert' That a Flash from Front Magazine traveled length of ship to aft magazine, giveing the two monsterous expolosions that tore the ship appart.
    Memory also says that one of the survivors/witness claimed two major explosions.