Anyone ID the Regiment from the uniform?

But, and I admit this is a really long shot, there may just be a match already out there:

Image result for London Irish Rifles football team

Note the resemblance of the man seated in the middle row, 2nd left - named as (I think) Cpl Corben. From a cursory search, his full name was Thomas W Corben. Cpl Corben had two service numbers assigned in 2014; 590882 and subsequently 2643 (was he a re-enlisted regular?). Corben promoted LCpl in 1915, was a Cpl by the time this photograph was taken and he appears to have survived the war.
It's difficult to tell, but given the width of the forehead when compared to the OP's photograph, I'd have opted for the bloke in the light shirt in the middle of the back row (Rfn Weeks?).

In 1917 all members of the TF who had enlisted between 1909 and 1917 got a new regimental number. The reasoning escapes me currently. When looking at records you will quite often see two numbers listed for one soldier. It was applied to anyone who wasn't formally listed as being killed, died, etc. For instance, my great-great uncle enlisted into the 1/5 Londons (LRB) in 1914 but was posted 'missing' after Gommecourt on 1 Jul 16. He therefore posthumously received a new number and both are listed on his inscription on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Thanks for this, although according to his record, Corben was assigned both Service numbers in 1914. This fits with his being switched from the Territorial Force to the Service Battalion in the first days of the War.

In 1917 all members of the TF who had enlisted between 1909 and 1917 got a new regimental number. The reasoning escapes me currently. When looking at records you will quite often see two numbers listed for one soldier. It was applied to anyone who wasn't formally listed as being killed, died, etc. For instance, my great-great uncle enlisted into the 1/5 Londons (LRB) in 1914 but was posted 'missing' after Gommecourt on 1 Jul 16. He therefore posthumously received a new number and both are listed on his inscription on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Use the first link in post #150 by @slick and you may well find the explanation

Use the first link in post #150 by @slick and you may well find the explanation
Ta, I'll have a look in a bit.

I found this too on 'The Long, Long Trail', which gives more information and context.:

Renumbering the TF in 1917

Interestingly, my great, great uncle received a new number in 1917 having been posted as 'missing' following the assault on Gommecourt on 1 Jul 16. Both numbers appear on his inscription on the Thiepval Memorial.

It's difficult to tell, but given the width of the forehead when compared to the OP's photograph, I'd have opted for the bloke in the light shirt in the middle of the back row (Rfn Weeks?).
With a bit more research, I think we can discard anyone in the photo, sadly. Counting along the row again, the man in the light shirt is a Sgt Peake. Corben is the swarthy older man to his left. Moreover, one of the Griffiths (brothers?) in the picture was probably killed in May 1915 and Weeks died in October 1915 at Loos as a L/Cpl. This would almost certainly place the football photograph in the winter of 1914/15 at the latest. Peake would already be too senior to be the man in the portrait.

But, I think it is still safe-ish to say that the portrait is of a pre-war enlisted NCO, probably from the London Irish Rifles, photographed on the eve of his deployment to France, possibly in March 1915. The Association may be able to narrow it down further...

Interestingly, my great, great uncle received a new number in 1917 having been posted as 'missing' following the assault on Gommecourt on 1 Jul 16. Both numbers appear on his inscription on the Thiepval Memorial.
Similar story around the last named man on our local memorial to die as a result of the Great War. Went missing (taken as PoW, but presumed dead) on Day 1 of Op MICHAEL, forced labour in Germany; mineshaft collapse; broken back; repatriated 1919 as a paraplegic, to family's mixed emotions, I'd guess, and died later in that year.

amapola

Old-Salt
With a bit more research, I think we can discard anyone in the photo, sadly. Counting along the row again, the man in the light shirt is a Sgt Peake. Corben is the swarthy older man to his left. Moreover, one of the Griffiths (brothers?) in the picture was probably killed in May 1915 and Weeks died in October 1915 at Loos as a L/Cpl. This would almost certainly place the football photograph in the winter of 1914/15 at the latest. Peake would already be too senior to be the man in the portrait.

But, I think it is still safe-ish to say that the portrait is of a pre-war enlisted NCO, probably from the London Irish Rifles, photographed on the eve of his deployment to France, possibly in March 1915. The Association may be able to narrow it down further...
I think you might be misreading the naming in the photo - the seated row starts with Miller then Crawford, Brown, Kimmitt (?), Beresford etc. Unfortunately I don't think that helps though!

I think you might be misreading the naming in the photo - the seated row starts with Miller then Crawford, Brown, Kimmitt (?), Beresford etc. Unfortunately I don't think that helps though!
Yep, you're right - thanks! Need to do more work on sporting photos. But agree, doesn't alter the logic, as none of those marked as Corporals or Lance Corporals resemble the sitter, and the one who does, Weeks, died when still a LCpl. The only other remote possibility, reading the photo correctly and in context, is LCpl Tilley....

1571218829266.png

Here is a slightly clearer version of the same team photo - Tilley is third from left as we look at it, back row. But, again from a quick look at records, Tilley may have been reduced in rank sometime between this picture and 1916, when a Rfn Tilley won the DCM. He appears to have survived the war, but was not promoted beyond LCpl as far as I can see, so again, not our chap....

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'll chase her about getting it out. If needs be I'll pop over to her house one night and help her strip it and send on the photographs.
That's more or less how I offered to help in #071.

Did @MrBane follow through with his kind offer to strip and photo the offending item?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Did @MrBane follow through with his kind offer to strip and photo the offending item?
Just waiting out on her getting back to me, there'll probably be a fair delay in any progress but I'll post as soon as I get anything.

Just waiting out on her getting back to me, there'll probably be a fair delay in any progress but I'll post as soon as I get anything.
Any update yet? With your DIY skills and knife, fork and spoon toolkit I'm sure you could part the frame from it's back with nothing more serious than total destruction.

Any update yet? With your DIY skills and knife, fork and spoon toolkit I'm sure you could part the frame from it's back with nothing more serious than total destruction.
Better yet, use his cop skills to burgle her house and nick it. we need to hurry this along.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Better yet, use his cop skills to burgle her house and nick it. we need to hurry this along.
If they match his skills at well everything really, I expect to hear news of the start of Armageddon in Scotland any minute now.

ugly

LE
as long as they're the ones investigating the break in it'll all go swimmingly
Nah they’ll just fit up the first bloke in the nominal roll

edited to calm down stonker as the sh1tty I phone uses predictive shite

Last edited:

Latest Threads