Anyone ID the Regiment from the uniform?

Slime

LE
I honestly don't see the problem with removing the piccie. That brittle backing paper will have to go anyway, but the rest is really a five-minute (or less) job. The only possible difficulty could be the sprigs holding in the glass, mount and piccie. They might be rusty and need a bit of gentle persuasion. The frame itself is also brittle at the mitres (see the top right mitre in your piccie) due to the hoof-glue used at the time. All in all, demounting, cleaning, repairing and properly reframing is a 30-minute job. If you need any instruction, let me know.

MsG
How did this post get a ‘dumb’ ?

Let’s all try to help get this sorted :)

Mentioning things like brittle backing paper is a helpful thing

Has anyone noticed the badge on the left shoulder as you look at the picture. That will clear some things up as well as what's on the button which could be the standard GS cypher or a regimental badge.
I assume you mean the shoulder title, as described at post 61 above.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
RHQ Royal Hampshires was in Searle House, Lower Barracks Winchester. Went there once for a regimental interview with a very formidable Brigadier Warren - went elsewhere.

I missed that, hopefully when the pic is out the frame we'll get a better idea. The reflection on the glass isn't helping.
If you have an Android phone, Google have a photo feature that removes glare...

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
totally agree, its almost a natiuonal resource, and some historians could not match it.
Again, I agree with you there, mo chara! How often has some person rocked up with a totally strange and unusual question about, for instance, (and I'm ad-libbing here): what did Nelson and his cronies use to polish the barrels of their cannons? Or, did Napoleon roll his own smokes or did he delegate the responsibility to his aide-de-camp? Did Rommel have his favourite wine flown into North Africa, or was he content with the local gut-rot? Did Korsenzy pick up a carton of Cuban cigars when he spirited Mussolini out of his chokey?

The range of rare, unusual, strange, uncommon, eccentric and unexpected questions over the years has been nothing short of extraordinary, but even more extraordinary was/has been the fact that some ARRSEr presently pipes up with a "guesstimate", which then throws the whole truly impressive and quite formidable ARRSE "information centre" into motion. It's absolutely fückin' amazing! I can never get enough of it!

MsG

Thank you for your kind advice.
But before I go, you do realise why I posted that word don't you?
Yes, because you have more military knowledge than Redshift (just).

BlackDyke

War Hero
Yes, because you have more military knowledge than Redshift (just).
It was a mere correction, why all the hostility and angst?
You seem to be a really angry person.
Tell me, how do you know about what I know and what I don't know?
I know that Skorzeny isn't spelt Korsenzy for example.

It was a mere correction, why all the hostility and angst?
You seem to be a really angry person.
Tell me, how do you know about what I know and what I don't know?
I know that Skorzeny isn't spelt Korsenzy for example.
Ok, I'm considering revising my opinion; you seem to crayon like Redshift, but I'll give you that as you joined 4 years ago and I reckon it has no ability to pre-plan, you're probably not one of its sock puppets.

Last edited:

BlackDyke

War Hero
Ok, I'm considering revising my opinion; you see to crayon like Redshift, but I'll give you that as you joined 4 years ago and I reckon it has no ability to pre-plan, you're probably not one of its sock puppets.
I'm not anybody's sock puppet and you will notice that I avoided any direct criticism or insults toward Bugsy in what was just a small mistake as I presume he was posting from memory, many others would have just ripped in at him.
I'm still a bit baffled at your reaction but I suppose that is to be expected around this site at the moment.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Skorzeny.
Well, thanks for that, mush! I apologise for using a wrong spelling and obviously confusing you to such an extent that your whole understanding of the history of the last, at least, 200 years started to wobble. I recommend a good therapist.

And now we're getting back off the subject! As if it isn't enough that the usual ARRSE gobshites are attempting to derail the thread for their own ends, we also have doobies like your man there desperately hoping for 15 minutes of fame by "exposing" a wrong spelling.

MsG

BlackDyke

War Hero
Well, thanks for that, mush! I apologise for using a wrong spelling and obviously confusing you to such an extent that your whole understanding of the history of the last, at least, 200 years started to wobble. I recommend a good therapist.

And now we're getting back off the subject! As if it isn't enough that the usual ARRSE gobshites are attempting to derail the thread for their own ends, we also have doobies like your man there desperately hoping for 15 minutes of fame by "exposing" a wrong spelling.

MsG
Don't worry Bugs, I assumed that you were posting from memory and the fact that I didn't quote you was to avoid accusations of ad hom.
I am sorry you feel sore about it and I am sure I would have been grateful for having the mistake pointed out to me.

You will notice that I have not descended to the usual Bugsy bashing type behaviour for all the good it has done me.

I'm not anybody's sock puppet and you will notice that I avoided any direct criticism or insults toward Bugsy in what was just a small mistake as I presume he was posting from memory, many others would have just ripped in at him.
I'm still a bit baffled at your reaction but I suppose that is to be expected around this site at the moment.
Ok, I now have the context; you hadn't quoted the poster you were correcting, and I'd read everything in the thread prior to your post when it came up as new. Apologies for associating you with our crayoner in chief, Redshift, but as this thread hasn't mentioned food, cricket, Kiwi women or US gun laws (before now), it seems to have escaped its gaze.

BlackDyke

War Hero
Ok, I now have the context; you hadn't quoted the poster you were correcting, and I'd read everything in the thread prior to your post when it came up as new. Apologies for associating you with our crayoned in chief, Redshift, but as this thread hasn't mentioned food, cricket, Kiwi women or US gun laws (before now), it seems to have escaped its gaze.
Thank you, it has been a good and interesting thread so far in the great tradition of this site.
Fascinating to watch in real time.
Seems like my good manners were wasted on @DaManBugs though.

Apologies for the OT.

NB : I was a member previously but let my old account lapse hence this newer one, I have been around and about since approx 2006.

Latest Threads