Anyone ID the Regiment from the uniform?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To me, the width of the harp on the button appears to be too great for Royal Irish Regt. E2A: now that you've mentioned it, I can believe there's an 'S' on the shoulder title, so quite plausibly as you've said, 'RISH'.

Image result for royal irish regiment ww1

Image result for royal irish rifles ww1
I agree the angle is closer to RIR but from the clearest button pic I think the ribbon appears to have three parts, and the harp strings appear not to be cut off diagonally by a wing. That's more consistent with Royal Irish I think. I also wouldnt expect the RIR to have a shoulder title ending in 'Irish' or light chevrons.

Once he gets it out the frame we'll probably discover we're all miles off and it's the Gibraltar Regiment, but still.

I agree the angle is closer to RIR but from the clearest button pic I think the ribbon appears to have three parts, and the harp strings appear not to be cut off diagonally by a wing. That's more consistent with Royal Irish I think. I also wouldnt expect the RIR to have a shoulder title ending in 'Irish' or light chevrons.
Another possibility, the London Irish Rifles?

Image result for london irish rifles ww1

Image result for london irish rifles ww1 shoulder titles

Or another variation on the harp theme, the Tyneside Irish battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers, though by the metal shoulder titles below, it would appear that they would not have sported 'IRISH' as per the photo.

Image result for tyneside irish

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The middle photograph certainly looks like a harp to me. Royal Irish Rifles?
Yeah, definately more Harp like, the the top button is a lot clearer, looks like I is wrong

tgo

Old-Salt
If you get it out of the frame, try and get it on a flat bed scanner (most all in one printers can do this A4 size) and scan as high res as you can get it, that'll show a lot more detail.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
And that's what makes ARRSE so great. It's just the breathtakingly formidable amount of in-depth and remarkably detailed knowledge that can come together to solve a particular "problem" like this one. And all on a completely voluntary basis.

MsG
I totally agree, its almost a natiuonal resource, and some historians could not match it.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nope, not in this thread - all related posts from when it went to the usual fuckery deleted from public view.

Let's keep this on track please - personal spats and love feuds can go elsewhere. :D

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Nope, not in this thread - all related posts from when it went to the usual fuckery deleted from public view.

Let's keep this on track please - personal spats and love feuds can go elsewhere. :D
Thank you very much, Mr Bane!

MsG

If you get it out of the frame, try and get it on a flat bed scanner (most all in one printers can do this A4 size) and scan as high res as you can get it, that'll show a lot more detail.
Sort of hoping that once out of the frame, a name & regiment will be found on the back of the photograph.

If the Winchester photographer went to Peninsula Barracks to take a number of such photographs, he may well have ID'd each one thusly. It would also facilitate distribution to the pictured individuals by the CO/adjutant/RSM/OC on a battalion/company parade.

Once that detail is revealed, hopefully, @FourZeroCharlie will be kind enough to tell us all he can about the man's life, service and death.

Don't suppose it'll be that simple though.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sort of hoping that once out of the frame, a name & regiment will be found on the back of the photograph.

If the Winchester photographer went to Peninsula Barracks to take a number of such photographs, he may well have ID'd each one thusly. It would also facilitate distribution to the pictured individuals by the CO/adjutant/RSM/OC on a battalion/company parade.

Once that detail is revealed, hopefully, @FourZeroCharlie will be kind enough to tell us all he can about the man's life, service and death.

Don't suppose it'll be that simple though.
It will take her a while to get the picture out, but will update, she sends her sincere thanks for all your help but for obvious reasons, I'll not be linking her* to this thread / forum / festering corner of the internet! She's going to head down to the library tomorrow to see what she can dig up.

*Nor posting her booby pics.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It will take her a while to get the picture out, but will update, she sends her sincere thanks for all your help but for obvious reasons, I'll not be linking her* to this thread / forum / festering corner of the internet! She's going to head down to the library tomorrow to see what she can dig up.

*Nor posting her booby pics.
I'll look after her and help her get it out.
If it's too tight I'm sure I can remedy that, she'll be chuffed with the result.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
If she can, she's going to open it up at the back and get the picture out for more detail.

It's not a small thing though!

View attachment 422473
I honestly don't see the problem with removing the piccie. That brittle backing paper will have to go anyway, but the rest is really a five-minute (or less) job. The only possible difficulty could be the sprigs holding in the glass, mount and piccie. They might be rusty and need a bit of gentle persuasion. The frame itself is also brittle at the mitres (see the top right mitre in your piccie) due to the hoof-glue used at the time. All in all, demounting, cleaning, repairing and properly reframing is a 30-minute job. If you need any instruction, let me know.

MsG

ugly

LE
Moved to a more suitable forum

Has anyone noticed the badge on the left shoulder as you look at the picture. That will clear some things up as well as what's on the button which could be the standard GS cypher or a regimental badge.
The back of the piccie is also worth looking at as the answer might well be scribed on it.

Latest Threads