Anyone ID the Regiment from the uniform?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Highly unlikely as all you've got is a corner of the name on the right shoulder, but for a friend trying to trace some details..she found the pic in a bottom of an antique store and felt it deserved better, so she's bought it and brought him home, the tart.

Name of A Rapp, may be him or the photographer.

WW1 era.

Cheers!

IMG-20191012-WA0022.jpg

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Would we say that's a bugle on the buttons?

post-599-0-40178100-1317947404.jpg

Just been updated, First World War. Cheers folks.
.... I think early on in WW1 .... he has reinforced shoulders on the jacket ... two layers of material ... I believe as an economy this was later discontinued .

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Eh? bollox to that!

Give me a name and (ideally) a DOB, and it'll be done in a trice*.

*'trice', however, is an indeterminate point of time. For the purposes of this exercise, I'll decide what a trice is.
Actually, plot thickens and I've misunderstood my friend as I'm a mong.

She was in an antique / junk store and found this abandoned at the bottom of a box and didn't feel like it belonged there, so she's bought it and brought it home.

She's found a name of A Rapp on it, whether or not that's the soldier or the photographer, no idea.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Definitely a bugle but there's a boatload of Regts it could be from that period, going out on a limb but I think from the button it might be KRRC

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We've got a year now, 1917.

@Helm Looks like the name is the photographer, Adolphe Rapp based in Southampton. Does the area give any steps for a hint?

Actually, plot thickens and I've misunderstood my friend as I'm a mong.

She was in an antique / junk store and found this abandoned at the bottom of a box and didn't feel like it belonged there, so she's bought it and brought it home.

She's found a name of A Rapp on it, whether or not that's the soldier or the photographer, no idea.
You have got to be kidding me!

You're just making this crap up. Aren't you.

. . . 'Kay, 'Kay - I'll give it a go.

BTW, it was often the case that an inscription ('To Mother, Love John') or some such was inscribed on the back of the image, but it'll have to be removed from the frame.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You have got to be kidding me!

You're just making this crap up. Aren't you.

. . . 'Kay, 'Kay - I'll give it a go.

BTW, it was often the case that an inscription ('To Mother, Love John') or some such was inscribed on the back of the image, but it'll have to be removed from the frame.
Nah, not at all. It's actually one of the nicest things I've ever heard of someone doing. It's a work colleague, and she's a soft touch for soldier stuff and felt he didn't belong in the bottom of a box in a dusty old shop.

I've asked her to take it out the frame. What's betting on the back there's full details and this was for nothing? :D

Anyway, it's a Saturday night and you can only spend so long on Xhamster!

Nah, not at all. It's actually one of the nicest things I've ever heard of someone doing. It's a work colleague, and she's a soft touch for soldier stuff and felt he didn't belong in the bottom of a box in a dusty old shop.

I've asked her to take it out the frame. What's betting on the back there's full details and this was for nothing? :D

Anyway, it's a Saturday night and you can only spend so long on Xhamster!
That's mean.

Just plain mean, man . . .

. . . anyhoo, only 6 Rapp recorded on CWGC as having died in WWI (and one of them was a German!).

The medal Rolls and MICs are coming up a blank also: 17 men with the surname 'Rapp' are listed and not one with the initial 'A' for a forename.

. . . though there is one delightful character named Bernard Marseille Rapp.

Unless your friend can come up with something else, I think this one has reached a dead end, chap.

Which is very irritating . . .

Latest Threads