Anyone here from the 266 (commando) artillery in bristol?

#1
I'm gonna be coming in on next tuesday night to have a look around and hopefully get some more information about the regiments training and deployment.

Where do I find the guy to talk to about it? I've never even been there before so I'll be busy trying to find the entrance probably heh.

In terms of TA units this one sounds like a bloody professional one, I mean para AND commando training? I didn't even know that existed in the TA.

Talking of para training, is it absolutely mandatory? or is the regiment becoming fully commando like I've heard? reason I ask is because at the moment I find the thought of parachuting daunting...*crys like a girl*

cheers
 
#2
Talking of para training, is it absolutely mandatory? or is the regiment becoming fully commando like I've heard? reason I ask is because at the moment I find the thought of parachuting daunting...*crys like a girl*
Surely if you're willing to get shot at some day you'll throw yourself out of a plane?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight."
General James Gavin
 
#3
True, I guess its always best to confront your "fears". And what better way then to jump out head first out of a moving heli? heh. Plus I guess with the training it will seem MUCH less daunting.

Edit : Still looking for someone who knows the ins and outs of the unit
 
#4
Neil.Larsen said:
I'm gonna be coming in on next tuesday night to have a look around and hopefully get some more information about the regiments training and deployment.

Where do I find the guy to talk to about it? I've never even been there before so I'll be busy trying to find the entrance probably heh.

In terms of TA units this one sounds like a bloody professional one, I mean para AND commando training? I didn't even know that existed in the TA.

Talking of para training, is it absolutely mandatory? or is the regiment becoming fully commando like I've heard? reason I ask is because at the moment I find the thought of parachuting daunting...*crys like a girl*

cheers
Does that mean they wear a beret that's half Maroon and half Green? 8O :twisted:

Oh, how kind of you to call a taxi for me... :oops:
 
#5
Yes mate, I went down there and had a look round but I dont think it's the unit for me.

Whilst I was there, I saw a guy gazing at a picture of the queeen in the drill hall. I asked him what he was doiing and he said, he was practicing his 1000 mile stare.

During the kit demonstration talk by one of the corporals, I nipped out to the loo and found one of the guys I recognosed from earlier who I'd talked too about different trades available. He had a cloth over his face and kept putting his head under the tap and turning it on. I asked him what he was doing and he said that cos he was para and commando trained (266 main role), his tour in afghanistan and would be spent so deep under cover that if he got detained by U.S forces, he wouldn't be able to tell them he was in the British Army and therefore needed to practice resistance to water boarding incase he got taken to Guantanamo Bay.

Finally, after the tea break we had a talk on survival training by an older guy who said he was the CO and had spent three years in hEREFORD but didn't like to talk about it but I managed to take a sneaky pic on my phone.
 

Attachments

#7
Fecks sake if you're not interested in Parachuting why bother with a Unit that Parachutes.
 
#8
wow I've offended you?

What I was saying is if it WAS mandatory because I heard the unit is commando now, sure, parachuting for the first time will be scary ( are you gonna deny that?) but so is getting deployed for the first time.

I tell ya, if I DID do the parachuting course it'd be yet anothre thing to be proud of, thats why I'm joining the army, self discipline + something to be proud of
 
#9
Neil.Larsen said:
wow I've offended you?

What I was saying is if it WAS mandatory because I heard the unit is commando now, sure, parachuting for the first time will be scary ( are you gonna deny that?) but so is getting deployed for the first time.

I tell ya, if I DID do the parachuting course it'd be yet anothre thing to be proud of, thats why I'm joining the army, self discipline + something to be proud of
No you haven't offended me at all but if you ever get a Green Lid post a photo and I'll eat my bastard. :twisted:
 
#11
If I told you being a para was not really about parachuting and being a RM was not simply about abseiling,would you have any idea of what I was talking about?
:D
 
#12
Neil.Larsen said:
Sorry who are you and what have you done that makes you think you know everyones capability from an internet forum?
I'm an Ex Royal Marine. Nuff said?
I'm sorry, I didn't realise that ARSSE was t'internet arm of the AFCO and that members must support and nurture numpties, I will mend my ways and join a Potential Recruits Support Group forthwith.
The mere fact that you're on here asking bone questions instead of doing something provides me with all the evidence I need to demonstrate that you will probably do no more than look wistfully at the building the Unit parades in and turn away with a sigh.
Good luck.
 
#13
Sort your gf issues out first eh, NEil?
 
#14
Pitswamper said:
I'm an Ex Royal Marine. Nuff said?
I'm sorry, I didn't realise that ARSSE was t'internet arm of the AFCO and that members must support and nurture numpties, I will mend my ways and join a Potential Recruits Support Group forthwith.
The mere fact that you're on here asking bone questions instead of doing something provides me with all the evidence I need to demonstrate that you will probably do no more than look wistfully at the building the Unit parades in and turn away with a sigh.
Good luck.
Sure sure, but with all due respect mate I've come on here to ask a few questions, now I admit that I could of just asked the unit itself when I contacted them on monday but I would of liked to ask other questions about the unit and the recruits opinions etc on here as well.

Anyway, I'm actually looking bloody forward to tuesday and seeing the unit and I hope it feels right for me, I'm not gonna take a look at the building and just backdown. This is something I've wanted to do for a while
 
#15
Actually looking at the building, it is a 1920s horror movie school of architecture sort of thing...
 
#16
Neil 266 are Tasked as support to 29 Commando battery. You will have to do the recruits phase 1a, 1b and CMSR initially. Then you will have to do your Mod 1 and 2 guns. You can then opt to go for Commando training. If you are succesful on the RFAACC you are eligible to apply for your wings course. Neither course is compulsory.
 
#18
I am a recruit at 266 and agree with most of what the destroyer has said. Recruit training seems to be forgetten about/ignored and we don't do much, mostly pt and cleaning guns. At first I thought it was jsut how the Ta is but recruts from other units don't appear to have this problem and progress much faster. They never seem to get any training weekends for recruits either.

I agree that 266 is strugling at the moment and is no longer the great and professional unit I was told that it was however I think the PSIs are nice guys.

I also havent noticed a problem with female recruits doing what they want. A few of them don't give it their all in phys but I don't recall any of them avoiding it. As far as I am aware they have only 'sloped off to the clerk' to get some admin sorted not to avoid work.

I would also suggest that Neil joins a different unit if he dosnt want to remain a recruit who has done bugger all in a years time. I am thinking of transferrring to a different unit myself.
 
#20
Streaky I don't need to know who you are pal, but you have to agree the recruits have had very little input from the 29 PSI's. They are good guys but that doesn't lessen the fact that they should be more actively involved in the training of the unit as a whole. They are after all the unit Permanent Staff Instructors.

Perhaps i should have been a little more specific and said that it is mainly one female individual, who slopes. And this individual sometimes drags others along. There are of cause some very good female's in the unit and they will make good soldiers but one in particular is fluttering her eye lids to get out of stuff and curry favour with senior ranks, and it works!

For me if you are a recruit then we should all work together full stop.

I am really disappointed at the lack of support given to recruits in 266, particularly as I know with a little bit of effort things could be different. i was there for sometime and there wasn't one in house training weekend for recruits. The one weekend we were supposed to do with 29 got cancelled at the last minute. (I took the weekend off for that)

The sad thing is that the recruiting team are really good guys and make you want to be part of the gang, but the training for recruits is poor and my time is valuable hence why I left.

If you are thinking about leaving then try the RMR, things are 20 times better organised.
 

Similar threads


Top