Anyone here from Stalag XXM, Kreis Bromberg?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bazzo, May 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen
    Going through some old photo’s from my Dad, I came across one with 3 lads in Stalag XXM Kreis Bromberg, Poland. The names on the back being:
    Sgt Percy G: Saing (Black Watch (R.H.R)
    Gnr George Roy Lewis (Royal Artillery)
    Pte Joseph Scuffham (?) M.M. (Green Howards)
    Sorry no idea when it could have been.

If anybody thinks they know them, I’ll be glad to send them a copy of the photo.

2. Joe died in 2003. Here is a link to the Green Howards obit site, and his actual obit. I have posted it without permission but in this instance I'm sure the Regimental Secretary won't mind. I knew Joe for many years and he never told me he had an MM.

http://www.greenhowards.org.uk/oldsite/html-files/obituaries/obituaries-past-s.htm#privatejascuffham

Private J A Scuffham, MM

It is with great sadness that we report the death of Joe Scuffham MM on 26th April 2003. The village of Skelton paid its respects to Joe Scuffham on 1st May 2003 when he was laid to rest in Skelton cemetery. Friends and relatives turned out to pay their respects as eleven standard bearers from the Royal British Legion and Green Howards Association Branches formed a guard of honour at the church and cemetery.

Born in 1919, Joe started work aged 14 years in the blacksmith's shop at Park Pit ironstone mine. He joined the 4th Battalion in 1936 and trained in the Cotswolds before being sent to France with theBritish Expeditionary Force in January 1940. Joe was a despatch rider during the 150th Brigade withdrawal towards the French border from the River Dendre in Belgium in May 1940 and the subsequent retreat to Dunkirk. According to 'The Story of The Green Howards 1939-45' during these terrible two weeks, when civilian refugees and marching soldiers were cluttering the roads towards the channel coasts: "The task of the despatch riders was a difficult and dangerous one under the conditions which prevailed and Private J A Scuffham was continually employed carrying messages along roads which were under shell and small arms fire. He never faltered in his duties, and his spirit and carefree riding were an example to all who saw him. He was awarded the Military Medal." Joe Scuffham never realised he had been awarded the MM, because he was taken prisoner by the Germans on 23rd May. Following a week's march and then a four-day train journey he spent the next five years in a POW Camp (Stalag XXa) at Thorun in Poland.

Joe went on to try a number of escapes but with no success and was handed over to the Gestapo on one occasion. He was interrogated by a German officer who, before the war, had been a representative for a German steel company and had visited Dorman Long at Redcar. He was well known for his fiddle playing and claimed that he once played for Goebbles on a visit to his POW Camp. It was after this that he learned that he had won the Military Medal, one of the first such medals in WWII. Joe was also on the 'long march' of 1300 to 1400 miles over three to four months away from the Russian advance. On his return to England he was not invited to Buckingham Palace, but received the MM with a letter from King George VI by post.

After the war Joe returned to Park Pit before going on to work as a crane driver at the steel works in Middlesbrough. Joe was a member of both Guisborough and Loftus Branches and also the British Army Association at Liverton. Our condolences to his wife and family.

3. Hallo Mushroom
    Thanks very much, I’m sorry I’m so late getting back to you but I didn’t realize until recently that you replied and then I couldn’t find the photo.
    Anyway it seems that the 3 were buddies of a good family friend, Peter Wischert.
    That’s him in the second photo 2nd from the right on the back row.
    Mushroom if you still have contact with the Joe’s family please let them know.

Mike

Attached Files: