Anyone help with Appreciations

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by IS Ski Geek, Feb 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Looking for any help that would help with carrying out appreciations.

Have to do some soon and never had to actually do one before.

Any information on where to start etc. would be greatly appreciatied.
  2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Time for me to be all doctrinally pure..... not something that happens much!

First thing is that the term 'appreciation' was buried in the early-mid 90s and replaced by 'The Estimate.'

I assume that you are interested in this as preparation for some sort of promotion course in which case you are probably interested in the Combat Estimate. I would strongly recommend that you get a TAM with the latest amendment (Jul 03?) which has quite a good insert to help you bluff your way through.

In recent years the estimate process has changed and we are all using something called the 7 questions. There was an ARRSE thread on this very topic that I am trying to find! Not much luck so far but it is there somewhere
  3. Or does IS Ski Geek mean 'appreciation', as in the sort conducted on various promotion selection courses (LECB etc) where you are given a scenario, some resources, factors, time lines etc and have to produce a plan / solution in a given amount of time?

OK, I concede, that might be an estimate, but I thought the two were separate processes? (I've never heard of them giving out TAM's on those promotion selection board thingies).
  4. I appreciate you ski....i think your great mate...this site couldn't function without you :D
  5. If you're talking about the 7 question end of the appreciation, prepare to be confused. Q1 What is the en doing....objective refers to ground instead of the en intent interpretation of objective. But then to fcuk you about they put it in again in Q2 with a different intonation 8O . Confused? I was. Still passed the exam for it on Saturday. My advice is to do lots of TEWTs to help you get it into your head. PM me if you want more specific advice.
  6. ...but a lot less than if you tried picking up its predecessor....anyway, S_C, by the sound of it you're just off MTQ2 (at Barry Buddon, perhaps?), and MTQ2 has only ever been an introduction to appreciations/estimates/combat estimates rather than the "whole teaching package".

Try "Army Training and Doctrine News" - there's a series of articles on the 7 questions over the past couple of issues, aimed mainly at platoon level operations.

Also try the "Tactical Doctrine Notes" - in your ever-efficient Pamphlet store, or more likely in the latest version of the Electronic Battle Box (if you can get access to a copy 8) ) That explains things at Battle Group staff level.

If, of course, you're looking at TCB/RCB or the like, they tell you exactly how they want you to set out your thinking with a little aide memoire on the outside of the problem sheet. At least, they did on the examples I've seen.