Anyone have any idea what this is on Sharpe?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by wildcard.rgbw, Jul 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, irrelevant I know but does ANYONE have any idea what this is on Major Shape during Sharpes Justice, seems to be a form of DPM poncho or cloak?

I was under the impression the only form of camoflage riflemen used in that era they were famed for was their rifle green uniform (beg my history lesson from a green jacket) :D

Attached Files:

2. Its a civvy Coachmans coat, sometimes also called a drovers coat, used in 17th/18th/19th centuary by outdoor workers and is the forefather of the modern Barber and Australian stockmans coat, made out of waxed cotten, it.s not camo, it's just wellworn and dirty, ueualy worn with a low crowned wide brimed hat not unlike a Stetson

3. How the fcuk did you know that???

4. Is it a 'coat'?

I think I've got one.

I'll get it now :clap:

5. Cheers for that tropper, mind you Sharpe does look quite ally in it :)

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I always thought it was dirty
    Is that the episode where he comes back to Blighty to bash uppity peasants

7. Yes it is, not in my top 3 however

8. I own one , only it's Gortex, the waxed cotten one's weigh about half a ton when wet

9. Before the Railway, all cattle were driven to market by "Drovers" from all over the UK. But in Wales there still are a number of droving roads which are very wide lanes to allow the driving of large numbers of cattle, sheep, and even ducks and geese. The coats died out a bit as there was no need for them ,but the Trench coat of the First World War is very alike but much shorter. In Australia they still used them as they still did droving on foot and horse back untill modern times. You can still get them in any good country clothing shop

10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

You're not wrong. I've got a waxed cotton Barbour Stockman coat complete with storm cape and so on. Once wet they do tend to gain a few pounds. Keep you bone dry though.

11. My advice, iff anyone should want one, is to go to your local county show there are some realy good deals to be had there

12. I look much better in a hauberk to be honest.

13. Hence their name down under: Drizabone

14. It was also known as an Ulster for some reason.

15. i used to wear a wax jacket on hill top sites. Kept it on a hook (made of welding rod) by the back of the 9x9/iso/corrimec. Kept me snug and warm when going for toilets and gene changes....

Obviously the "grown ups" didn't like it, but fcuk 'em they weren't on the top of some hill covered in snow.

The pockets could some mags and other useful stuff too.