Anyone got an example CV that works around armed service quals?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by MrBane, Feb 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

As per the title, does anyone have an example of a CV which encompasses army qualifications?

I'm fine at writing standard CV's, but I'm buggered if I know how to fit in all my army time.

Any help grealy appreciated!

2. Go on to "Linked in" and join one of the British Forces groups (there are loads).

You will then see lots of examples of cv's and get a few ideas of what works.

3. As per Bushmills comment, Linked In has a number of good forums to rape and pillage in UK Defence: Vacancy of the day, and Pathfinder magazine are a couple to look at.

4. When I came out I broke it down into postings and a general outline of responsibilities and courses attended, that way it gives a timeline to prospective employers and I found sometimes talking points to interviewers as well. Try to keep it to civvy speak and don't use too many TLA's.

5. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yeah, I've got the hang of translating stuff... So for example, a Regimental Signals Instructor becomes Advanced Digital Communications Lecturer.

I like the timeline thing, I'll have a look at knocking something up with that in mind.

Many thanks!

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Like Stilly, I've listed my different drafts and courses in my employment history.

Something like this:

2009-Present
    49 Para Commando Battery

Responsible for all tea making and gash disposal within the battery, mentoring junior soldiers throughout their tea making training and carrying out audits and quality control for the entire refreshment manufacturing facility.

2008-2009
    RAF Cranwell

Advanced management training gaining a PHD in man management and health & safety. Subjects covered include; intermediate drinking, advanced jet skiing and fingering your mate's wife.

2006-2008
    HMS Massive

Deployed on operations to the Persian Gulf, responsible for the maintenance of all defensive weapons onboard. Ever seen a Somalian's head explode? It's ace.

etc.

7. Ohhh you copied my CV and just changed locations, I will have you for plagarism young Ravers.

8. My CV simply states:

I'm a hero. Give me a job you gopping civvy ****.

• Like Like x 4
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It sometime comes as a surprise to people that the commercial sector is as much (if nor more) results driven than the military. Two year postings to get a tick in the box mean nothing to them.

Aim to highlight what you have achieved, not just what job you have done - don't tell them you were a salesman, tell them how much you sold.

Rather than focussing on how long you were an advanced digital communications lecturer, tell them how many students you instructed, at what level, pass rates, how this improved the productivity of your employer etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Also,

Put a summary section at the top with a brief outline of what a great guy you are finishing with a handful of bullet points outlining your key (transferrable) skills and abilties. E.g.

• In depth understanding of customer service and delivery
    • Clear logical thinker with an aptitude for the creative solution
    • Clear, concise and effective communication skills
    • Credibility, maturity and influence with staff and management at all levels. A rolled sleeves" approach. Drive, energy and enthusiasm with a "can do" attitude.

Don't forget to read any job spec throughly and if necessary taper the CV to the job applied for. You can never put everything you've done or learnt, so drop stuff that's not relevant and add stuff in that is. But don't lie.

When I recruit staff I'm looking for knowledge, skills, and behaviors. I.e What you know, how you've applied that knowledge, and what motivates you. But the most important aspect is behaviours, the other two can be taught in (to a certain extent). I'll be looking for the lateral thinker/ customer focused/ completer finisher / problem solver/ management mentor, as appropriate

When outlining your experience, try to highlight achievements or times when you've had a 'big win' not in military terms of course, but try to angle it to why a civvy recruiter would benefit from having you.

Have a google at 'experiental' interviewing techniques, most recruiters now don't bother with the "tell me what you've been doing for the last 20 years" They can read that from the CV. Nor do they ask hypothetical questions any more. It more like "can you give me an example when you had to convince someone senior that your way was right, how did you go about it", or "Tell me about a time when you've had to motivate staff not working directly for you, to complete a piece of work that was vital to your role"

Oh and re-read it over and over again for spelling and grammar, if necessary get someone to check it for you, nothing stands out worse than poor spelling and grammar.

Best of luck

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

In good old Arrse fashion,

Agreed, but....

Not all sectors of industry would expect to see these sorts of personal statements, or give them any form of attention. After all, they are always self serving and often repetetive. They nearly always include trite phrases such as "good communicator, team worker, results driven" etc, when the reality would be "my colleagues barely speak to me because we have rowed so much, my BO and halitosis could stun my colleagues if we were ever in the same room and I need a new job because I keep cocking up here".

It is well worth doing the reseach to see what the practice is in your chosen field.

12. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

There was a long thread on the subject here

http://www.arrse.co.uk/jobs-discussion/76623-cv-template.html

Lots of good advice on this thread and lots on the thread link

Personally, I am not a big fan of 'translating' I think it makes you look too much like a smartarse, giving the perception that you trying to hoodwink a thick civvy or even somehow ashamed of your service history. I am sure anyone would have three quarters of an idea what a Regimental Signals Instructor actual did from those three words and if the CV explains it then so much the better. Instructing is definately not the same as lecturing, lecturing means something very different.

If you were an RSI then state it but explain what it involved and as the Duke says above, don't just list the duties of the role list your achievements in it.

13. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Get a civvy mate who knows nothing about the Army to read it before you use it. If anything confuses him/her, change it or get rid. Also, see if you have any friends who are in/know someone in an HR department, get their advice - it may start a conversation that leads to employment. As others have said, tailor your CV to the job spec (don't put in too much other stuff, no matter how impressive, if it's not relevant - you'll confuse the HR assistant doing the initial sift) and remember that your CV is a work in progress until you snuff it so keep doing things and keep it updated. Also, check your online presence to see if the incident with the goat made Facebook or some other internet septic tank - it's the first check that HR creatures do and it's amazing what they turn up when checking to see if you really did win that double VC and the Nobel Peace Prize.

• Like Like x 1
  14. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

FF makes a great point about your online presence

I always thought Facebook was a double edged sword, some of the others above may clarify but I understand for a lot of jobs now a Facebook search is often carried out.

Would reccomend LinkedIN though, very useful

15. Don't forget two vital additions.

1) Unless asked otherwise, always send a well constructed covering letter. This should cover, where you saw the advertised job, why you are suitable for the advertised role and when you are available for interview.

2) Your CV and covering letter are for getting you to interview, not for getting the job.

Interview technique is critical and that's what gets you employed. Good advice for you so far here, but don't get too tied up with the CV thing, although, as has been said, it has to be laid out correctly, and faultless in spelling and grammar.