Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone got a copy of a Form G1098 (Infantry scale of Issues) from 1980's period

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I cant speak for Other Arms - but in the Inf we did use (as we called it) a buddy system. Post Falklands there were amendments issued to the Inf Platoon Basic Tactics (as contained in Pam 45 Part 2) which (formally) introduced the new method of F & M (Fire and Manoeuvre - not to be confused with the S & M - a wholly different, normally weekend activity!) where the Assault Fire Team movement was broken down into pairs during the assault through to the reorg. As a section Commander - good drills meant pairing off your guys as an SOP. Being as this learning came from post-Corporate fallout in late 82- I would suggest that if the Yanks used the term - then they nicked it from us.

The term was also used in ref to NBC drills - for IA etc.

Oppo and battle partner I'd heard, I imagine the alliteration lured someone into coining 'battle buddy,' or indeed as you say it returned from the Cousins in that form.

ExWoofer

Swinger
Ah yes, the tiny shovel that attached to your 58 webbing in such a way that whenever you went prone it would push your tin hat over your eyes.

That's the bager - the "Tiny" one - but a big pain in the f***ing a*se. I opted to carry a pick early on, despite the extra weight penalty (2kg), as an 84 plus baggage and ammo was enough to be fighting with/against let alone some extra plank on your back. And yes the shovel made a decent fire position nearly impossible. IIRC most other Inf NCO's used to carry a pick for the same reasons.

I am ex-Inf and was a Reg during the "Dark ages" (80's) - the carrying of picks/shovels was standard for both CEMO/CEFO but its the Inf official issue/ratio I am after (plus also the full official scale of other Inf kit).
I have quoted the official document which may help you find ET scales but you appear to have ignored that information. It was real fun tracking down and reading all those JSPs. Enjoy. :)

ExWoofer

Swinger
I have quoted the official document which may help you find ET scales but you appear to have ignored that information. It was real fun tracking down and reading all those JSPs. Enjoy. :)

My apologies Bladesman - I have been reading the content of your link in-between replies and yes it is very useful - so thanks for posting that. If I don't get any joy on here or elsewhere I am going to do an FOI request to MOD and your info will help frame the question correctly - hopefully meaning I get a decent reply.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
My apologies Bladesman - I have been reading the content of your link in-between replies and yes it is very useful - so thanks for posting that. If I don't get any joy on here or elsewhere I am going to do an FOI request to MOD and your info will help frame the question correctly - hopefully meaning I get a decent reply.

Who said naïvety was dead ?

You are welcome Woofer. One other avenue you might want to explore is the RLC School of Logistics. The All Arms QM branch still teaches all the QM, RQMS and CQMS courses, as far as I am aware anyway. Still in Deepcut for now I think.
They may even have historic ETs stored away and the CI will be able to advise you further in your quest.
Good luck with it.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oppo and battle partner I'd heard, I imagine the alliteration lured someone into coining 'battle buddy,' or indeed as you say it returned from the Cousins in that form.

'Buddy' was definitely used on inf courses in the 70s and 80s. Also known as the 'buddy-buddy system'.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Fair one, I'd just never heard it.

You weren't in those Colonial forces below Canada were you ?

Fair one, I'd just never heard it.

You weren't in those Colonial forces below Canada were you ?
Definitely came across it as well in the same period, in the form of "buddy-buddy system" and "buddy." This was in three different UOTCs and the TA (R Signals, centre of excellence in all things infantry). Never heard "battle buddy" -- might that have been a local variant?

Has anyone got a copy of an MOD Form G1098 (Infantry scales of Issues) from the 1980's period they could supply me?

I am after one as part of some research into kit issued in the 1980's.

Also, one question I am after finding out an answer to in particular is -

what was the ratio of (issue) Lightweight Picks to Lightweight Shovels?

i.e. 1 Pick -1 Shovel, 1-2 etc?

I know as a Section Commander I used to make sure we had a mix of both - but was there an official ratio (and where does it appear on an official document)?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sh1t comments will be happily tolerated (at least they keep the thread alive).
Those old enough to remember Ruston Bucyrus excavators will know that the models were numbered, such as 10RB, 19RB, 22RB. A fellow Sapper in 8 Railway Squadron RE at Longmoor 1959-1962 - Jim Phillips, an MT mechanic - named a shovel a 1RB, a pick axe a 2RB.

As I understand it - the G1033 was the issue and receipt voucher (receipt). However, the G1098 would give the scale of issue. Certainly the Company store where shovels, picks, webbing, binos etc came from was known as the G10 store.
Surely a 1033 was for personal items, such as clothing, bedding, etc?

Latest Threads