Anyone got a copy of a Form G1098 (Infantry scale of Issues) from 1980's period

ExWoofer

Clanker
Has anyone got a copy of an MOD Form G1098 (Infantry scales of Issues) from the 1980's period they could supply me?

I am after one as part of some research into kit issued in the 1980's.

Also, one question I am after finding out an answer to in particular is -

what was the ratio of (issue) Lightweight Picks to Lightweight Shovels?

i.e. 1 Pick -1 Shovel, 1-2 etc?

I know as a Section Commander I used to make sure we had a mix of both - but was there an official ratio (and where does it appear on an official document)?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sh1t comments will be happily tolerated (at least they keep the thread alive).

ExWoofer

Clanker
Update - In particular I hope to find the BAOR Mech Inf Rifle Coy G1098 or UK but any would be a start.

ExWoofer

Clanker
surely the pick was issued on a G1033

As I understand it - the G1033 was the issue and receipt voucher (receipt). However, the G1098 would give the scale of issue. Certainly the Company store where shovels, picks, webbing, binos etc came from was known as the G10 store.

That is a very interesting question. Being an American Indian who never served in the British Army during the relevant period, I cannot answer it for you. :? I can't think of many who did serve in the British Army who could answer it for you either, FWIW. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, why would it matter? :?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
From memory, you'd want quite a few picks on Salisbury Plain and hardly any on the North German Plain.

I've kept a fair few documents and Part One Orders from the '80s, but doubt I have a G1098.

Again from memory, the G1033 is what you sign to draw additional kit, G1098 is the standard issue to each soldier. So, you'd draw from the G10 store whatever you were told to in excess of your G1098 personal kit, be that a pick or a shovel until the CQMS ran out.

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
Is it not your 1157 that was the issue for each soldier. The G1098 was the store containing the stores and equipments issued to each troop?? In an RE G1098 there would be the full complement of artisan tool chests, basic Cbt Engr tools and then the veh CES.

CQMS

LE
Is it not your 1157 that was the issue for each soldier. The G1098 was the store containing the stores and equipments issued to each troop?? In an RE G1098 there would be the full complement of artisan tool chests, basic Cbt Engr tools and then the veh CES.

Yes, what the OP is looking for I think is the ET for a BAOR Mech Inf Rifle Coy circa 1980.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Told you it was from memory. You're right.

G1157 personal kit.
G1098 stuff available signed for on a G1033. Ta from an old codger!

ExWoofer

Clanker
In my day, other equipment (webbing, picks/shovels, poncho etc) was locally issued on a temporary basis on posting. I understand the scale of issue for this kit was recorded/dictated on/by the FG1098. This store was maintained at a Company level and was run by the Coy Colour Sgt.

It is the scale of issue of this locally issued kit I am after (BAOR Mech Inf Rifle Coy G1098 or UK)

The F1157 is a Personal Clothing Record (Uniform issued on permanent/semi permanent basis to an individual - for theatre use). This was usually issued upon enlistment and was retained throughout service. Additional items would be added/withdrawn dependant on posting/role - i.e. Warm weather uniform. This was usually maintained by the QM/ RQMS at the main clothing store. I have copies of about 8 versions of the F1157 (Male, Female, Reservist etc).

The F1033 was only the confirmation of issue/receipt - it does not indicate the scale of issue. See attached pics

Attachments

• WP_20141122_004.jpg
    WP_20141122_004.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 1,372
  • WP_20141122_001.jpg
    WP_20141122_001.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • WP_20141023_001.jpg
    WP_20141023_001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 335
Has anyone got a copy of an MOD Form G1098 (Infantry scales of Issues) from the 1980's period they could supply me?

I am after one as part of some research into kit issued in the 1980's.

I know as a Section Commander I used to make sure we had a mix of both - but was there an official ratio (and where does it appear on an official document)?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sh1t comments will be happily tolerated (at least they keep the thread alive).

This is only from basic, but so far as I recall, if you needed a pick and shovel for an infantry exercise, you also needed a battle buddy, so it was one each a piece all round.

Latest Threads