Anyone from NI tried to find their family.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tytus_Barnowl, May 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Not immediately related to military connections but I'm sure there were some. I am trying to find out some info about my Grandfathers family, none who knew him are still around (to my knowledge). I know his dob problem is his name was Jimmy Johnston and he came from the Shankill road in Belfast. Family staunch protestant methodist. My sister has checked out PRONI, I am over there for a few weeks in July, any pointers please help.

2. All the 1901 and 1911 Census records are on the National Library of Ireland site - maybe try there, at least you can pinpoint his former address on the Shankill, and use that to find descendents through baptism records etc? There are a few genealogy sites that give tips on how to find ancestors and long lost cousins.
  3. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Thanks for that. I'll checkout the National Library. The genealogy sites could help if the name was not the most common in Belfast at that time. John Smith in london or Dai Jones in the valleys is comparable.
  4. I don't wish to dishearten the OP, but both my parents, and their large extended families are from the Shankill, and there are Johnstons on both sides of the extended families . It is one of the most, if not THE most common surnames around that area even today. I'd be surprised indeed if you didn't turn up a Margaret Johnston or two in your family!

Good luck with your search, but just bear in mind you may get a lot of "false positives"

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post above first time around - looks like you've figured this out already!
  5. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Yes, I already know what the challenge is, the only other Johnston mentioned in his family was called Peggy. Short for Margaret.