Anyone fancy living (buying a house) in Bovington, Dorset?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by bovvy, Nov 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I never thought I'd want to leave Bovington, ever.
    However, over the past 8 months, I've found that I miss my daughter and granddaughter terribly.
    I've finally decided that I really do need to live nearer to them, in Aldershot, so that I can be a proper grandma and help out.

Having made this decision, there is a difficulty for me:
    with the realistic price of my house now being only around £155k, the idea of handing over nearly £4,000 (2% + VAT) to an estate agent sticks in my throat.

So, before engaging an estate agent, I thought I'd try here.

My house is a solid 1950's ex MoD house. It has good sized rooms: 2 double bedrooms, reception, good sized kitchen and bathroom. There is a good sized garden (on three sides) and it is not overlooked. The large sitting room window looks out to a huge expanse of sky over gardens and the car park, with the nearest house in the distance. I have wonderful neighbours, who are there if one needs them, but don't intrude.

Or is there anyone else, in a similar position, in Aldershot, who might fancy a swap?

bovvy

2. Hi Bovvy, could you IM me more details please

3. bovvy,

I take it that you want to do a straight swap, or are you prepared to put some more cash into the deal?

The problem being that the only thing you'll find in Aldershot for £155k is a flat.

To get the same sort of building as you have now will cost you in the region of another £100k.

4. Thank you portshort,

I wouldn't be able to put much more cash in.

There are a few houses available in Aldershot in that price range (house prices have really plummeted here and there):

http://www.findaproperty.com/searchresults.aspx?loc=Aldershot&minprice=150000&maxprice=160000&bedrooms=2&f.x=69&f.y=12&res=0&salerent=0&edid=0

And civi-in-green,

I've sent you a PM.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I would live in Dorset tomorrow if the house was the right size! Needs to be a 4 bed at least and preferrably with no neighbours!

6. Before I moved here, I was looking for land in "the wilds" to do a self-build log cabin, but it never worked out. (I think we've bumped into each other on a thread on the subject.) But I've enjoyed Bovington.

7. In the interest of providing information, here's a copy of what I put in a PM:

"As to asking price, when I had some estate agents out to do a valuation, 3 of them said things like "put it on the market at 169,950 or 165,000 and I should get between 160k and 165k". But one estate agent suggested "offers in excess of 155k". Values have dropped. A house similar to mine is (or was a couple of weeks ago) at an asking price of 181k. This is now totally unrealistic. So I guess £155k is realistic."