anyone fancy a 'new' FG42?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
very nice, but would`nt a higher capacity mag sticking out the side affect the handling ?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We had a an FG42 in our confiscated weapons ISO in BLMF. IIRC it was not nearly as sexy close up as it looks from a distance. More the feel of a knackered Asian AK47.

The modern reimagining looks quite smart.

Had a go with their MP-44 which was really rather smooth to shoot. When it arrived the guy had no end of trouble with it and had to send it back. It then worked great once he'd done some file work on the mag to stop it falling out.

But it did look the dog tiddlies, looked truely like the real thing and not a crap copy.

Think this is the same company.

Home

EDIT: Oh no it isn't...that new thing looks pump.

Any reason it has a dildo on the front? Or is that the 'fancy muzzle brake'?

I think it looks decent, you wouldn't know the original design is 60 odd years old.

fg_2wi-tm-tfb.jpeg

fg_1z-tm-tfb.jpeg

One again something barstardised to suit the 'mercan market. NOT EVERTHING HAS TO BE AR-COMPATIBLE!

For those with the means, one can go here for the better version (even available in straight-pull):
Willkommen
Not only AR compatible, but AK compatible too - cos the ammo is cheaper.

We had a local Ford dealer giving away an AK with every pickup sold one weekend last year. He shifted 35, apparently.

TBH, that "tactical" one is an awful lot of oompf in a very small & light package, afforded by the position of the magazine.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer

Elegance agreed, simplicity not so much imo.

As for 'allyness':

8) 8)
I suppose it's context - the FG42 was designed by a bunch of blokes being advised by blokes with combat experience to make a weapon that would work on the battlefield. The modern version's been designed by some blokes being advised by a wide boy from marketing who can see that people will buy anything if it looks cool.

Did that chap's chute fail to open and he's speared into the ground up to his knees? If so, he looks pretty cheerful - definitely ally.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Only if the floor fell out of the glider.

I suppose it's context - the FG42 was designed by a bunch of blokes being advised by blokes with combat experience to make a weapon that would work on the battlefield. The modern version's been designed by some blokes being advised by a wide boy from marketing who can see that people will buy anything if it looks cool.
Not easy to make a controllable fully automatic rifle firing full on rifle ammo eg 7.92x57, 7.62x63(.30.06), .303 etc, but they made a good attempt at it imo.

Did that chap's chute fail to open and he's speared into the ground up to his knees? If so, he looks pretty cheerful - definitely ally.
Ultimate 'allyness' German para's in WW2 imo. They were renowned for wearing mahoosive smocks which go down your leg a bit unlike the Brit ones with a strap and very baggy trousers. This was the glider assault to rescue Musso, so it was SS para's IIRC.

Never touched one, but first saw one in military modeller magazine when I was around 15 ............. and wanted one.

Never touched one, but first saw one in military modeller magazine when I was around 15 ............. and wanted one.
Didn't we all? Never fired one but handled them in Notts and then Leeds. Nice for the time, albeit give a a Stug 44 anyday.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Ultimate 'allyness' German para's in WW2 imo. They were renowned for wearing mahoosive smocks which go down your leg a bit unlike the Brit ones with a strap and very baggy trousers. This was the glider assault to rescue Musso, so it was SS para's IIRC.
I always thought "ally" had a touch of casualness to it - "I just threw these things on for combat." In those terms the Germans were always trying too hard.

I always thought "ally" had a touch of casualness to it - "I just threw these things on for combat." In those terms the Germans were always trying too hard.
I don't know if there is a definition per se, just using either issue kit and making it look cool or adding a few bits and bobs, to make you look cool. He's definitely 'ally' in my book, wearing issue kit and looking cool naturally rather than trying too hard imo:

-when you add the fact it's an FG42 and that he's Waffen SS para, even more 'ally' imo

Ally, because of who he is:

F#cking ally because of who he is, the way he's dressed and what he's just done:

- having read his book though he's a big headed murdering knob. Still looks 'ally' though imho