Anyone ever successfully made a Scottish dessert called a Cranachan?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by TamH70, Aug 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If so, what was your killer recipe? And can wild-picked loganberries be successfully substituted for the raspberries I have seen advocated elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,

2. Never done cranachan but a great German restaurant in NYC (now, sadly, closed) used to make a dessert of an apple pancake rolled around crushed loganberries and served flaming with rum. Totally wonderful dessert!!

Go for it!!!
  3. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

4. Traditionally cranachan should be made with whiskey cream, toasted oats and raspberries, but I've made it with blueberries as well. Strawberries would be a bit too English.

To make the whiskey cream you need to slowly dribble the whiskey while you whip it, don't do it too fast or your cream will split. Also go light with it as too much whiskey will spoil it.
  5. Cheers Shrew. I have been unable to get enough proper wild raspberries to make the dish, (I hate paying money for chemically saturated shop bought stuff) so decided to use loganberries instead. I will take your advice with the whisky/cream interface, as I don't want to spoil it.

6. Never, ever, EVER use Porridge Oats. It doesn't work and tastes like cack. Trust me on this one - I've tried to make it "drunk" too many times. Rolled oats. Always rolled oats...and soaking the oats a little bit in whisky also helps get the flavour in...