Anyone ever started a charity / CIC?

I'll have you know this is one thing which I'm actually very competent at, having instructed hundreds of complete beginners, those on the competitive pathway as well as corporate events where they're mainly drunk.

I liked to say when taking a new course of beginners that the Club has zero recorded injuries in the 30 years it's been running.

Mainly because we don't record them.
Like insuring ships; you start with the Titanic as a base-line, and work forward from there.

I'll have you know this is one thing which I'm actually very competent at, having instructed hundreds of complete beginners, those on the competitive pathway as well as corporate events where they're mainly drunk.

I liked to say when taking a new course of beginners that the Club has zero recorded injuries in the 30 years it's been running.

Mainly because we don't record them.
Such a shame really. If you had recorded them, via video, Harry Hill would have given you £250 for a youngster with an arrow stuck in his noggin!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Such a shame really. If you had recorded them, via video, Harry Hill would have given you £250 for a youngster with an arrow stuck in his noggin!
Whereas Jimmy Saville would just have given me £250 for the youngster.

boOm BooM.

Old-Salt
@MrBane

Bin the archery and give the kids guns.

Nail guns. You could then get them nailing MrBane Joinery products and MrBane Timber FlowerBeds together for free - call it cunningly disguised slave labour if you will but one of the upsides is that no responsible adults will be needed to manage and contain the kids.

The little fcukers will all nail each other to the flowerbeds etc so you'll always know exactly where they are and what they are up to whilst in your care. An on site first aider may be prudent.

You know it makes sense and the fee for my advice is just 10% of the gross sales value of everything nailed up by the slaves kids.

anglo

LE
I've been thinking about starting a charity / Community Interest Company for a few years now.

Basically, archery in a van. I'm a L1 UK instructor in archery and used to be development officer and then treasurer for our Community Amature Sports Club (CASC) which is an HMRC recognised status.

Archery is amazingly popular with kids and because of my day job, I tie in with a lot of small groups and organisations who deal with disadvantaged kids (read poor, hungry and dirty) and often they struggle to find something that works for the more unruly kids. Those are the kids that really need some form of engagement to steer then away from the inevitable criminality.

Anyway, I've got my business plan sorted and in essence I'd link in with all these groups and delivery archery more or less on site for only the cost of petrol and literally two or three £ on top to start building up a kitty. Thanks to some cunning interior modifications (courtesy MrB joinery and metalwerks) they'd be shooting into the van (safety net on a pulley / arm system) meaning the system is easily deployed anywhere.

I'd need to self-fund initially so I think including the van and kit, I'd be about £15k which I'm happy to do, and the long term strategy is to act as a feeder into the two clubs in Glasgow which have youth sections.

I'm just looking to hear from anyone who's started a charity or CIC and what pitfalls they encountered or their own experiences of it?
Go for it, you could get other freckers to do the work and pay yourself a huge salary:)

Latest Threads