Anyone ever heard of:

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Filbert Fox, Jun 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gary Cotterill DCM Ex-RAMC?

Saw his name on a government petition, went to the London Gazette website, they have no record of any Gary Cotterill (of any Capbadge, as his profile also says he was Royal Signals) receiving a DCM.

Found his profile: Gary Cotterill DCM

Says he served Sept 83 - Aug 03, with a 7 year break - 89-96 in the French Foreign Legion!

If he, complete with DCM exists then I'll happily delete this thread.

Cheers.

2. missus on maternity ATM so can't check with SSE(current employer on linkedin)
    would be interested with result though
    as i know a few high up HR'ers & credit management peeps there

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Release the Waltenkommando!

4. Strange that the London Gazette holds no mention of any DCM recipient 'Gary Cotterill' :roll:

5. I'll leave it for a couple of days, see if anyone knows of him and his DCM, then if not I'll unlesh it into the Waltfinding thread.

6. could it be a Dirty Cheese eating surrender Monkey medal?
    he was in the legion for seven years
    :D

edited to add

he links to RBL Riders Branch on his linkedin profile, anyone else a member who can confirm him?

7. Gary Cotterill

Special Forces Medic - Sgt
    Legion Etrangere
    (Military industry)

November 1989 — December 1996 (7 years 2 months)

2REP
    3REI

University of Leicester
    BA(Hons) , Security & Risk Management , 1990 — 1993

I presume his degree was by way of correspondence

8. 1. How come he only did 7 yrs 2 months in the Legion. I thought that their contracts were 5 years at a time.

2. Does it not take at least 9 years to be a Sgt in the Legion.

3. 6 yrs 8 months to be a Sgt in the RAMC. Fast?

4. Why did he transfer from a Para unit to an infantry unit in the Legion?

5. Wasn't the DCM discontinued after 1993, which would mean that he was 'awarded' it between September 1983 and October 1989.

6. Why, if it was awarded, was it not gazetted?

9. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark :roll:

10. wow my first walt! :oops:

He could be using DCM meaning 'Debt Counselling Management' and hinting that its a Distinguished Conduct Medal from his service in the forces by using the post noms DCM, as he appears to be a Debt Recovery Field Team Manager at Scottish and Southern Energy or of course he is bullshitting and claiming to have a Distinguished Conduct Medal!

Why else would you put DCM as post noms on your profile or sign yourself on a Military orientated petition to 10 Downing Street unless you are making out that you have been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal?

11. He has been contacted, just need to wait out now!

12. I asked a couple of boys from the RBL Riders about him, they had heard about this but no one seems to have met him

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

There is no RAMC DCM from the modern era. As correctly stated the DCM was replaced in 1993; the only deployements Cotterill could have been awarded would be Northern Ireland or Bosnia. He missed GW1 as he was busy in the Legion.

I am sure any gallantry medal awarded to a medic in modern times is big news and common knowledge.

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Link placed in the RSigs board- as you never know.