Anyone ever get issued a 1903 pattern belt?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by General Melchett, Feb 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

2. Yes mate..

Issued at the Factory - Belts Leather Polishing Officer Cadets for the use of...

Once was a prize item of wear for YO Tottie... 8)

3. I was issued one.

I believe the King's Troop still have them issued.

the_Bat :batman:

4. IIRC I've seen photos of RE full screws wearing such items together with the khaki peaked caps a la Household Cav. I think they were drill pigs and the photos were of a friend's son from his intake's group photo from basic in 2001/02.

5. General Melchett

Funny you should mention that but I saw RE full screws wearing the khaki caps at Lichfield up to when it closed in 2008.

OK, so we've established the belts are still possibly on issue.

Anyone get hold of some for me?

6. I was told by one of said RE full screws that the khaki cap was something to do with being Junior Drill Instructors, although I must admit I was a bit pissed at the time, I'm sure one of the RE will put me right if I am.

7. Been thinking on it a while and I'm sure H Cav wear the belt in whatever they call No 2s on horseback, the rig being No 1 cap, No 2 jacket, shirt and tie, riding breaches (khaki), riding boots and the 1903 belt. But it could have been King's Troop too.

8. QM RMAS in the warren is probably a good bet

9. That belt looks a good bit of kit. no wounder it stayed around for so long with little change. I know its only a belt, but if it works and all that :)

10. Slightly off topic;

As a hobby I make 4" wide stable belts based on the patterns of the early 1900's, using old horse girth straps or similar leather as made by military farriers in the 1880's onwards. (info on the history of stable belts see;
    www.stablebelts.co.uk/stablebeltevo.html ).

As part of my reseach I found a down loadable copy of 'The Development of the Mills Woven Cartridge Belt 1877 - 1956' which gives clear photographs of webbing and belts of this time. (But no pictures of the 1903 pattern belt).

I would be grateful if somebody could please post a picture of the 1903 belt as I may be able to make one. (picture of both sides if possible to show how the buckle is attached and a diamentions would be helpful).

Thank you

11. sorry double tap!!

12. I'm pretty sure we had some of those '03 pattern belts in the Line Stores cupboard (circa '92). I've still got a little leather fob clip thing that threaded on to them on my keyring.

13. Anyone know if the liny belt is just the 1903 belt with a key fob thingy on it?

14. General Melchett

The machine is doing odd things today, hence this random post.