Anyone else play Magic the Gathering and other card games

jim30

LE
I have recently been inducted into the wallet burning game that is called 'Magic the Gathering' - having turned my nose up at it for years, I've now become mildly addicted to what is probably the best beer drinking card game I've tried.

Is anyone else a Magic addict too, or am I alone?

I have recently been inducted into the wallet burning game that is called 'Magic the Gathering' - having turned my nose up at it for years, I've now become mildly addicted to what is probably the best beer drinking card game I've tried.

The game within the game became the game outside the game...

Unless you've never played Witcher 3, of course.

I've never heard of it. I'm more of a Euchre & Shit On Your Oppo card player.

RZer0

LE
I don't, I understand it has similar level of addiction to that of heroin, so try to avoid it at all costs.
But some non nerd/geek types play it as well.
Josh Barnett of UFC fame is a big fan and few other jock types.

I don't, I understand it has similar level of addiction to that of heroin, so try to avoid it at all costs.
But some non nerd/geek types play it as well.
Josh Barnett of UFC fame is a big fan and few other jock types.
I think MMA generally attracts fairly intelligent fighters/players (if you "play sport). I've been to competitions before and seen people reading before they're due to go into the cage, on the mat etc; not to mention the UFC has had it's fair share of accountants, PhDs etc.

OMJT

Old-Salt
Yep, been there and come out the other side. I still enjoy the odd game and build a few decks but I was never serious. The whole family take a deck or 2 on holiday for rainy days, wife still beats me... Youngest son wanted to get into Pokemon so we all got a deck. I'm not a fan to be honest.
On a slightly different note, I'm trying to resist buying Arkham Horror lcg. Love the setting, art etc. I'm resisting but my will power is low.

There always used to be a few in a local gaming club who had some games on Fridays whilst we played 40k. Quite frankly I cannot afford the free time to get into another hobby yet, I still have around 35,000 points of 40k to paint!

My armies are more grey than a necron invasion.

My wife and I play Magic every now and then. It's a good game! I think I reviewed it on this forum.

Ditts

Old-Salt
Got into it during my first year at uni. Played and spent too much and managed to kick the habit by the end of my master's degree. A dangerous game.

Back in the day at the Uni Gaming Society, MTG players where to the tabletop war gamer's what Tabletop war gamer's were to normal people.

I used to think you were cool Jim...

I have played it, never fanatically. But have recently discovered a new thing. Shadespire by Games Workshop. Set in AoS, its a small team of 3-7 warriors fighting on a board. The relevance to the discussion? You have to build a deck of x number of objectives you need to complete in game, and y number of 'ploys' that might buff your troops, make people swap places or objectives to change location.

The deck building aspect and the fairly tight rules make it a good game, with some sweet miniatures - it is self contained boxes with all 3- 7 you need in a team, in easy-build plastic, but with awesome detail.

Well worth a look, it is (for me) superior to magic.

Frog Hall

Old-Salt
Just started gaming (and chess) again as I now have plenty of free evenings. Star Realms seems to be a popular game with the group as well as a co-op games (too many for my liking even if they are fun). I am about to introduce them the backstabbing evil that is Illuminati.

Chef

LE
Magic is a girly game, not like the manly game that is 'Up Front':cool:

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Doesn't anybody play Dungeons and Dragons any more ??? :cry::cry:

you sad anoraks !!!!!

kimmi851

Old-Salt
Doesn't anybody play Dungeons and Dragons any more ??? :cry::cry:

you sad anoraks !!!!!
Of course we do - and you should see the eye candy that seem to play it these days, you are missing a trick looking down on the geeks. Adventurers League means I get randomly assigned groups to play in, bribery with cakes gets me into the group with the stunning 21 year old blokes so I can letch.

Latest Threads