Anyone else heard, £140 for every year in, max 6 years ?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by greengoblin, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend has just told me they read a signal which said that the armed forces were entitled to £140 a year for laundry costs and could claim up to 6 years retrospectivelly. So potentially if you've served 6 years you could claim £840.

I'm slightly sceptical because it sounds too good to be true but my friend isn't stupid so there must be something in it.

Any ideas, I thought it would be worth asking on here.

2. Which form do I fill in???????????????

3. I heard the same rumour yesterday, originating out of Camp Bastion. I put it down to urban myth. I asked the pay bloke about it yesterday while i was in for another matter, he hadn't a clue about it.

Rumours like this surface every now and again, and this is a rumour site. I wont be holding my breath. If, Tri-Service, 103,000 servicemen claim the full £840 quid that's a dent of almost 9 million quid in the defence budget. I doubt it somehow.

I would, however, be more than happy to eat my words.

4. The pay chaps keep a lot from us anyway. So despite how friendly we might be with the pay office they still wouldn't tell us about it!!

5. I am in the navy and we are all applying for it at the moment. It all depends on what tax code you are. It does go back 6 years at £140 a year. At the moment the tax office has got a month or 2 delay as so many matelots are putting in for it.
    You may get it or may not. No harm in trying.
    I will put a template of the letter we use on here in next coupla days if thats any help?

davy crockett RN

6. Well maybe it's just a Navy thing? Don't they think RAF and Army wash their clothes!!

7. Its a tax code thing, IIRC the Revenus & Customs make allowances for uniform care £140 at the moment so it comes from them not the defence budget.

8. Its a tax code thing, IIRC the Revenus & Customs make allowances for uniform care £140 at the moment so it comes from them not the defence budget.

9. Its a tax code thing, IIRC the Revenus & Customs make allowances for uniform care £140 at the moment so it comes from them not the defence budget.

10. ^ We heard you and you are correct. It applies to civvies aswell as military.

11. Oracle

I read through that link you have posted. one of the replies says it is only if your work does not have a laundry service. I am sure i have been told we can get our uniform done through the system but who can do without there kit for a week and then worry you will not get it back.

12. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Yeah as far as i am aware you can take your mil kit to the Sqms or Rqms department and put it through the system to get cleaned althoug it will take a week or so, it would mean that you cannot claim the tax back as they are providing the service.

13. If it is a Tax Allowance then it is an adjustment to your Tax Code not a Cash Payment.