Anyone else having issue browsing ARRSE with Firefox 72?

Uninstall AVG and see if that fixes it. My hunch is that their link scanner is causing the problems you describe.

Once uninstalled, make sure you have Windows / MIcrosoft Defender running and run a full scan

1. In the Settings window, click Update & Security, and then click the Windows Defender option on the left side.
  2. In the Windows Defender dialog box that appears, click Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  3. In the window that appears, click the Virus and Threat Protection button on the left side (it’s shaped like a shield).
  4. Click the Quick Scan button.
    Windows Defender scans your computer and reports any findings.
  5. Click Advanced Scan in the Windows Defender Security Center window to choose among a full scan, a custom scan, or an offline scan.
    Windows Defender scans your laptop according to your choice and reports any findings.

How to Run a Scan on Your Windows 10 Laptop with Windows Defender - dummies
Thanks very much for the information here, very kind of you to take the time. I can uninstall AVG and do everything you have recommended. However the AVG is a 'paid' for subscription not the free version. If I do everything as you suggest and that fixes the problem great, I dont mind cancelling the subscription.

If the plan you suggest does not fix the problem how will I get AVG back to continue with the level of Internet Security and Anti Virus protection?

Once again thanks for your help.

Just download it and reinstall it.

Personally I would save the £30 per year or whatever and just use Microsoft Defender. I can't see what AVG offers over and above what Microsoft does...

@Club Swinger,
There seem to be a number of people that have had similar problems to you.
The standard answer from AVG appears to be advising that users try turning off Online shield.
If you can solve your issue by turning Online shield off, you could either:
continue browsing with it off. (paying for something you do not use).
get AVG to fix the problem.
Uninstall and use a different antivirus.

As @Just_plain_you says, I would recommend Windows Defender.

Just download it and reinstall it.

Personally I would save the £30 per year or whatever and just use Microsoft Defender. I can't see what AVG offers over and above what Microsoft does...
AVG Uninstalled AVG Tune Up Uninstalled.

Windows Defender Full Scan in process. Only ##:56:12 to go...:grin::grin::grin: :wink:

You about around midnight tonight:cool::cool:

AVG Uninstalled AVG Tune Up Uninstalled.
Top tip: keep any and all AVG products away from your computer ;)

AVG tune up does very little beyond what Windows does automatically, less for relieving you of more of your hard-earned:
Use Disk clean-up to clear unwanted files (including unwanted browser files).
Use Task Manager to disable unnecessary start-up items.
Windows manages memory (hint: you want to use as much of it as you can)
Use Control Panel to add or remove programs
Use Windows Update to update Windows and other MS programs. Most other quality programs will include a 'check for updates' feature.

Do the links work in firefox now?

Last edited:
Top tip: keep any and all AVG products away from your computer ;)

AVG tune up does very little beyond what Windows does automatically, less for relieving you of more of your hard-earned:
Use Disk clean-up to clear unwanted files (including unwanted browser files).
Use Task Manager to disable unnecessary start-up items.
Windows manages memory (hint: you want to use as much of it as you can)
Use Control Panel to add or remove programs
Use Windows Update to update Windows and other MS programs. Most other quality programs will include a 'check for updates' feature.

Do the links work in firefox now?
Thanks, for the time being I have uninstalled Firefox. I am just waiting for the full scan to finish, then I'll test Google Chrome to see if links work. If they do great, if not then the problem might lie somewhere else, in which case I'm probably stuffed...

Scan has finished, no threats found.. :wink: :wink:

BOOM, VOILA, BOYAKASHA, Top Man you are!

The links are working in Google Chrome....

Take a bow fella :applaud::1::salut:

Not sure whether or not to sack Firefox now or not if Google Chrome is working fine.

Nice one. FWIW, having more than one browser installed is not a bad idea, especially if the one use use regularly craps itself.

You can install firefox and see if the links work there now.

Oh and bung a few sovs to your favourite military charity ;)

Latest Threads