Thanks very much for the information here, very kind of you to take the time. I can uninstall AVG and do everything you have recommended. However the AVG is a 'paid' for subscription not the free version. If I do everything as you suggest and that fixes the problem great, I dont mind cancelling the subscription.Uninstall AVG and see if that fixes it. My hunch is that their link scanner is causing the problems you describe.
Once uninstalled, make sure you have Windows / MIcrosoft Defender running and run a full scan
- In the Settings window, click Update & Security, and then click the Windows Defender option on the left side.
- In the Windows Defender dialog box that appears, click Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- In the window that appears, click the Virus and Threat Protection button on the left side (it’s shaped like a shield).
- Click the Quick Scan button.
Windows Defender scans your computer and reports any findings.
- Click Advanced Scan in the Windows Defender Security Center window to choose among a full scan, a custom scan, or an offline scan.
Windows Defender scans your laptop according to your choice and reports any findings.
How to Run a Scan on Your Windows 10 Laptop with Windows Defender - dummies
If the plan you suggest does not fix the problem how will I get AVG back to continue with the level of Internet Security and Anti Virus protection?
Once again thanks for your help.