Anyone done a BCCS Course?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bibo_boy, Oct 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was 50:50 between doing the BCCS Course and PTI, but recently chose PTI as I thought that Inf. training in my Sqn (sigs) was limited and as a result might be wasted....

Anyone done the course? What was it like and used the skills learnt?

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

There's a pretty good thread on it here.

Ignore the first few posts where the original poster seems to think it's an alternative to SCBC (i.e. Junior Brecon), but there's a bit of a heads up from 'blacky' and others.

I don't know if this is the case (so well worth checking up on), but certainly used to be that a SAA qual was a prerequisite. If you're going down the RD/RTC route in a Corps I would guess this would be a good course to have under your belt.

p.s. It's in Brecon so you're guaranteed a 'fun' time ha, ha! Enjoy them hills! :D
  3. Cheers RP... :)
  4. After reading the thread RP posted above, I wondered if anyone can tell me if this is going to be different to the OPTAG style package the 4 Mil trg team use for Cpl and SSgt courses?

Running up and down hills doing section attacks..... vehicle based anti-ambush drills etc....?
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. Essentially this course is designed to teach you dismounted close combat tactics, so that you can in turn instruct your unit in the same. It's an instructor course and not like PJNCO cadre or Juniors. You may be familiar to some degree or other with many of the subjects covered. There is a physical component of the course, after all you have to practice what you learn, but it really isn't that bad.

It's a fairly new course and the only reason I know anything about it is because there was a course running when whilst I was doing my Juniors and I got talking to a couple of lads who were on it whilst waiting for transport at the end of the course. They were both Regs, a gunner and a sapper, and were both very enthusiastic about the whole thing.

My only advice about Brecon is that if you have the option of Summer over Winter, take it. My enduring memory of Junior Tac was going prone and suddenly hearing a crack followed by my elbows sinking through what had been a top layer of ice and settle into a freezing puddle (along with my morale) whilst the brain-numbingly cold water spilled up against my prostrate chest. Misery.
  6. Cheers RP

I'm even more confused than normal!!!!!

Just don't see how this course fits in with 2 bde?
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I can only guess you'll be wheeled out to run your unit's Mil Skills training if and when. Do you guys do much in the way of basic soldiering type stuff?

Having been in a R.Sigs unit and seen the quality (or lack) of some of the Mil Skills instruction by certain RD bods (including PSIs), I'm bound to say that this course can be a good thing for those Corps lads who want to go on to Regt'l Duties or Recruit Training.
  8. My issue is that we do one weekend a year..... even then, I'll one of many people wanting to play....

Even if the Corp suddenly changed to supporting you boys, I can still see us carrying on as we are...
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

BCCS is not designed to allow people to support the Inf. It is designed so that non-Inf NCOs can teach the basic close combat skills that all arms and services require in order to survive in an operational theatre. It will not enable you to get your siggies conducting deliberate Bn night attacks with Mor, arty and GPMG SF in support. It will allow you to teach them basic contact drills, withdrawal in contact etc.

Granted 2 NC does not have a unit deployed role in Iraq/Afghanistan, but you should be using BCCS to ensure that those who mobilise as IRs are capable of defending themselves if ambushed or in contact doing whatever their deployed role entails. Besides, "proper soldiering" is good for morale, provides variety in training and keep the soldiers interested - if conducted properly!
  10. Cheers Duke,

Sorry what I meant to say was even if the possible proposed shift of Signals supporting Infantry more, 2 NC would probably still do little of this type of thing.

I guess it's a good idea doing this type of thing, but 4 mil training team have done a large amount of work making sure the Cpls and SSgt cse contains up-to-date drills....
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The thing is mate that unless 4 MTT are going to come round to train the Toms in your unit (who will most likely need this training more than the average SSgt) then you will have to. The AABCCS course gives you the qual to do just that.
  12. Fair point mate....

Anyone have any ideas of dates?
  13. yeah just do the course and then train all the troops back at your unit !!! lol
  14. Ha Ha!!!!!

Fatmini... hmm I wonder who you are? :)

Well hell must be frozen!!!! Because I thought that would happen before you would turn up on here!

Oh and I thought you were going to be "Yet more changes"!!!!!
  15. yeah i tried to get that user name but it wouldnt let me ?maybe it was all the laughing afterwards !!