Anyone doing a simple solar / battery / inverter set up?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know @ugly mentioned one here a few years back.

Looking to see if anyone is running a simple set up with a solar panel or two, which charge a battery which is hooked to an inverter for charging up small stuff or running some lights, etc?

My shed roof is empty and I want to start dabbling with this to see what I can manage.

Electricity can't be as dangerous as woodworking, can it??

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
You live in Scotland surely a wind turbine would be more profitable, and even more entertaining to watch you **** it up into the bargain.

Looking to see if anyone is running a simple set up with a solar panel or two, which charge a battery which is hooked to an inverter for charging up small stuff or running some lights, etc?

My shed roof is empty and I want to start dabbling with this to see what I can manage.

Most campervans use them these days to top up leisure batteries. @CrashTestDummy has one .

I am in awe of your skills, knowledge and chutzpah

One day masquerading as a Jock Plod, then trying to entrap veterans into cough to having G10 watches that are MOD property, dangling the bait to see if anyone has any of those ration packs marked -

MOD Authorised use only. Unless otherwise directed by the MOD, this ration pack and its contents remain the property of the MOD. Any unauthorised sale, dealing or other use inconsistent with the MOD`s proprietary rights is prohibited and may constitute a criminal offence

The next day pulling off an impersonation of great british craftsman - Thomas Chippendale or a competitor for John Makepiece Can you knock up some furniture like this with your £80 saw

Now you are putting Eddison to shame - I suggest that you build a Faraday cage around your shed before you go any further.

Archie

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am in awe of your skills, knowledge and chutzpah

One day masquerading as a Jock Plod, then trying to entrap veterans into cough to having G10 watches that are MOD property, dangling the bait to see if anyone has any of those ration packs marked -

MOD Authorised use only. Unless otherwise directed by the MOD, this ration pack and its contents remain the property of the MOD. Any unauthorised sale, dealing or other use inconsistent with the MOD`s proprietary rights is prohibited and may constitute a criminal offence

The next day pulling off an impersonation of great british craftsman - Thomas Chippendale or a competitor for John Makepiece Can you knock up some furniture like this with your £80 saw

Now you are putting Eddison to shame - I suggest that you build a Faraday cage around your shed before you go any further.

Archie
I am a man of many talents.

just haven't found them yet.

Them little keep left bollards have a solar panel on top, three battery cells, and a light. A few of them will provide lighting for your shed, with a bit of wiring, or alternatively dot them around your garden for some ambient evening illumination.
Solar-DuraFlex-Traffic-Bollard-Launch.jpg

Last edited:
You appear to be intent on self harming in a big big way. Seek professional help now before it is too late and somebody else has to seek paramedical help for you.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Seems to be plenty wee boats on the likes of the Caledonian Canal, they might be a good place to start.

Caravan Motorhome & Boat Kits - Sunshine Solar

I have fourteen 283kW pv panels which produce 4kW of power fed into an inverter then into two 2.4 kw pylontec ac batteries charged by a SoFar battery charger installed May last year by eco Renewables Group. Price included FIT meter, roof mounting bars and all necessary certification. Total cost £8.5k I receive FIT payments from e.on four times a year totaling £500pa. The instal took about two hours. We are both retired and use the electricity we produce during the day and the battery sees to our cooking, tv and lighting at night. We are very pleased with our purchase which has a twelve year guarante which can be exrtended to twenty yrs for £300.

Had solar installed on a few properties over here, in one surreal instance a neighbour casually knocked on the door to inform my wife that the roof was on fire!

All I can say is that there is some pretty heavy duty cable between the panels and inverter so be careful.

The camping ones are probably all restricted to around 12v and set up with cables to charge batteries but if you are looking at messing around with ex-rooftop panels wear some rubber shoes.

Unless you’ve robbed a submarine of its batteries, don’t expect to run power tools... just fitted a 1500w inverter to BILs camper,100w solar panel, 2x100ahr leisure batteries. The inverter is to run his Nespresso machine and laptop chargers. I have a pair of 100ahr batteries charged from a 250w panel (through a regulator) on the roof of my sh*d (all ‘leftover’ items) which provide 12v for lights, radio and phone charger, it’s a bit over the top for that but it’s what I had... I’ve got mains in there and a petrol genny so there's no need for any thing more complex.

I have fourteen 283kW pv panels which produce 4kW of power fed into an inverter then into two 2.4 kw pylontec ac batteries charged by a SoFar battery charger installed May last year by eco Renewables Group. Price included FIT meter, roof mounting bars and all necessary certification. Total cost £8.5k I receive FIT payments from e.on four times a year totaling £500pa. The instal took about two hours. We are both retired and use the electricity we produce during the day and the battery sees to our cooking, tv and lighting at night. We are very pleased with our purchase which has a twelve year guarante which can be exrtended to twenty yrs for £300.
Are the feed in tariffs guaranteed? They did that in Aus but they were only for a few years and not as generous as yours.

I work in the industry and had a battery installed free as a trial, it didn’t work for us as no one was home during the day and a family of 4 chewed through the battery in under 2 hours!

How long before you break even on your investment?

There are a number of bits of discussion elsewhere about solar panels but in this thread, @MrBane wants to electrocute himself with cheap renewables - he won't be wanting to spent more than 85 quid, never mind 8500.

Are the feed in tariffs guaranteed? They did that in Aus but they were only for a few years and not as generous as yours.

I work in the industry and had a battery installed free as a trial, it didn’t work for us as no one was home during the day and a family of 4 chewed through the battery in under 2 hours!
The feed in tariff scheme closed to new entrants at the end of March 2019 but for those already in it, the payments are 20 years from installation date for all systems except solar installed before August 2012 which is 25 years.

I've just installed 17kW of solar, plus two Tesla batteries. FIT where I am is OK, and the system generates more power than we use (including aircon, pool heater etc.). Happy days. Leave the fitting to qualified techs, otherwise your insurance will probably be void, as will performance warranties.

Latest Threads