Anyone claimed against a company based in Denmark?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by 4(T), Jun 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a bit of a long-shot asking here, but its amazing just how extensive the collective Arrse experience is!

I work for a prominent Danish company, but based in a far-away non-EU country. Sadly, its all gone sour over remuneration issues, and so I need to take legal action against the company - or least start proceeding in order to force them to the table to settle.

I need something like an employment tribunal (I've never used a UK version) or the equivalent of the UK Small Claims Court (which I've used successfully several times in UK).

I just wondered if anyone had experience of this sort of thing in Denmark, and could give me a few leads? I know one or two Arrsers are based in DK, and that others have worked for DK entities. Even a good DK lawyer recommendation would be appreciated.

2. Wouldnt be a 3 letter Company would it which sounds like it should be supplying tents etc??!!!

3. Hi mate

Employment law in DK is not that powerful, they tend to use unions. The way you can be fired here is amazing and you can fire people for almost no reason (flexible market they call it).

I've seen many fired here for bad reasons and very very few apeal or seem to fight.

Rich

4. Strange; I would have thought all of the Scandinavian countries would have been leading up front on the EU employment rights side.

Looks like I'll just have to find a decent Danish lawyer and have the case appraised.

5. Really? May I ask which branch you're in? I will agree that most people will take any case involving unfair dismissal, breach of employment contract etc. to their union, who will then take it further (to the courts for example).

Are/were you actually an employee of the company concerned? Or were you an external 'consultant'? If an employee, were you hired in Denmark to work in the far away country? Or hired directly in the country in which you were working?

I've been lucky enough to have avoided any major issues with any of my employers over the years, so can't give any personal recommendations. These guys may be worth contacting though: Advokatfirma Christian Harlang - Ansættelsesret

This is a quick Google translate from their webpage:

6. Hi Tartan

I cannot say who I refer to but can say its one of Denmarks biggest employees (6 years now) and my role as a manager was unfortunately firing people. I was quite surprised just how easy it was when compared to UK companies I worked when it came to layoffs. I found that you harldy had to put any sort of paperwork together and dismissal very easy. I also was involved in a few layoffs with relation to performance and I did not see requirements on things like warning, improvement plans etc. I do though hear that it is VERY different in the government sector which is very protected, but in the private world it seems quite easy.

7. Unless the amount of money is significant (plus 50k GBP as a minimum) then forget it: the cost of legal representation will soon eat up any money owed to you. This is what they are counting on (I know this as I've had the dubious pleasure of suing several entities across borders in the EU).

Try and reach a settlement through negotiation first then if that fails move on and take your revenge by stealing all their clients and sending explosive and biological devices to their HR Director and CEO through the post. They will then offer to settle as their HQ building is reduced to rubble and the few survivors have black death boils erupting over their bodies.

8. The basic claim is for about Euro 30k of remuneration not delivered, although, without going into detail, a decent lawyer should be able to expand that to include some sort of severance and compensation for the particular circumstances.

I'll drop a brief to T_Ts web lead; funnily enough their address happens to be quite close to the HQ of the company I wish to claim against!