Anyone been seen of by redundancy in Tranche 1, 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by Yorkie666, Jun 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is still a group of people made redundant very close to qualifying for the immediate pension who are still fighting the Government and MOD for fairer compensation solution for all affected and not just move the line. The MOD are still trying to ignore the issue. Just wondered if there's anyone from tranche 3 who has been seen off by the MOD? The way the redundancy package is designed it causes a huge difference in the total pension and redundancy package for the sake of 1 day of service around the qualifying point for an immediate pension. Even the senior officers who are heavily involved in the redundancy programme don't seem to acknowledge this cliff edge effect. If you want to know more see freedom of information request suggests there are 132 people affected from tranches 1 and 2.
  2. I still fail to see how people have been 'seen off' Redundancy packages were fair enough.
  3. Everyone has a different view of fair, but I would suggest the difference between a total pension and redundancy package of £140,000 (from leaving to the age of 65 when the full pension kicks in) at 17 years 364 days of service and a total pension and redundancy package of £340,000 (from leaving to the age of 65) at 18 years service for a SSgt is slightly unfair. £200,000 financial difference for 1 day of service difference.
  4. Why is it unfair? Theres a line, a requirement, if you haven't met it you don't qualify.

Discount the people who elected for redundancy - they have no say in the matter.

It's called life. It's only the ****ing greedy bastards moaning.
  5. Want to calculate how much you'd be entitled to in civvy street?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

A level 7 higher band SSGT (salary £42,464) with 18 years service starting from age 18 is entitled to a statutory minimum of £7,200 in redundancy pay.

My heart bleeds for you.
  7. All public sector pensions are being reduced, pay more, pay longer, get less.
    I've every sympathy.
  8. People have received a fair redundancy payment, in fact the MoD has been more than fair by allowing those that have completed 18 years (thats less than 90% of the AGREED contract) to receive an immediate pension.
  9. It would be considerably more than I'd get.
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

From my perspective, because you are getting a very, very good deal.

Your legal entitlement is in the order of £7,200 in the example I used above. You are not entitled to an IP until you hit the 22 year point, so any allowance made for a pension that you are not entitled to is a bonus. The fact that you fell the wrong side of the line that had been generously drawn some way below the legal requirement for the higher rate is unfortunate for you, but still very generous.

Would you be posting if the line had been drawn the "good" side of your length of service?
  11. No, thats what the x-factor is for. Your partner did not join the Army, the Army owes her fcuk all in terms of career. Seeing the places we do and doing the things we do is usually seen as a positive by us none grabbing, none greedy b@stards.

Absolute rubbish, values and standards are for you to attain, the MoD has more than fulfilled its obligation with regard to the covenant.

This is nothing but pure greed. The figures you have mentioned are incorrect - its nearer the $140k mark, but that is only realised if you both hit 65.

You neglected to mention that the SSgt having completed 17y 364d will leave with £50k more in his pocket than the SSgt who has completed 18y.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I am affected - I am one of the people who are having to pay taxes which get used to fund these redundancy packages.

They are far, far, more generous that would be made available to other public sector workers being made redundant. It is not just about cutting the numbers, it is about cutting the right numbers from the right employment groups at the right time.

The "legitimate expectation" is what the law requires to be paid, or what your contract states. Your contract states that you are entitled to an IP at the 22 year point. Anything before that is exceeding that expectation.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Because I'm honest and can see through your bullsh1t?

That makes you a greedy pig then.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. "Dingerr" has given rather more to justify his current occupation and employment status than you will ever wish to. Become better informed: it might make you want to change your opinion, or stance.