Anyone at SLB on Telic 6 at the hospital?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by chrisg46, May 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I ask this cos i have heard a rumour that a recording of a sea king crash/hard landing outside the field hospital in Sept 2005 as it brought a casualty in, is online somewhere. I haven't been able to find this as an google search on basra helicopter crashes brings up the latest lynx incident.

I was on the helicopter in question, and was wondering what it looked like from the ground. I remember a load of medics being there ready for the casualty, and lots more people turning up with cameras afterwards. I just wondered if the rumour was true, that the film does exist?

Feel free to PM, or to answer on here!

Edited to show i am not psychic....and again cos i finished a sentence too early.... :oops: :roll: :?

2. Is that a premonition? Spooky

McV

3. fook that book me some leave ..spooky ..im hoping you mean o5 mate

4. chrisg46

yup sorry, now updated it!! sorry i was half asleep when i did that!!

5. I was one of those medics on the ground! scared the s*** out of me!! the tail rotors missed us by about 20ft, I think the pilot of the other aircraft was midley peturbed as well, last seen with his head between his legs!

It looked pretty incredible from the ground, one of those surreal, 'nah, he's not really gonna do that moments' He cut his turn too tight round the aircraft already on the HLS, too fast. It looked as though he then tried to flare really hard before crossing the road but whacked his tail rotors on the ground, thats what caused it to spin after they came off.

would love to see a copy of the vid, if it exists

where you one of the force protection guys that came into our dept to get checked over?
    Never trust a man that tells you to stand in front of an incoming IRT flight!! luckily I didn't, we weren't!

6. chrisg46

i was one of the fp guys but i didnt feel the need to come in for a check up, i managed to keep hold for grim death inside. The two who had been at the back went in for whiplash, my best mate found his spine had been put out in 12 places once back home, which kind of explained why he was complaining about the pain for the rest of the tour...
    That night, we were out again on another QRF task for WIS, next day went home for R&R!!

Thanks for getting in touch though, sometimes it seemed like i imagined it all! If you remember that well, i was the big one!!

7. It is kind of weird now. within half an hour of being back in the UK it was hard to imagine ever being away, I've spoken about this on the TA forum with regard to PTSD. It is so far dislocated from normal life it is hard to believe it happened!!

8. Its funny, I've been feeling that for the past 23 years :wink:

9. chrisg46

Is there a PTSD thread?

10. I have photos of the damaged sea king that i got when i returned from mty R&R to see it sat there

11. chrisg46

I got some of it being chinooked back! Apparently the airframe was bent by the impact. Dont know of anyone who got video do you?

12. I've got a video of it being carted off, they did it early in the morning in the hopes no one would notice (and before it got too hot for those weakling chinnies). I've also got a few photos of it on the ground.

13. chrisg46

Apologies for resurrecting this one, just wanted to see if any new members might know of the video, still trying to track one down, if it exists.

Was chatting to someone the other day who apparently was sat at his desk at the SLB around that time, when a piece of rotor hurtled through one side of his tent, and out the other...