Anyone about to apply for the Paras or in the selection process?

Villa

Swinger
Thinking about applying shortly and was wondering if anyone else on here is or if anyone is in selection now.

If you've done parts of selection is there any advice you could give? Also what's the current time scale from Applying - Depot if you pass everything first time? Obviously it's like asking how longs a piece of string but it'd be good to know how long it's taken any of you who are in selection or Depot since I'm hoping to be in as soon as I can.

Cheers.

Villa

Swinger
@Bacongrills Lmao i know there is a search function if that's why you're saying "I can't be bothered" but i have not come across a thread created for anyone thinking about applying for the Paras. If I had, this thread wouldn't of been made...

@medwaymud Cheers

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thinking about applying shortly and was wondering if anyone else on here is or if anyone is in selection now.

If you've done parts of selection is there any advice you could give? Also what's the current time scale from Applying - Depot if you pass everything first time? Obviously it's like asking how longs a piece of string but it'd be good to know how long it's taken any of you who are in selection or Depot since I'm hoping to be in as soon as I can.

Cheers.
This is all you need to know, download the training program and get your trainers on.

Soldier recruiting - British Army Website

Have you watched the series PARA Platoon? It's repeated on Forces TV all the time. Shouldn't be long before it's on again. The first episode is about the recruit selection process.

Villa

Swinger
Have you watched the series PARA Platoon? It's repeated on Forces TV all the time. Shouldn't be long before it's on again. The first episode is about the recruit selection process.
Yeah I have bud however missed the Ep.1 and can't find it anywhere online.. I've watched the very old doc too which was in the 70s i think. Loved it to be fair, very good insight.

Villa

Swinger
I've just currently passed PRAC last week and had selection 2 months ago. I'll give you any advice I can give .
Congratz on the pass! Also that'd be great if you could! There's a lot of varied info on PRAC and most posts are fairly old so if you may, could you go over the main things that happened? What were your scores and which test did you personally find the toughest? Is there anything you wished you had done more prior to PRAC? Finally any other additional advice would be great!

Cheers

Rocco1

Swinger
Congratz on the pass! Also that'd be great if you could! There's a lot of varied info on PRAC and most posts are fairly old so if you may, could you go over the main things that happened? What were your scores and which test did you personally find the toughest? Is there anything you wished you had done more prior to PRAC? Finally any other additional advice would be great!

Cheers
Basically get picked from station, get your rooms sorted. Get all your kit issued that you'll use on the 3 days. Then you'll go do the 1.5 miler. Do a warm up lap with pti. There's a few hills on the run but not that bad if you've trained. Just make sure you're hanging out your arse at the end of the run. We didn't really do the ice breaker only 5 did in the corridor. Then from dinner it was free time. Second day shower, shave, water parade then to breakfast. Then get ready for the steeplechase (you will feel like you're dying on the steeplechase). Do a warm up lap with the pti. Over fences, jumping into water, running through water, running through a river over 2 miles (1.8). After the warm up you're going to be fucked and your boots are going to weight a ton as they'll be full of water. Then best effort lap, it's going to be probably one of the hardest things you've done up to now ever. Just keep running don't stop. Don't give up. Only 20 minutes of pain, you don't want to stop and have to go back like quite a lot of lads did on my course. Then shower, dinner, then we had a little brief on injury and phase 1&2. After tea we has free time again. Have to do little jobs like hoovering dorm and cleaning toilet and shower areas. Then last day, shave, shower and water parade. Breakfast. Pack away your stuff. Get ready for 5 mile fam run. To be fair I found the fam run quite easy all in all. Except the hill sprints on the land of nod and other hills like, pussy hill and bus stop lane. Just work hard on the hills you don't want to be last. But just push through it it's only 5 miles and the last test. There's a bit called centre track and the pti goes like **** just try and catch him doubt you will haha. He didn't ask us any question about the battle honours on the run like they said they would. Then shower and wait around to see had passed. If you had get your boots issued and jobs and good 'en.

Villa

Swinger
Basically get picked from station, get your rooms sorted. Get all your kit issued that you'll use on the 3 days. Then you'll go do the 1.5 miler. Do a warm up lap with pti. There's a few hills on the run but not that bad if you've trained. Just make sure you're hanging out your arse at the end of the run. We didn't really do the ice breaker only 5 did in the corridor. Then from dinner it was free time. Second day shower, shave, water parade then to breakfast. Then get ready for the steeplechase (you will feel like you're dying on the steeplechase). Do a warm up lap with the pti. Over fences, jumping into water, running through water, running through a river over 2 miles (1.8). After the warm up you're going to be fucked and your boots are going to weight a ton as they'll be full of water. Then best effort lap, it's going to be probably one of the hardest things you've done up to now ever. Just keep running don't stop. Don't give up. Only 20 minutes of pain, you don't want to stop and have to go back like quite a lot of lads did on my course. Then shower, dinner, then we had a little brief on injury and phase 1&2. After tea we has free time again. Have to do little jobs like hoovering dorm and cleaning toilet and shower areas. Then last day, shave, shower and water parade. Breakfast. Pack away your stuff. Get ready for 5 mile fam run. To be fair I found the fam run quite easy all in all. Except the hill sprints on the land of nod and other hills like, pussy hill and bus stop lane. Just work hard on the hills you don't want to be last. But just push through it it's only 5 miles and the last test. There's a bit called centre track and the pti goes like **** just try and catch him doubt you will haha. He didn't ask us any question about the battle honours on the run like they said they would. Then shower and wait around to see had passed. If you had get your boots issued and jobs and good 'en.
Quality post, enjoyed reading that, sounds right up my street! Did you not do the Press Ups, Sit Ups & Heaves?
Also what training were you doing prior, do you think I'm doing enough?

I'm currently and have been doing for a while:
3x Running Sesh (1 focus on speed (sprints), 1 on 3-5milers, 1 on 6-8milers)
3x 2hrBoxing sesh (hill sprints, bag&pad work, sparing, skipping, circuit)
3x Circuit (press,sit,pull ups),
3x Gym, 1 full body, 2 upper body.

Mon,Wed,Fri: AM-Circuit, PM-Boxing.
Tue,Thu,Sat: AM-Gym, PM-Run

Rocco1

Swinger
Quality post, enjoyed reading that, sounds right up my street! Did you not do the Press Ups, Sit Ups & Heaves?
Also what training were you doing prior, do you think I'm doing enough?

I'm currently and have been doing for a while:
3x Running Sesh (1 focus on speed (sprints), 1 on 3-5milers, 1 on 6-8milers)
3x 2hrBoxing sesh (hill sprints, bag&pad work, sparing, skipping, circuit)
3x Circuit (press,sit,pull ups),
3x Gym, 1 full body, 2 upper body.

Mon,Wed,Fri: AM-Circuit, PM-Boxing.
Tue,Thu,Sat: AM-Gym, PM-Run
Just keep it up, sounds like you'll smash it mate. I've always been good at running, so just do long distance with hills and do a bit of Fartlek. I did go to the gym but going to give it up now as I'm going in 2 months and having muscle is pointless just going to focus on running. I'd keep up the boxing though really good for keeping fit. But I didn't do a lot prior to PRAC as mine was just after Christmas so kind of slacked off which I know I shouldn't have.
We did do press ups and sit ups, sorry forgot to add that. No pulls up though. Did them straight after the 1.5. They were alright though apart from your arms are weaker due to the 1.5.
But sounds like you'll smash it mate.

Villa

Swinger
Just keep it up, sounds like you'll smash it mate. I've always been good at running, so just do long distance with hills and do a bit of Fartlek. I did go to the gym but going to give it up now as I'm going in 2 months and having muscle is pointless just going to focus on running. I'd keep up the boxing though really good for keeping fit. But I didn't do a lot prior to PRAC as mine was just after Christmas so kind of slacked off which I know I shouldn't have.
We did do press ups and sit ups, sorry forgot to add that. No pulls up though. Did them straight after the 1.5. They were alright though apart from your arms are weaker due to the 1.5.
But sounds like you'll smash it mate.
Will do lad, long way to go yet but I'll get there eventually! Defiantly will be doing them, got the sprints sessions in too so it pushes my pace a bit more and to get that nice lead legs feeling haha. That makes total sense really because what ever strength or size gain you would gain at the gym within the first 2months, you would probably lose within depot as i doubt you'll be touching weights at all! I'm just keeping it in there as I enjoy it and to get the legs nice and strong especially for PRAC. We all slack off abit around Xmas lad, just get back into whilst you can, as you know it really is quality phys. Ah sound, my bodyweight score are pretty solid to be fair so I don't really need to worry about them, just the running as I know PARAs are mega runners haha. Cheers for your input and advice mate, all the best with depot!

Rocco1

Swinger
Will do lad, long way to go yet but I'll get there eventually! Defiantly will be doing them, got the sprints sessions in too so it pushes my pace a bit more and to get that nice lead legs feeling haha. That makes total sense really because what ever strength or size gain you would gain at the gym within the first 2months, you would probably lose within depot as i doubt you'll be touching weights at all! I'm just keeping it in there as I enjoy it and to get the legs nice and strong especially for PRAC. We all slack off abit around Xmas lad, just get back into whilst you can, as you know it really is quality phys. Ah sound, my bodyweight score are pretty solid to be fair so I don't really need to worry about them, just the running as I know PARAs are mega runners haha. Cheers for your input and advice mate, all the best with depot!
Yeah just keep it up and keep motivated mate. Cheers mate I will do. Bricking it a bit now haha.

Latest Threads