anyone able to identify this scope please?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by car_key, Jan 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Actual picture attachments would be great, to counter the DII filters. Ta
  2. I think it is from a gun predictor for the 3.7" AA gun.

I could be completely wrong but, IIRC, there was series of "Telescope, bearing, Nox Mkx" from WW2 onwards, and they were all used for AA prediction. One bearing and one elevation telescope were bolted to the top of a box-like mechanical computer. Operators tracked the target using the two telescopes, then the data transferred to the mechanical computer, which in turn generated gun & fuse data.
  3. Is it a sausage-making machine?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Can't identify, but the logo is Cooke Troughton and Simms of York. Well known makers of scientific and optical instruments. Became part of Vickers Instruments.
  5. many thanks Sunami
  6. thanks to everyone for their contributions
  7. Another thought. There is a seller on E-bay called "ticktock58", sells reprinted manuals for all sorts of old optical equipment, sextants, theodolites etc. Might be worth asking.
  8. It's a "Telescope, Bearing No14 Mk3" I think.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. are we allowed to ask for a pic of the OP's norks in this forum?

by the way, I think it's an experimental sight for a 60W photon laser pistol
  10. From the paint job, looks like post war...

I think there used to be bearing telescopes mounted on the radar heads of the T'bird missile system.. looks to be about the right vintage..
  11. Many moons ago I had one of those very fellows in my sweaty mits, in a neat wooden case, legend had it that it belonged to an Vickers A.A. Predictor / director used alongside the .40mm Bofors which was still in use until the late 1980s. I never saw the predictor, it had been backloaded.

There are very few pictures of the Vickers predictor out there, probably because it was unloved and a ******* pig to carry, if you google image septic M7 and M9 Artillery directors you'll get the idea. The British vickers 1920s technology was handed to the septics, in particular to the company "Sperry," early in the war, because they couldn't hit shit!
    • Like Like x 1

12. Found this on Wiki, shows a similar sight fixed to the side: