Anybody remember this?

Used to make a fortune as CIVPOP in that chippy!

Attachments

Christ on a bike that takes me back a bit. The corner shop to the left of the two guys, I can remember myself and a mate bumping an RE patrol from the back garden of that place then running back inside, stashing our gats, then sitting by the road outside supping from cans of Tennants as the RE guys bimbled past trying to figure out where the hit had come from. Oh the joys of youth!!

It certainly is Killymurphy. Went through it three times as SF and once as CIVPOP - I know which was the most enjoyable! Pretty sure it's just a smudge on the Sennelager Google Earth page now..........

Still, there were lots of petrol bombs around!

Attachments

It certainly is Killymurphy. Went through it three times as SF and once as CIVPOP - I know which was the most enjoyable! Pretty sure it's just a smudge on the Sennelager Google Earth page now..........

Still, there were lots of petrol bombs around!
Top road, final riot!

I remember that all the previous riots used 'killymurphy' bricks.

I can remember a certain member of the DS dressed as a priest when the riots took place encouraging us to get shed loads of the coal briquettes gathered and then teaching us the right way to throw them for maximum damage

I can remember a certain member of the DS dressed as a priest when the riots took place encouraging us to get shed loads of the coal briquettes gathered and then teaching us the right way to throw them for maximum damage
If you were OIC CIVPOP then you were also the 'Priest' to the Godforsaken flock of Killymurphy, guided by the godless bastards of NITAT(BAOR). I have a BW photo somewhere of me in a cassock presiding over a 'burial' service followed by whipping the scum into a frenzy followed by much brick chucking.

Photography was, of course, forbidden.......

The 'can' bar! You could come out steaming as CivPop and start on the patrols!

Sinn Fein office across the road!
Ha yeah , I experianced that on both sides of the fence. Also made me laugh was the amount of 58 sleeping bags hanging out the houses windows to dry out after a good session the night before.

LT

Remember coming out the can bar one night, a group of us, well oiled & approached by a member of NITAT who asked if we,d like to tip over a van, torch it & throw a few things at a patrol.. well talk about waving a red flag at a bull. A pile of coal was left conveniatly nearby & the fun & games began.. I remember my bezzer bending down to pick up some coal infront of me & unfortunatly (for him) he stood up just as I launched my lump with some velocity at the 1 BW ( I think) patrol. There was a sickining CRACK followed by much screaming , swearing & questioning of my parentage follwed a few hours later by 6 stitches. He still aint forgot about that to this day some 24 years later. Ollie let it lie son.. I know your readin this. :)

LT

Good post, had some giggles there, i remember one serial i was part of an undercover team that had just ambushed some baddies who had robbed i think it was a betting shop, on that street, we were in civvies but with ARMY base ball caps on and the QRF came screaming around the corner, saw us all armed with Armalites and gunned down half the street, even though we had raised our arms and were shouting Army at the tops of our voices :) epic fail by the brick cmdr

Also the RPG shoot, but one of the cmdrs having been there several times pre-empted it, so as soon as we popped up from behind a wall he slammed into reverse and backed straight into the LR behind him causing both to stall in the street so the RPG round was a hit instead of a miss, as per the serial, and a full blown riot errupted on the 2 trapped lannies

And the scariest is the shotgun through a door as a patrol passes, out the back into a gettaway car and away, shocking how easy it was to do!

I remember none of civpop wanted to be proddies :)

Ha yeah , I experianced that on both sides of the fence. Also made me laugh was the amount of 58 sleeping bags hanging out the houses windows to dry out after a good session the night before.

LT
Yes, but you just got shit loads of coal and had a lovely warm fire in your allocated house...I even had a car (Audi 80) skidding around the village.

I remember once, a patrol member was perched outside the SF office, the door opened slightly and he was dragged in...mega!

Or being told as civpop not to pick up any mags left lying around as they were booby trapped, lad on civpop sees a couple of grot mags on a bin lid, picks them up and off they go, DS 'we told you not to pick up any mags left lying around',' i thought you meant weapon mags!!!' replies scared shitless civpop lad

I photographed this but never read it - until today!

Attachments

Anybody remember doing civpop in the ruined church? It had no roof and we used to sit around BFO bonfires drinking Asbach of an evening. We found a skull nearby, one of the black tinned veg lads was petrified of it and would run like a man posessed if you chased him while holding it. One of the lads wanted to spray it silver and put it on the front of the Rover but someone remembered there had been a murder recently and we handed it over to the monkeys.
Happy days.

That does bring back memories of 1987. Spent 3 weeks there as some paddy low life.
Used to bomb around the town in my mates battered yellow Cortina hoping to be stopped by the "Brit scum". SF patrols coming haring out of "Fort Knight".
Riots every Friday afternoon, pelting the squaddies with "Murphy bricks". Then collecting them up afterwards to heat your home.
I remember opening fire on a foot patrol from an upstairs window with and AK47, then downstairs somebody takes your gun, hides it in a coal bunker and your out the back garden gate, just another Joseph Civvie. It went to show how easy it actually was to change from terrorist to just being another "innocent" member of the public.

Remember it ? .............I built it !!
Well...me and a Mobile Civilian Engineering Group, Mobile Civilian Artisan Group and a platoon of Chunkies did anyway.
As I was the only unmarried Engineering Surveyor in 522 STRE and the job was 2 hours drive from Willich I got sent off for a year to look after the project.
Bloody marvellous it was too.My own boss, no Regimental duties, finish work around 2pm and then straight down to the Parachute Centre at Bad Lippespringe for the rest of the day.
Happy days

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Blues & Royals (significantly plus 16/5L) went there January 1979 from Detmold. 15/19H being at Paderborn, we were volunteered to provide CivPop for them. There was seriously deep snow. We shifted a lot of coal to keep those thin-walled "houses" somewhere close to zero degrees.

Incidents, there were many:

A mucker was "an estate agent showing me (and my M16) around an empty house." Looking out of the window, waiting for our designated target patrol to visit at the designated time for me to shoot at them, another patrol came from another direction, the switched-on commander clocked my mukker and they came to investigate. Dave opened the door to them while I was stood behind it, M16 in hand, fist down throat trying not to laugh out loud. Good drills and good Norn Iron accent Dave.

A gunman engaged a patrol, ran in my front door, handed me the M16, which I planted under the "bed" for the search team's benefit while he ran out the back and off into the distance. Patrol came in right behind him. I smiled sweetly and denied everything. They "searched", found nothing. DS looks at me as if to say "Did you plant the rifle?" I nodded. They found nothing. DS: "Have you looked under the bed?" A Pig arrived and I was nicked, mate. Brummy lad (16/5L) grinned at me, "You'll be going down for 20 years you bastard." Whisked off to the fort, "Good action, well carried out, stop, rest, have a cup of tea." 20 minutes later I was back at the house as the patrol went home. Brummie's face was less than impressed when I waved at him as he went by.

I had taken my ghetto blaster with me. Because we knew what was going down and when, whenever a patrol raced down the street in response to an incident, Dave Clarke Five's "Catch Us If You Can" always seemed to be belting out. Always got funny looks from the patrol as it went by.

One night 2 in the morning, Dave and I took one of the cars out round the outside of the wriggly-tin boundary wall along with a GPMG and a belt of blank. The drill was to loose off the belt, launch the GPMG over the wall where it would be collected and removed. We'd scoop up a handful of empty cases to dump in the footwell, drive back into town and be stopped and searched. Problem: there was four foot of snow outside the wall. Hot 7.62 cases cut through the virgin snow like a knife through butter. Oh how we larfed. We drove back into town and sure enough we got stopped and searched. Nothing. The DS looked at me. You know what his look said ... "Have you looked in the rear footwell?" "No."

Do you see a pattern developing?

Every evening we ate in the fish and chip shop and then retired to the bar next door where the RHG/D CivPop sang their rebel songs and we sang our northern rebel songs until a few minutes before a patrol was due to pass RHG/D QM (OC CivPop, priest as noted by others in their replies) made us switch to Rebublican songs. Oh what a larf.

I had been accused of a criminal offence before Christmas and SIB were determined to nail me for it (eventually the guilty bastard slipped up and I was cleared). One day I was summoned from the exercise to be interviewed without coffee by the SIB at their HQ at Sennelager.

The SSGT got fed up, "I have dinner to go home to and you are wasting my time. I know where to find you. **** off out of my sight."

I returned to Salamander Anti-Tank Range in a mood of great depression. Walked down the main drag while Dave parked up the car. Walked into a patrol. My character was MR Flynn and I'd been knee-capped years before. I had a pronounced limp. But not as I returned from the SIB. The patrol commander stopped me. "Hello Mr Flynn. What's happened to your limp?"

"**** off and die, I am not playing your stupid games."

"And your Irish accent!"

Arguably the best exercise I ever did.

Remember it ? .............I built it !!
Well...me and a Mobile Civilian Engineering Group, Mobile Civilian Artisan Group and a platoon of Chunkies did anyway.
As I was the only unmarried Engineering Surveyor in 522 STRE and the job was 2 hours drive from Willich I got sent off for a year to look after the project.
Bloody marvellous it was too.My own boss, no Regimental duties, finish work around 2pm and then straight down to the Parachute Centre at Bad Lippespringe for the rest of the day.
Happy days
Tropper walt.