Anybody need a Butler

Preferably UK based (too much to ask for in the NW)
Everything has gone pear shaped and I am unemployed.
CV available to serious potential employers.
Not in the mood for wind ups.
Thank you.

Thanks for the help but I am all over the butler sites like a rash.
The recruitment agencies tend to lie about their positions to get you on their books. I am on Greycoats books but give them a wide berth due to the way they fill a position for the money (15% of starting salary) rather than the right person for the right job. I am a member of 3 Butlers guilds and they are okay but work is a little thin at the moment. I have worked in 2 military households and found them the most fitting to my skills so I thought I would check on here.
Again though Thank you every little helps.
The shoe shine is keeping me going at the mo. :wink:

"...occasionally other staff may use a bedroom overnight" in your grace-and-favour residence on Ali bin-Raghead's estate, for Goodness' sake. Jeezus, you should see what us high-class security prostitutes have to put up with.

Whiskybreath said:
"...occasionally other staff may use a bedroom overnight" in your grace-and-favour residence on Ali bin-Raghead's estate, for Goodness' sake. Jeezus, you should see what us high-class security prostitutes have to put up with.
I once turned down a position on the Mountbatten Estate because the accommodation was not up to standard. Good enough they got me a nice 3 Bedroom rent free flat overlooking the park so I changed my mind.
These people want staff of a certain calibre they cannot expect them to rough it thee days. My last house was very nice, spacious and decorated well. 100 years ago all the male staff lived in it. 200 years ago it was a laundry.

How about the back pages of Country Life and The Lady magazines. If I recall correctly these used to have vacancies listed of the sort you`re after.

Most recent Country Life only lists one butler position, and that's:

Travelling Butler
Based Lebanon, discretion essential, travel throughout Europe, valet and organisational skills, team player. Salary negotiable, all found. Previous experience required and some driving required. CRB essential.

Other ads ask for :

Exp. couple in Hampshire, estate manage + housekeeper/family cook

Cook//housekeeper (Two of these, but not quite your cup of tea I feel...)

So not a great haul there.

slick said:
How about the back pages of Country Life and The Lady magazines. If I recall correctly these used to have vacancies listed of the sort you`re after.
That is true. I remember feeling dirty flicking through the Lady mag in WH Smiths. :roll:

jarrod248 said:
Hi Butler, hope you find something soon.
Thanks.
I was half hoping not to have to move away from Liverpool for a bit as my Dad is on his last legs but if I have to do what is necessary to feed my family and unlike a lot of people I see where I live I cannot survive on benefits.

the_butler said:
slick said:
That is true. I remember feeling dirty flicking through the Lady mag in WH Smiths. :roll:
Certainly the Lady used to be good for such posts, Mrs Maxi was a housekeeper before she retired and got more than one job throuugh the Lady.

maxi_77 said:
the_butler said:
slick said:
Certainly the Lady used to be good for such posts, Mrs Maxi was a housekeeper before she retired and got more than one job throuugh the Lady.
My First Butlers job was through the MOD's SRB's but the second one I got was by reading the Lady. I applied for a job from a newly started up agency called Greycoats. They are quite big now

Have you had a look at or contacted the UK based yacht crew companies. Their clients sometimes ask them to fill land based positions. Just a thought and different angle for you.

Best of luck!

Took a bit of time but I am sorted now and start on Monday.
Thank you to everyone that offered help and advice.
phew, one more week and the car would have had to go.

Glad to hear you are sorted butler :) If anyone else looking there is a job advertised in Metro today for butler at the Brazilian Embassy paying £2300 pcm!!!!!!! I think I will re-train.........

I wish you he very best of luck old son. I would have thought that British Butlers would have been in high demand in the United States.
There are a few making a decent living down here here with the Diplomatic people, problem is of course, the old egalitarian ethos kicks in.
PS, my best boots are looking terrific thanks to you. :wink:

basso said:
I wish you he very best of luck old son. I would have thought that British Butlers would have been in high demand in the United States.
There are a few making a decent living down here here with the Diplomatic people, problem is of course, the old egalitarian ethos kicks in.
PS, my best boots are looking terrific thanks to you. :wink:
Thank you.
I was trying to get a job close to my Dad as he needs moderate looking after these days so t first I was looking local (NW) which is not a good area for a Butler to be looking. Elsewhere I usually have the pick of the jobs and have worked for some fantastic people.
I managed to get a job just around the corner from where I live but it means I will now be Butlerwalting on ARRSE as my new job is as a tutor.
They liked my lesson plan skills and now I will be helping long term unemployed people to get the confidence and skills they need to get back into the workplace.
People skills of a different kind.
I will be helping with CV writing Job searching skills and best of bit, confidence building days in Wales. (logs, barrels, spaghetti & teamwork)

Looks like they were more interested in my military than culinary skills.

Glad I could help with the bulling skills also cheers bud.

thebutlerdidit said:
Just so that you dont have to hide in WH Smiths to ready the lady. some adverts appear on their website which is at:

http://lady2.bridgewater.it/modules/myAds/onlineads.php?section=SDSU

Also found that Gumtree websites also do some domestic positions.

Glad u got it sorted out.
Nice link, I have added that along with my guilds, Greycoats and BUTBOOK
Cheers.
The joy of a Butlers trade is when everyone else retires at 60, You and I will be in our optimal employability. Not only being the part but looking it too (how people perceive Butlers anyway.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
STAB2ARABConverter The Training Wing 5
E Infantry 5
C Infantry 0