Anybody got Colonial Marines yet?

Thread resurrection time:

The original game is pants. However, there is a fan mod (712mb) that fixes most of the faults. Not just that, but the reason for the one of the biggest flaws in the game (the crap AI that makes the Aliens look dumb) has been traced to a spelling error in an .ini file: tether spelt as teather, which affected the AI controlling where the Aliens spawned and "hunted".

The games, plus all 8 addons/expansions and DLC was available for £2.49 over the weekend from fanatical.com Whether its worth even £2.49 is subjective, I bought it because it was cheap :)

This fixes some the crap AI issues but doesn't seem to turn it into that magical demo that was shown. And while I agree Templar's overhaul mods do make the game look far far better than what was released nothing will change how utterly crap the story/voice acting was.

The game was an absolute turd and no matter how much modders try and polish it, it's still a turd underneath.

The real shame is that because of ACM there was an Obsidian Aliens RPG game cancelled and I doubt we'll see another Aliens themed shooter for a long time.

I stand corrected, there is one under development!

There was another game, from the viewpoint of "newt", cant remember what it was called, will google in a mo (edit: Alien: Isolation - not played, must keep an eye out for it)

Whats the new game? linky linky

Still play the odd bout of AvP and AvP2.... and wish I hadn't sold my Atari Jaguar all those years ago, as that was a good Aliens game. Heck, Aliens on the C64 was good - the Electric Dreams version, not the Activision 'arcade' version. Never completed it, even with the map I dont think I ever got further than the start of the middle section. Seems so easy now; freeze frame the game to avoid having to restart from the beginning!

edit: correct console for the console version... doh!
edit2: Good god, AvP PC is 19 years old. I really must buy the reboot game.

Last edited:
Even the old Amiga Alien Breed 3D rips Colonial Marines to shreds and that was a Alien inspired Quake rip off from the early 90s

I still think Half Life is hard to beat for AI in a single player game

Even the old Amiga Alien Breed 3D rips Colonial Marines to shreds and that was a Alien inspired Quake rip off from the early 90s

I still think Half Life is hard to beat for AI in a single player game
Ah, but Alien Breed and Alien Bread 92 Special Edition, Alien Breed II, Tower Assault were - and still are- plain awesomeness; just pure, full-on frantic gameplay, and audio effects. Still have the original Amiga disks (havent owned a physical Amiga since 2007), got it on iPad... even the PC version is ok.

I was very almost an extra in the Tower Assault CD32 CD FMV cutscenes: I knew Martin and the guys at Team17 from doing some reviews for AUI, and work with Siamese System, and was invited down to advise on military tactics (just down the road, I was in Ripon at the time). Sadly had to deploy to Bosnia just before filming was due. Great times, great games.

It wasn't a Quake rip-off; Alien Breed came out out five years before Quake. A:B was a top-down shooter, Quake was a first-person 3D shooter. It also preceded Doom (first person 2D shooter) and Duke Nuke'Em 3D. Duke was originally a sideways scroller shoot'em up. I don't recall anything on the PC similar, or anything prior on the 8bit computers, either.

I meant Alien Breed 3D which came out after Quake, it was fully 3D came a lot later at the end of life of the Amiga really and you needed a modded Amiga to run it well, ie at least a 68030 processor, and 16 meg or ram minimum

Aye, remember it - used about 1/3 of the screen estate in an attempt to make it vaguely playable on an '020 A1200.

An '030? I had an A1200 with 060, an A4000 with a WarpEngine 040 and Picasso IV, and another with a Cyberstorm PPC/060 and C64-3D card. It didn't run really well on any of them, mainly due to a, um, 'bug' in that it used the [horribly slow] chipmem instead of fastmem (or even slowmem!), so even though it was benefiting from faster code execution, the memory waits were killing performance.

From what I remember, it was patched a few years ago, and performance improved, to about 15ps on an '060 :D

I did think about looking to see if there is a WHDLoad version and see what its like under WinUAE, both on timing-accurate 030/040/060 emulation, and "fast as possible" emulation. But I've spent most of my free time tweaking Alien v Predator 2 to work 'properly' on Win7 64bit, and experimenting with the various replacement texture packs and reshade to improve the visual effects.

I guess I could just buy the 2010 reboot, but thats too easy :D

I wonder how long it would take Rebellion to port either the original 1999/2001 AvP game, to VR...

because the atmosphere in those games, especially AvP2, was superb - it's unnerving playing that game in 2D at night. The exact same game, same atmosphere, in VR, would be pant-staining :)

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
There was another game, from the viewpoint of "newt", cant remember what it was called, will google in a mo (edit: Alien: Isolation - not played, must keep an eye out for it)
This is worth a watch -

Yes, I remember that disappointment well, and the slating I and others got on Arstechnica for pointing that out.