Anybody got Colonial Marines yet?

The aliens pop like water balloons, the acid for blood does nothing, the AI is retarded and the story is average.

Not tried multiplayer yet but it's a rental job or wait for a cheap pre-owned copy if you want to play it for nostalgia reasons. The pulse rifles sounds awesome though and the smartguns are fun for a bit.

Arse. Was hoping it would be mega.

Will wait for 2nd hand then....

Don't say Space Marines-Games Workshops lawyers will be after you....

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
On order - heard that single player campaign isn't up to much, but might be worth giving co-op or mutiplayer a bash!

I'm awaiting it's arrival via Lovefilm on rental.

What I've seen of gameplay so far, it looks pretty average. The Aliens seemed to go down after a short burst of Pulse Rifle rounds. I'm not holding my breath on this being much cop, to be honest.

Pile of crap, no suspense, dodgy AI, awful texture problems on console, aliens go down in two-three hits and to cap it off the campaign is all of six hours long

Got this on Tuesday, can confirm that graphics ain't up to much,as in they're terrible, parts where you fight against human enemies are a bit shit, alien AI is pretty bad as well. Story, meh, bit pants tbh but it can be great fun online, can get so frantic you stop noticing the other issues.

Hoping they do a bit of work on it to polish up some areas and I'd like to see more online modes to stop it getting stale, oh, and host migration, what game doesn't have that these days???

It and the Last Of Us were the only things I was really building up to this year :(

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Stolen shamelessly from Eurogamer:

"How many games is this for you, Gearbox?"
"Thirty eight... simulated."
"How many *decent* games?"
"Uh, two. Not including this one."

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
whose territory where they stealing that time?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
AvP was and is much better.
+1.

I've been waiting years for this (remember when it was supposed to be out just a little while after Sega's AVP in 2009? I've moved house twice since then ffs.)

had this on pre-order for delivery day of release, and...it's poor. I was running across ammo and health pickups, tapping 'use' for all I was worth, and then **finally** the game engine agreed yes, I was standing in the right position to pick them up after all.

sometimes the xeno's go down in two or three shots...other time, I was emptying a couple of magazines at them and they were still coming. there's no atmosphere, it feels like it's on rails...it struck me it's like watching a long cutscene with some random mouse pressing. it almost seems like it's just down to chance if you make it or not.

multiplayer seems quite good from the xeno pov...but anytime I take to the walls it becomes uncontrollable and I found myself going backwards and sideways (???) instead of forwards. thus removing one of the whole advantages/sides of playing a xeno. as a marine, you're now faced with xeno's who can can take you out by gobbing an acid shot at you from dozens of yards away (wtf?) before they're even remotely in range.

the graphics are patchy, the physics engine is dodgy, there are some glaring errors to trainspotters like myself, and the game is as devoid of atmosphere and tension as a 24-hour 'terry and june' marathon...I'm consoling (geddit??) myself with the fact I only paid £25 for the PC version. if I'd paid £40 for the 360 or PS3 version I'd be **pissed off**.

interesting, but sadly unsurprising commentary from one of the game team here - A lot of you are (rightfully) upset at the final product that is A:CM. Maybe I can shed some light as to how it got the way it is. : LV426

please, everyone, avoid this game. if you're a fan like me wait till it's in the '3 for £10' section in Game (which wont be long if you ask me...although it's an interesting question 'will it get there before Game go bust again??') or you see a cheap one s/h for the console. it's poor, and no amount of patching will save it afaics. (I understand there was a 105mb patch for the ps3 version day of release to deal with issues...)

I say we take off and nuke the entire Gearbox office from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure they dont release pish like this again.

+1.

I've been waiting years for this (remember when it was supposed to be out just a little while after Sega's AVP in 2009? I've moved house twice since then ffs.)

had this on pre-order for delivery day of release, and...it's poor. I was running across ammo and health pickups, tapping 'use' for all I was worth, and then **finally** the game engine agreed yes, I was standing in the right position to pick them up after all.

sometimes the xeno's go down in two or three shots...other time, I was emptying a couple of magazines at them and they were still coming. there's no atmosphere, it feels like it's on rails...it struck me it's like watching a long cutscene with some random mouse pressing. it almost seems like it's just down to chance if you make it or not.

multiplayer seems quite good from the xeno pov...but anytime I take to the walls it becomes uncontrollable and I found myself going backwards and sideways (???) instead of forwards. thus removing one of the whole advantages/sides of playing a xeno. as a marine, you're now faced with xeno's who can can take you out by gobbing an acid shot at you from dozens of yards away (wtf?) before they're even remotely in range.

the graphics are patchy, the physics engine is dodgy, there are some glaring errors to trainspotters like myself, and the game is as devoid of atmosphere and tension as a 24-hour 'terry and june' marathon...I'm consoling (geddit??) myself with the fact I only paid £25 for the PC version. if I'd paid £40 for the 360 or PS3 version I'd be **pissed off**.

interesting, but sadly unsurprising commentary from one of the game team here - A lot of you are (rightfully) upset at the final product that is A:CM. Maybe I can shed some light as to how it got the way it is. : LV426

please, everyone, avoid this game. if you're a fan like me wait till it's in the '3 for £10' section in Game (which wont be long if you ask me...although it's an interesting question 'will it get there before Game go bust again??') or you see a cheap one s/h for the console. it's poor, and no amount of patching will save it afaics. (I understand there was a 105mb patch for the ps3 version day of release to deal with issues...)

I say we take off and nuke the entire Gearbox office from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure they dont release pish like this again.
I have no idea what your post says....just leaving Matron!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

As others have said, the A.I basically acts like an octogenarian with a keyboard (stiff and unresponsive), the aliens don't vary tactics or attacks just try to swipe you incessantly. The marine A.I fares no better as supposedly it'll have the motion tracker out rather than a weapon when attacked in addition to shite pathfinding (blocking doorways). Enemies can spawn out of thin air which ruins the immersion and again there's vary little tension or suspense because of the awkward behaviour and horrible implementation of the A.I. I got this all from watching a playthrough on YouTube. The Xbox version I watched had fairly sub-standard graphics which looked five years out of date. Unfortunately this happened with the last Duke Nukem game. They've been in development hell for years on end that everything looks outdated and because of a rush to get it done it lacks finesse and with the calibre of the IP, you'd expect nothing short of "outstanding!" as the say in the USMC/USCM. Perhaps there was just too much expectation but you have to agree that they should not have huffed this up. The shame is it's a direct sequel to Aliens and while it gets off on the right foot in the first 20 minutes, it just loses it after that.

I say stick to AvP [2010] (although AvP2 was awesome for the PC).

I like it, it has been patched already, and I is fairly easy to beat, but its a good fun downtown earth shoot em up/rip there heads off. Online is a blast, it's great playing both sides, and the coop is a good bit of time wasting. It isn't as great as it could have been but so far so good