• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

any1 no what is going on in iraq

hi all,
i am worried my husband is in iraq and i am really worried about him is it still bad out there? he is in al alamah and i was wondering if any1 could give me some information?
thanks xx

Speak to your Families' Officer.
You won't get much concrete information from here, other than people saying "It's pretty hot there during the day and pretty cold during the night", and I'm sure your husband will have told you all about OPSEC a while ago.

cheesypoptart said:
I'm sure your husband will have told you all about OPSEC a while ago.
If youre a journo or a spotty student I doubt you would know. If not my humblest apologies :D

im sorry if u all think that i am lying but my husband really is in iraq and i cant contact my welfare officer as he is never in his office and i am really worried i just thought that some one might be able to give me some advice thats all

sophie2501 said:
alberta gardens near the haig centre
She's either real or a journalist who actually does some research about the Forces (and we all know what the chances of that are).

Not sure what's happening out there anymore, it was quiet when I came home (end of October last year), but anything could have happened since then. Most of the trouble then seemed to be centred round the Septics in Baghdad, Basra only really kicked off in the summer when the Yanks started attacking mosques in Fallujah, although there was always enough going on to keep it "interesting". Al-Amarah was worse than Basra, but (again) I've got no idea what's happening up there anymore either.

If the Families Officer isn't in his office, speak to another SNCO or Officer from the Sqn/Bn/Regt, someone should be able to tell you something. The Toms should have been told not to say anything to families if they call (stopping bollox rumours spreadin), so you won't be able to just call the Guardroom. TBH, you're best bet is not to worry unless you're given a reason to worry (and I know how hard that is).

As a last resort, the Guardroom should have a pager or mobile number for the Families Officer, so they should be able to get hold of him and get him to contact you if you really have to speak to him.

Your husband is safe and sound, i know its hard but try and put it out off your mind..Take each day as it comes.

My wifes advise is "do not watch the news" and instead wait to you hear from him yourself.

No one thinks you are lying, however, op security as you know is for everyone's safety.
Being TA. It was a big shock for my wife but she handled it great as will you.

It is hard on all spouses being male or female but try not to worry.

Sometimes communications are down so if he says he will ring you on a certain day but does not, do not worry it will be out of his control.
Hope this helps.

Si

Dear Sophie,

I don't know how the community support is with your husband's unit. There'll be many fellow spouses in the same predicament. Hopefully, the spouse of your husband's Commanding Officer is organising get-togethers, etc. That person would also be a good person to contact, or the RSM's spouse.

Since guys at Battalion HQ will often have a greater chance of contacting their families back home, their spouses should have their finger on the pulse, so to speak.

By speaking to your fellow spouses, you'll also get a chance to ascertain as to whether your Welfare Officer is any good. It's one thing if the guy is out of the office to visit families, and another if he's back with his family. He might have a mobile number to answer questions.

I presume your welfare office has several people in it - including civilians and wives in the same situation as yourself. Again, good people to talk to.

sophie2501 said:
Have you got an 'OMO' packet in the kitchen window?

Sophie,

Rest assured, your other half is okay.

In terms of communication, the mobile phone network out here is pants as it has so little power / capability and Al Amarrah is pretty basic.

As has been mentioned before, most of the action is up here in Baghdad and even further north towards Mosul (time for you to crack out an Iraq map).

If you want any more info / reassurance, PM me and I can elaborate - being in Baghdad surrounded by 20,000 Septics has the advantage of knowing where to ask the right questions.

I can reassure Sophie that she should not be concerned. Those who know me will know that I am in a good position to know.

If Sophie is having difficulties locating her UWO (probably in M&S buying more cartoon-character ties), then the Garrison Chaplain will certainly be able to help.

it is often difficult for people at the front to either get contact back or say anything about conditions for security reasons, or sometimes they areso tired they prefer to sleep rather than speak/write to folks at home - they have other priorities on their mind. dont worry about that as it is normal in all campaigns.

i always briefed my wife and family that the only time to worry was when you had two visitors arrive at the house eg families officer and padre together in patch or police if in civi area remote from unit.

the advice worked fine for many years on ops until two civi coppers arrived at mothers house (my declared formal residence when still single). conversation went:
Mother: is it about my son XXXXX?
Copper: yes.
mother collapses and coppers highly shocked!!
they were only calling round to do the 3 year review on firearm certificate!!

oh well - no plan survives first contact with the enemy :oops:

Antichef,
like it, i should not laugh but i could just imagine the coppers face.

And yes thats what i said to my wife (If two bods from my REGT turn up its time to worry and not before.)

walla

jimmys_best_mate said:
Which set of houses you in Sophie?

(This should sort out if she's real or a journo, I moved off Bulford Camp 3 months ago so she can't lie)
That's the weakest excuse I've ever heard - you should be ashamed of yourself!

hackle said:
Queensman said:
sophie2501 said:
Have you got an 'OMO' packet in the kitchen window?
Not one of your better ones, Queensman.
Hackle,
Yep. You're right. Sorry. Sophie may be genuine: if she is, her husband's unit should be ashamed if they are not looking after the 'B Echelon' properly.

I was just chancing my arm, as I only live round the corner and fancied a shag! Happy memories of soap packets on the patch back in Omagh many years ago - sailing close to the wind, but excellent pickings for us singlies!!