Any vegetarians out there?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Jorrocks, Mar 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For my sins, my under-the-thumb brother and his vegetarian wife are coming out to stay with us for Easter. The wife is a veggie. Now I have no qualms about serving her a plate of greens while we tuck into fillet steak, however I´m told that this is not diplomatic. So I need some ideas for veggie family meals that meat eaters might enjoy. By the way, she´s not vegan and will eat fish, but not shell fish.

2. Get her to eat your c.. oh sorry this isn't the NAAFI (oops).

3. Vegetable thai green curry is always a good one; easy to do and delicious.

4. Bugger diplomacy: prepare a menu with some form of sinew in every dish.

Then empty a jar of Hellmans onto the lawn and announce that the freak's lunch is ready.

5. Tuna Steak ... easy on the tuna? Well, very easy on the tuna and perhaps a trifle heavy on the cow? No?

(image of Kryton first saying 'smeghead') kw ... kw ... kw ... quorn?

Pasta starter and/or 4-bean broth .

Vegetable chilli or curry - some of those can be very reasonable. Plenty of decent fish recipes about.

6. The bold above always baffles me about veggies, bet she wears leather shoes as well.

WTF has she got against shell fish?

Can't help with the food, I'm normal.

7. Obviously a veggie curry is always a good alternative. But try sliced and fried tatties with fried onions mixed in with baked beans. Another good scoff is mashed tatties, fried onions and mushrooms, also with baked beans if desired. Then again, you could make wholemeal spaghetti bolognese with red, white and brown lentils (or any other combination of the colours) instead of that meat mash stuff, or whatever it's called.

Paprikas (red and yellow) hollowed out and filled with veggies, mushrooms, diced and fried tatties - even bit of fish, if you're inclined, should give you a few other options, just to keep things from becoming boring scoff-wise.

MsG

8. Have you tried Quorn?

You can get it as mince, fillets, or pretend meat.

It tastes nothing like meat, but can be made to taste good.

9. Firstly, I'd like to make it clear that I am not a veggie, but I found myself in a similar situation! I found this, made it, and it's actually a bit tasty!

Cashew nut Chilli

Ingred:

1 tin kidney beans
    2onions chopped finely
    4cloves of garlic chopped finely
    2green peppers chopped
    2celery sticks chopped

2tablespoons ground cumin
    1tablespoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1/2 teaspoon dill

1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    3tins chopped toms
    medium sized pack of natural cashew nuts
    2teaspoons red wine vinegar

1. fry off the onions and garlic in a large pan, after a few mins add the green pepper and celery, fry until the veg starts to soften, but make sure it still has a 'bite'.

2. add the herbs, spices and black pepper and get it all mixed in good and proper.

3. add the toms and kidney beans, let it come to the boil and then let it simmer.

4. toast the cashew nuts in the oven..... BE REALLY CAREFUL THEY DONT BURN!! usually about 20mins on a gas mark 4/5..... I dont have an electric oven, so no idea what temp that would be im afraid! Once they're toasted add them to the chilli and mix it all up again.

5. add the red wine vinegar, and leave to simmer till the beans are nice and soft.

6. serve with a jacket potato, rice, pasta, eat on its own etc, and enjoy!

10. Serve 'em Minced beef done up in a nice bolognaise sauce with Pasta, tell 'em its minced tofu, I bet they tell you how nice it is!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

11. Veggie casserole, pissy easy to make.
    Veggie curry, also piss easy to make.
    Falafel, fecking yummy.
    There's tons of stuff, mainly asian/middle eastern.

12. Loving that idea MUCH better. Don't tell her till a few days have gone at least so she can't throw it back up again.

P.S Why is the silly cow "vege" but eats fish? That's called being a picky slut, not vegetarian. Vegan is not touching anything related to animals aswell ie milk, eggs, cheese etc.

13. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Carpaccio of Tuna Steak

500g/1lb 2oz top quality tuna loin
    crushed pepper
    dried chilli flakes
    plain oil
    rocket leaves
    canned chopped tomatoes
    chopped chilli
    sugar syrup (110g/4oz sugar dissolved in 110ml/4fl oz water )
    1 lemon
    olive oil
    Method

1. Rub the trimmed tuna loin with oil and roll in the crushed pepper and chilli.
    2. Sear in a hot dry non-stick pan for 2 minutes on each side.
    Set aside in the fridge to chill.
    3. After 30 minutes take out the tuna and slice thinly.
    4. Squeeze some lemon juice and olive oil over the rocket and pile up in the centre of a plate. Lay the tuna slices around the rocket and dress.
    5. Make the dressing: liquidise the tomatoes together with the chilli and sieve. Add the sugar syrup and reduce in a pan until thick and sweet. Season well. Allow to cool then dribble over the tuna.

Thank you Mike Robinson for that one.

Since the weather is still shit: Cheese Fondue - a winner for everyone

400g Gruyere & 400g Emmental (for 4 people)
    Garlic
    dash of milk
    Dash of Kirsch

French Bread
    Crudites of carrot & celery
    Cauliflower & Broccolli.

Finely grate the cheese, rub the garlic around the fondue dish, slowly over a very low heat - melt the cheese constantly stirring, add a dash of milk to make it creamy and a dash of kirsch for depth of flavour.

Fondue - Done.

Gordon’s fucking fuck fuck version of a fucking soufflé with fucking goat’s cheese and fucking parmesan flavour.

Serves 8
    Ingredients

* Softened butter, to grease the dishes
    * 500g baby leaf spinach, washed
    * Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    * 3 tbsp olive oil
    * 1 banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
    * 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely crushed
    * 40g plain flour
    * Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
    * 250ml semi-skimmed milk
    * 200g soft goat’s cheese
    * 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan
    * 4 large eggs, separated

Method: how to make Spinach and goat’s cheese soufflé

1. Heat the oven to 200˚C/Gas 6. Brush 8 ramekins, 150ml capacity, with very soft butter, using upwards strokes. Set them on a baking tray, chill for 15 minutes, then repeat with another coating of butter.

2. Set a large pan over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the spinach and some seasoning. Stir for a few minutes until the leaves have wilted, adding a tiny splash of water as necessary. Tip into a colander set over a large bowl. Cool slightly, then wrap the spinach in a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess moisture. Chop finely and set aside.

3. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and add the shallot and garlic. Stir over a medium heat for 4–6 minutes until soft. Add the flour and cayenne pepper and stir over a low heat for 3–4 minutes to cook out the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk. Simmer and stir for a few more minutes until the mixture becomes quite thick. Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly.

4. Whisk the cooled soufflé base until its smooth then mix in the egg yolks, add the chopped spinach and mix well. Crumble in the goat’s cheese, add the Parmesan and a little seasoning and stir to combine. Set aside.

5. Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl with an electric whisk to firm peaks, then fold into the spinach and cheese mixture until just combined. Spoon into the prepared ramekins and tap gently on the work surface to get rid of any large air pockets, make sure there is no mixture round the edges of the ramekin. Bake for 13–15 minutes until risen and golden brown on top. Serve immediately, with a simple side salad.

Next question please......

14. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I'm an enforced Veggie...i.e. the wife is veggie. She isn't militant about it but there is no reason to cook 2 meals when I can eat the veggie option.

So suggestions:

Curry - Thai or sweet potatoe
    Chilli - with quorn mince, honestly you'll hardly taste the difference.
    Stir fry - with quorn pieces and noodles...piece of piss to make.

or as my Mum does when we stay:

Serve exactly what you would normally, but substitute the meat part with something veggie from the frozen section in Tescos.

My wife has no issues with us eating meat infront of her, to be honest any veggie who does is an idiot, so we have our meal she has hers..the difference is minimal.

S_R

p.s. if you want some recipes just PM me.

p.p.s if she eats fish she isn't veggie...feel free to press this point on a regular basis...it's even worse if she eats chicken like the last veggie I met!!!

15. See my previous :wink:

People suggesting fecking Tuna, quit it. Too expensive for the silly cow. Why waste money on something of quality.